Author Topic: USS Discovery  (Read 795 times)

Offline Aaron

• "Lana. Lana. Lana! LANA!! ...Danger Zone."
    • View Profile
USS Discovery
« on: July 27, 2016, 10:54:25 AM »
I can't express in words how disappointed I am in the design of the USS Discovery, but I'll try to come close.
It looks terrible; like it was made by a 4-year-old who had just seen his first TNG episode.  It's a horrible design.  It doesn't look sleek, or stealthy, or badass, or fast, or powerful, or unique, or anything else that would make people raise their eyebrows and think "Now THIS is something I'd like to tune in and see every week!"  It's obvious that the design was taken from Ralph McQuarrie's "Planet of the Titans" designs.  Now, don't get me wrong, Ralph McQuarrie is a genius; but his designs for Star Trek were awful.  And because they were awful, they were never used.  The Discovery is based off the rejected designs of a rejected movie.  At least the NX-class, for all its faults, was based off a successful design (the Akira class.)  Even the Abrams version of the Enterprise looks better than the Discovery!  Heck, the kit bash ships from the DS9 backgrounds look more innovative than the Discovery!  At least they look like someone put some thought into their designs.  The USS Discovery looks like someone was 5 minutes from a pitch meeting with no ideas, grabbed the first design they could find, and somehow everybody went with it.  Am I alone in thinking this?

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
Re: USS Discovery
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 11:18:24 AM »
A) Welcome to the forum!
B) No you are not alone in disliking the Discovery design, or thinking the video was of low quality.
C) It has already been stated that the design is NOT final.  The video was mainly done to show off the song in the video and it has been admitted that it was quickly put together.
D) I'm not sure this is in the right sub-forum, probably would be better in "General Trek Discussion".  I'm sure a Mod will move it if they feel the need to.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Aaron

• "Lana. Lana. Lana! LANA!! ...Danger Zone."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 12:35:32 PM »
Thanks for welcoming me!  I really needed to vent about the Discovery.  Sorry about the forum mixup.  This was my first post.  I'm having trouble finding the forum you mentioned.  Can you give me a hint as to where to go?

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 01:40:16 PM »
General Trek Discussion: http://www.subspace-comms.net/index.php?board=5.0
The thread on the Star Trek: Discovery series.

Also from the index page, scroll down past the "Creativity and Design" section (which contains four forums), and Gen Trek is the first forum in the "Star Trek" section.

And here's a link to the "New Member Guide to Posting" thread that may help you out, although most of the links in it will be dead.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”