Author Topic: Nostalgia...jump on the bandwagon!!!  (Read 3041 times)

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
Nostalgia...jump on the bandwagon!!!
« on: August 20, 2016, 04:25:37 PM »
While I was commenting on a thread in the art forum, it occurred to me that I've been wasting my time here for about 14 years now.
During that time, I've seen a lot of users come and go, had a lot of fun, made some good friends and lost some others.

Anyway, let's all reminisce about the good old days.

How long have you been at SCN?
What do you remember most?
How have things changed since you became a member?
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Online Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
Re: Nostalgia...jump on the bandwagon!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 04:56:44 PM »
I originally joined Feb of '04. So, slightly over 12 years. I don't even remember how I found the place, but I lurked some before I decided to join. I wanted to get a feel for how things were done so I wouldn't get caught making too many newbie mistakes once I pulled the trigger.

What do I remember most? Some of the more colorful people who've showed up over the years.

Changes? Mostly people coming and going. Mostly going. Some just stopped coming for whatever reason, others... yeah. And the look of the place. On that last point if I'm totally honest, I still prefer the old, darker, look. But it's not something I'm going to press.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 06:49:57 PM »
I joined in January of '07 so 9 years 7 months.  I found this place after visiting EAS and a few other sites for a while.  Lurked for a few months to get a feel for the place before joining. 

As far as what I remember the most, Bond's epic essays and learning not to feed the trolls with the "Proof that people are illogical" thread. 

As for changes since I've been here... In regards to the forum a few different skins (I too prefer the darker scheme of old), and definitely the drop in numbers.  With regards to myself in ways that relate to the forum, my drawing skills have improved since joining.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 08:37:43 PM »
I think I joined in '03.

The thing I remember the most is the "Where do shuttlecraft come from?" conversation in the chat room. Also Kevin, we had fun making fun of that guy.

SCN isn't as active as it used to be. I think there's only a handful of us left that post regularly. Hopefully with the new series, and the 50th coming up, we see some new members.

Remember that guy whose name was all numbers (22something) had that rant about abortion out of nowhere?
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 11:15:44 PM »
I joined in July of 2002 so like Jimi Ive been here for 14 years.

Bond's essays definitely come to mind as well as some of the more spirited debates here during the height of Enterprise.

The forum has quieted down quite a bit lately.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 07:57:52 AM »
Remember that guy whose name was all numbers (22something) had that rant about abortion out of nowhere?

I think remember someone that was all numbers that started with 22, but I don't remember an abortion rant.  I do remember a topic about whaling that turned into a zombie apocalypse survival guide and a thread about the Army shooting pigs to train medics that turned into a Libertarian "let's make OCP run Detroit from Robocop a reality" debate.  I also remember a guy who would post things that looked like the ravings of someone tripping balls.  Fun times, fun times.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 09:58:16 PM »
I think I joined sometime in 2003, as I think I was still in AFROTC at the time.  I started out just in Bernd's JoAT forums since I was basically coaxed into joining by him as we corresponded over email at the time.  I remember I was a lot more conservative at the time, too, and that it was actually discussion in the "Get a Life" forum that got me to spread out into the rest of the board.

Something notable is that Foundations got its start here as Enterprise Redux, which was actually my second attempt at fan fic after being inspired by the Renaissance series being hosted by SCN at the time I joined.

As for stuff that changed, aside from what everyone else says about being slower around here, there's also the obvious thing about switching from the old software to SMF.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 06:13:15 AM »
Oh yeah, I had nearly forgotten. We went premium with a paid service for a while. The paid forums, which still allowed for free members, had a lot of interesting features that we lost when we switched, though none of them really took off in a huge way.

It was disappointing that Renaissance failed to keep going, since it had been such a driving force within the community.

We ran a lot of design competitions over the years as well. A lot of great work and awesome designs came out of those comps.
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 06:52:16 AM »
For about a year or two the chat room as well used. Had some great times in there.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 09:41:23 AM »
Something notable is that Foundations got its start here as Enterprise Redux, which was actually my second attempt at fan fic after being inspired by the Renaissance series being hosted by SCN at the time I joined.

Similarly, I was inspired by Renaissance.  I had had ideas bouncing around in my head since the late 90's and it was the cancellation of Enterprise and reading Renaissance (which was already pretty much dead at the time I found it) that got me to try the whole script based "virtual series" thing.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 11:50:03 AM »
For about a year or two the chat room as well used. Had some great times in there.

Oh yeah, when the Chat room made its mark, we had some good times.

And going off the sentiment expressed by both CX and TNC, I think Renaissance inspired a lot of people to branch out and create something new for themselves.

Online Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 02:19:14 PM »
(Finger Snap) Now I remember how I found this place. It was Renaissance. I remember some of the biggest debates we had about that one were related to how it sometimes went further than what would be allowed on TV at the time they were writing it.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 06:36:45 PM »
I was disappointed Renaissance ended before they finally made it to the full on civil war story they were working towards.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 08:09:06 AM »
I don't think I ever read past Renaissance's 2nd season to be honest.

And going off the sentiment expressed by both CX and TNC, I think Renaissance inspired a lot of people to branch out and create something new for themselves.

I'd be lying if I said that it just inspired me to write in script format and attempt the virtual series thing.  It did a lot to inspire tone, one of my characters has a lot of similarities with Capt. Cross (personality wise, especially in the sequels), and a Romulan Starfleet Tactical officer loosely inspired by the Romulan character in Renaissance.

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2016, 07:11:14 AM »
We launched the predecessor (ezboard) some time in early 2000:
http://web.archive.org/web/20010201200900/http://pub10.ezboard.com/btrektech.html

Then, in 2002, came the Infopop board (hosted by Charles Capps):
http://web.archive.org/web/20020802005541/http://scn.infopop.net/0/OpenTopic

The SMF forum was launched in 2006:
http://web.archive.org/web/20070807011840/http://www.subspace-comms.net/
http://web.archive.org/web/20110514160615/http://www.subspace-comms.net/

The most obvious change over the years in my view (besides the traffic that has gone down) is that the SCN was a project and a site feedback board but then became a community.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2016, 05:26:37 PM »
I'm still hoping that the new series may bring some new users to the board.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2016, 12:57:24 PM »
^Ones that post, we've had a fair amount of people join who never posted anything, and may have never even logged on.

Online Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2016, 04:54:36 PM »
Those are the ones that bug me.

Offline Greg

• Lord of Lava Lamp
  • Eminent Member
  • Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2016, 07:42:45 PM »
I joined in May 2002 (that link to how the board looked at the time brings back a fair few memories...), but stopped posting in 2011, so 9 active years before I just drifted away. I think I actively lurked for about another year. Now I visit every few months at most, but honestly, seeing how quiet the place has become just makes me sad when I think back on how it used to be.

I find it hard to pick just one thing I remember most, because there's 3 big ones to me. Renaissance is first one, it was what brought me to the boards and was a big inspiration for my biggest memory from SCN; The Breen War. Obviously, this was a huge part of SCN for and Manticore, and while many people on the board were involved with it one way or another, it was our baby and something we still discuss/reminisce/consider rebooting every couple years. The last thing is the Artwork board. Outside of TBW, it was my biggest focus on SCN, particularly once I became a mod and started organising the competitions. Even before that, I always checked that board first, seeing what new work had been posted, given feedback or posting my own work. Some amazing work was posted on there over the years, Galen and Clawhammer being 2 of the standouts.

As for changes? Hoooo boy, there's been a lot. From literal board changes in hosting, the levels of activity the forum has SCN, going from being a little newbie to a mod and ultimately a lurker. The brief time we had the chatroom (I remember showing up drunk in there more than a few times while at university). The look as well, I know I'll always subconsciously expect to see the old, darker theme when I come here.

And of course, there's all the people such as Bond, Flagg, Stoo, USS Paladin, Madcat, Chemahkuu, BorgMan and so many more that came and went over the years that made this place the busy little community it was. I still miss how the board was in it's heyday, had a lot of good times here and it helped cement Trek as being one of the big pop-culture loves of my life.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 07:49:23 PM by Greg »

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2016, 06:12:30 AM »
Boy those screenshots do bring back memories.  Luckily Xero and I went scrounging around the archives and found the original SCN charter

*reads charter*

Hey, according to the charter, as Board legend, I’m supposed to get a pig every month! And "two comely lasses of virtue true".

Xero: Keep the pig, how many broads do I get?
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2016, 02:29:58 PM »
Wait, I get a pig every month?!  Free bacon for life?!  Fuck yeah!

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2016, 12:48:46 AM »
You know the really sad thing for me, though?  I was banned back in 2009, and the admins were kind enough to let me back in, and it took me like 2 hours to catch up on what I'd missed.  :-\
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2016, 02:45:18 AM »
You know the really sad thing for me, though?  I was banned back in 2009, and the admins were kind enough to let me back in, and it took me like 2 hours to catch up on what I'd missed.  :-\

That has more to do with the fact that most discussions take place in the secret forum where every full moon we make a blood sacrifice to the dark ones.