Author Topic: TNT's The Last Ship $Spoilers$  (Read 1554 times)

Offline Jon

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
TNT's The Last Ship $Spoilers$
« on: August 21, 2016, 08:11:11 PM »
Who's been keeping tabs on The Last Ship? Been watching since it first aired. Awesome show.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 06:06:59 PM by Jon »

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
Re: TNT's The Last Ship
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 08:05:51 AM »
I've been watching it.  Pretty good, though I have to subtract 5 points for Chandler always going off on "away missions" like he was Kirk.  It's even worse now that he's basically the head of the Navy, that would be like if Into Darkness had opened with Admiral Marcus trying do detonate the ice bomb in the Nibiru volcano.

Although I do have to add 5 points for the episode where they engaged the Chinese destroyer, since it was never in visual range.  Unlike Trek battles where ships with weapons that have 400,000 km or more ranges are throwing torpedoes and phaser beams at each other from like 100 m or less away.

Should this thread have spoiler tags?  Or are we doing the tiny text?
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Online Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
Re: TNT's The Last Ship
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 08:40:56 AM »
I've been watching it since it premiered. I enjoy it a lot.

I'm hoping Kara shoves a grenade up Shaw's ass.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Jon

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
Re: TNT's The Last Ship $Spoilers$
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 06:17:20 PM »
I've been watching it.  Pretty good, though I have to subtract 5 points for Chandler always going off on "away missions" like he was Kirk.  It's even worse now that he's basically the head of the Navy, that would be like if Into Darkness had opened with Admiral Marcus trying do detonate the ice bomb in the Nibiru volcano.

Although I do have to add 5 points for the episode where they engaged the Chinese destroyer, since it was never in visual range.  Unlike Trek battles where ships with weapons that have 400,000 km or more ranges are throwing torpedoes and phaser beams at each other from like 100 m or less away.

Should this thread have spoiler tags?  Or are we doing the tiny text?

Changed title for the spoiler tag.

I agree...This 3rd season started out with no general direction (it seemed), then they pulled it all together for what it's leading up to now.

I've been watching it since it premiered. I enjoy it a lot.

I'm hoping Kara shoves a grenade up Shaw's ass.

^This! Since they introduced Shaw, I always thought something was off...she's a snake!

Though, I have to say, the coup wasn't what I thought it would be. We knew already that the independent leaders in the US quite possibly would form a coup, in which they did. However, what I didn't know was that China's Peng was in cooperation with the coup.

With that said...From beginning to now, everyone wants Chandler dead! And he won't die.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 08:00:59 AM »
I also have to give points to Reporter Guy for being actually "fair an balanced".  Sure he was coming off as a Cliche Jerk ReporterTM and giving Michener and Kara a hard time, but as soon as the new administration did an about face on policies, he was going "WTF?", tried to ask hard questions, and helped out Kara.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 08:16:17 PM »
Well Peng's out of the picture.  There's only two episodes left to resolve the coup situation.  Anyone else find it odd that Rhona Mitra's still credited in each episode this season?

Offline Jon

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 05:06:25 PM »
I've never paid any attention to the credits. That is odd though. Kara should have shot Shaw in the hallway...Her hesitation has already bit her back. It was interesting to see Maylan step up to the plate and take command in the NJ CIC, considering what happened in the last episode.

Anyone else think they will utilize the Henan in the next episode?

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 01:12:50 PM »
Well maybe not the credits, but she's listed in Dish Network info window for the show.  I'll have to double check the credits next episode.  It was a little weird how quickly Maylan turned, but that's okay.  And yes, Kara should have shot Shaw.  They mentioned "having the Henan" so I hope they use it.  Also I wonder what will happen back in China now that Peng is gone and if anyone else in on his genocide plans.

Offline Jon

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2016, 08:12:28 PM »
Well I was kind of right. They used the Henan as bait. The rejoining of the crew and Oliver was good, and swaying Castillo's forces was even better.

One episode left...I hope they make it count! Such a thrilling season.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 02:19:10 PM »
How quickly Castillo's forces turned speaks volumes over how much of a bastard he is...  I hope they tomahawk that Southern territories leader's house first, really don't like her.  Also it's amazing the Regional Leaders were able to pull off this coup considering how they were going at each other in that one scene.

Oh, and it's just Dish Network's guide info that credit's Rhona Mitra.

Online Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 08:42:43 AM »
Shaw is dead! Hurray! Tex is dead... Nooooo!!!
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 03:57:35 PM »
^Also Price is dead! Yay!

Shaw: "You didn't save the world! You brought out the worst in people!"
Me: "Uh, no bitch, the plague did that."

The show has been renewed for two more seasons.

Also +50 points for Chandler staying on board the James during the Regional Leader capture mission and directing the teams through CIC rather than leading one of the teams.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 04:00:18 PM by TNC »

Offline Jon

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 05:02:12 PM »
Yeah loved and hated the season finale. But was great! Nabbing the regional leaders was nice.

It kind of got intense when the drone controller was left on auto-launch and Kara had to crack into it, especially when the CIWS ran out of ammo.

Shaw kept babbling on and on and Chandler shot her, after that and seeing Tex die in front of him. Killed in cold blood out of revenge, he knew he crossed the line that he kept tip-toeing on.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 05:03:43 PM by Jon »

Offline Jon

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2017, 09:10:00 PM »
Double episode premiere tonight for Season 4 was good and different. The virus has mutated to target plant life now instead of humans, and human's are now either cured or immune from it. This is season's arc seems to be about an ancient african seed that is immune to the virus.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2017, 11:01:37 PM »
It's a nice start for the season.  Turns out the Red Flu started out as a plant virus, jumped to humans, then jumped back to plants.  Don't quite get why it would make plants turn red, and I don't know if viruses can actually jump from animals to plants and back again.  I also find it a bit unlikely that it would infect, all plant life as the show seems to suggest (all of certain types of food crops, perhaps, but not all plant life).

Anywho, I get the feeling the Gregorio guy's "master" is going to be linked to this Omar guy. 

Some random thoughts/observations
-This idea of the virus turning the plant's red and this Greek herb turning into an hallucinogen because of it reminds me of Syfy's 12 Monkeys series. 
-Chandler calling himself "Nobody" reminds me of The Odyssey where Odysseus tells the cyclops his name is "Nobody" (Nemo in the Latin translation).
-In Season 1 IIRC they were in the Atlantic, Season 2 it was Atlantic/Gulf of Mexico, Season 3 was Pacific, and now Season 4 is in the Mediterranean.
-I wonder if the show will address that the Navy is phasing out the blue digital camo uniforms they're using on the show (IIRC those current uniforms have some kind of flammability issue going on), or just ignore it since this is all post-apocalypse and ain't nobody got time for designing new uniforms.
-The Red Flu killed 5 billion people.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2017, 09:26:46 PM »
Wasn't that Doctore person Peter Weller?

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2017, 03:47:00 PM »
Overall this season was pretty good.  I couldn't help but think about Metal Gear Solid 4, when they nearly rammed the James into that Greek ship.