Author Topic: Majel Barrett  (Read 683 times)

Offline Aaron

• "Lana. Lana. Lana! LANA!! ...Danger Zone."
    • View Profile
Majel Barrett
« on: September 06, 2016, 12:47:14 PM »
Apparently the official Roddenberry Twitter account has said that they have collected enough phonetic data of the late Majel Barrett that her voice may be used in the new "Discovery" show for the LCARS computer system.

If this ends up happening, I'm going to be very disappointed.  "Discovery" is supposed to be set a decade earlier than TOS, so we can assume the technology is less sophisticated than that of the original 1701, which used a robotic-sounding male voice for the computer. 

Plus, I bet it would get very annoying for a young Christine Chapel to constantly be told "Hey, you sound JUST like the LCARS!"

That's my opinion, but you're welcome to it.

Online Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
Re: Majel Barrett
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 01:52:52 PM »
Actually, the male voice was rather rare. I pretty much only remember it being used in Mirror, Mirror. If they managed this, I'd be very impressed. The only thing they'd have to deal with is is fact that, as you said, it was rather robotic.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 02:10:45 PM »
I don't know about this, seems a bit disrespectful...  Of course, this could be just a rumor.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Online Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 02:14:50 PM »
I checked the Roddenberry account after posting. While they are planning an add-on for Siri, they also said it is a possibility.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 08:03:11 PM »
I have no problem with this. Sounds pretty cool, and because of the Roddenberrys' love of technology, she may have approved of of it.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 11:53:58 PM »
Yeah I dont see the problem wither.  I mean it is a computer voice it should sound somewhat robotic.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Simon

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • Patria Domus: Hub to my Many Websites
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 12:44:35 AM »
I wouldn't see the problem with this...especially given Majel voiced that robotic computer voice in an number of episodes of TOS. ;)