Author Topic: Buying a new laptop  (Read 626 times)

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
Buying a new laptop
« on: December 21, 2016, 11:49:40 PM »
So I'm kind of looking at getting a new laptop. I don't need anything real fancy, but I do like to have at least 2 usb ports (preferably 3, though) and an HDMI port. To be honest, this is simply replacing the netbook I currently have. Why don't I get a new netbook? Well, because honestly all the ones I've looked at kind of suck, even next to the netbook I currently have, or don't look like an improvement considering the expense of getting them (looking at memory and processor mostly). I have found a few laptops that have me interested, though, and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about them in terms of a good or bad reputation:

Dell i3552-3240BLK laptop
Dell Latitude E6430
Acer Aspire ES 15 ES1-572-37X2
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
Re: Buying a new laptop
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 02:13:20 AM »
Well, this won't answer your question directly, but in the last decade or so I've had 3 laptops: 2 Dells and a Toshiba. I was not impressed with the Toshiba.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 01:34:07 PM »
Well since 2005 I'm on my third Dell.  The one I've got now has 3 USB ports and an HDMI port, don't know what model it is though.  I don't have any complaints against Dell and don't keep up with computers enough to know of any.  I know Kestra had issues with HP back in the day. 

I don't have much experience with Dell's customer service, the only time I called them was when Dell No. 2 had an issue with the power cord that was registering as the wrong voltage or whatever and wouldn't charge the battery.  They tried to fix the issue remotely and when that didn't work they sent a technician out.  The technician looked it over and replaced the cord, which IIRC was a defective model.

Dell No. 2 bit the dust last year (after about 5 years of use).  Dell No. 1 actually still works (last I checked), its just that the monitor doesn't work, the keyboard is a little messed up and I'm not sure the wireless keyboard and mouse I bought still work, it takes a while to boot up, and its WiFi was always a little unreliable.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 05:16:53 PM »
Just to counter FLO, I had a Toshiba Satellite laptop back in 2007 that was rock solid. I used that thing for several years until it finally fell apart.

I've never owned a Dell or Acer so I can't speak to their brand quality.
Depending on how much you have to spend, you might consider having someplace custom build you something. Didn't Dell buy Alien Ware? They were supposed to be good though I'm not sure some of that was just hype and good PR. Origin PC will build you just about anything you want in any configuration, so I'd suggest checking them out. They can be a bit pricey though when you start customizing things.

It depends on what you're going to use the laptop for. If it's just a side machine to compliment your desktop and won't see much heavy use in terms of performance, then an off the shelf model will likely do. If however this is going to be your main system, then I highly suggest investing in something specialized or custom built.

Personally, in terms of desktops I built my last one and will never buy an off the shelf model again. The last desktop I bought was an HP and it lasted a long time, almost seven years...I'm still using the monitor that came with it. Last year though I used some of my left over financial aid to strip the old HP for parts and enough new parts to build a practically brand new desktop.

Laptops however are another matter when it comes to custom builds because of the form factor, so like I said before it all depends on what you plan on using it for.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 10:55:27 PM »
If you check Dell's website for gaming computers they're all Alien Wares, so they either bought them or have some kind of distribution deal or something with them.  When you order on Dell's site you can customize it to an extent, selecting a bigger hard drive or battery or whatever.  Though the options are probably more limited than a custom build site (or maybe its just laptops that are limited, IIRC there were usually 4 options at most for each category).
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 01:58:44 PM »
Just to throw a little fuel on the fire, I've had a MacBook (non pro but still aluminum unibody) since 2008 and other than having to replace the battery a couple times its been absolutely amazing. Bumped the ram up to 4GB after having it for a couple months, just recently threw a SSD into it and am highly considering grabbing the 8GB memory upgrade and throwing that in it to squeeze another couple years out of it.

That being said you usually get what you pay for and that can be said about any brand, my brother picked up a Dell laptop a year or so after I got my Mac, it was $699 or something along those lines (this is going back a couple years obviously) and it lasted him a little over a year. Slowly the hinges started to wear out on it from opening and closing and then one day one of them actually broke off but even before that happened he needed to prop his screen against something to keep it from totally flattening out.

After he broke that one he ended up buying a HP used, was originally worth about $1399 or something like that and it was two years old when he bought it (paid the guy like $600 for the computer and two extended batteries) and that laptop is still going strong today, he ended up giving it to our mom a couple years ago when he went out and bought himself an alienware which again he paid an arm and a leg for but its been solid.

So when it comes down to it go out and play with them, see if they feel cheap in your hands or if they seem like they will be able to hold up to the test of time. With computers being so disposable these days you should definitely look into whatever you can get the best warranty on.

If it were me and I wanted to go windows I would probably rather look at something like the Surface, little more money and cant expand it but gives you alot more options. Its a step up from the netbook and probably still more powerful than half the Laptops out there but thats just me. I hate windows most of the time so next time I buy a computer to replace this MacBook it will probably just be for a more updated Mac.
N.I.G.G.A. - Never Ignorant Gettin' Goals Acomplished
"If a man hasn't discovered something he will die for, he isn't fit to live." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
CIDvision :: the breen war :: trekonline