Author Topic: Ghost in the Shell (2017)  (Read 451 times)

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
Ghost in the Shell (2017)
« on: April 08, 2017, 05:33:11 PM »
I just watched it today.  It'll take me a bit to fully organize my thoughts, but my first impressions are thus (do not read if you don't want spoilers):

- They completely wasted the characters, and failed to establish any kind of connection/comradery between them.  So it rang false when there was supposed to be character drama.  Like, why does that one doctor feel the way toward the Major that she does? 

- The referral to the main character as simply "Major" rather than "the Major" was somewhat jarring to me.

- They went through great lengths to copy iconic imagery from the first two movies, yet completely changed the circumstances of them, and with the garbage men the change made no sense.

- It came off as them snatching names and iconography from the previous adaptations with their own made up shit as the actual substance of it, which came off as rather ham-fisted the majority of the time, especially how they kept explaining the concept of the fully-prosthetic body and name-dropping the show.

-A lot of the establishing shots of the city looked fake as hell, partly or maybe even mostly because of the giant ad holograms.  It's funny how much more convincing similar shots in 1982's Bladerunner were in comparison.

- I was rather disappointed that the Major didn't get an opportunity to show what an awesome hacker she was supposed to be.

- The plot really rubbed me the wrong way, because while I'll be the first to say that adaptations don't have to be exactly like the source material, they deviated so much from it that it might as well not be GitS.  Instead we got a recycled amnesia/revenge story with elements of "The Evil Corporation" not unlike what was in the Total Recall remake (and RoboCop from what I've heard).  It felt like I was essentially watching the same movie with different window-dressing.

- Other than the cityscapes, the movie was rather good-looking, though I had a laugh at the elimination of the Major's nipples from all the shots they were ripping off from the 1995 movie.

- I also liked that Aramaki was able to speak Japanese and everyone was able to understand him, as given the level of technology this only makes sense to me.  I also liked that it was not explained to death or even at all, really.  It's probably the only thing in the movie that wasn't explained to death like the audience was a bunch of idiots or something.  I do kind of think Kusinagi's mother should have been able to do the same thing, though.  Although part of me doesn't like that she has a living mother like this (her background being mysterious was honestly some of her appeal).

- The soundtrack was barely noticeable, and did nothing to stand out on its own.  The first two movies and Stand Alone Complex all had outstanding soundtracks that stand out on their own and complimented the movie/series very well.  The only use of the iconic wedding theme from the first film was relegated to the end credits (rather like Abrams Trek if you think about it), and made no sense in the context of the actual story beyond the fact that it was something from the original movie.  Of course, this seems to be the movie in a nutshell.  I am so disappointed, even though I was expecting to be disappointed.  :(
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
Re: Ghost in the Shell (2017)
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 06:22:29 PM »
I was wondering which camp you fell into with respect to this movie...

My thoughts on this one? I saw it opening day. Overall, I liked it. If nothing else, I consider it a relatively decent, if not good, introduction to some of the concepts in GitS.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 05:22:02 AM »
I'll probably check it out when it comes out on VOD but to be honest I wasn't that crazy about the original anime movie.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 11:30:02 AM »
I don't care that much for anime or its adaptations and I'm not sure whether I'm going to see it, but it is pleasant for a change to read a review about Ghost in the Shell without a comment on "whitewashing".

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 02:24:31 PM »
I'd say this one is worth at least one watch. Since you're going in blind that won't be a problem. I went with a friend (this was one of my rare I pick it out myself movies) and she went in blind, but came out interested enough to have me show her some of what came before. All I have to do now is gather more than what I have, which is easier said than done.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 07:24:36 PM »
I'll repeat what I said over in the General Media News thread.  Mostly...

The movie did not disappoint me.  I thought it was a solid adaptation of the '95 movie with a good bit from both seasons of Stand Alone Complex thrown into the mix (and apparently a nod to the prequel Arise).  I disagree with CX to a point about character camradery as there was some with the Major and Batou, but not quite enough really.  I liked Aramaki getting to be a total badass in an action sense.  The other characters though really could have used more screen time.  I personally would like a sequel that would give some of the other Section 9 members more to do.

As for the whitewashing controversy: Mamoru Oshii, the director of the 1995 Ghost in the Shell movie, said that he thinks Scarlett Johansson was the "best possible choice" to play the Major.

- They completely wasted the characters, and failed to establish any kind of connection/comradery between them.  So it rang false when there was supposed to be character drama.  Like, why does that one doctor feel the way toward the Major that she does? 

Which doctor? If you're referring to Dr. Ouelet, the one who tells her what has happened after she first gets her prosthetic body, I assume since she "created" the Major then its something akin to a mother/daughter bond.

- The plot really rubbed me the wrong way, because while I'll be the first to say that adaptations don't have to be exactly like the source material, they deviated so much from it that it might as well not be GitS.  Instead we got a recycled amnesia/revenge story with elements of "The Evil Corporation" not unlike what was in the Total Recall remake (and RoboCop from what I've heard).  It felt like I was essentially watching the same movie with different window-dressing.

Which RoboCop?  Because both versions had elements of Evil Corporation and amnesia/revenge story.  In the first one they completely took away Murphy's memory from the beginning and the remake its more of a slow and gradual memory/emotion suppression to make him a more effective weapon.  Granted the first one was more "corrupt executive in a morally dubious corporation" and it wasn't until RoboCop 3 that OCP went full Evil Corp.

- I was rather disappointed that the Major didn't get an opportunity to show what an awesome hacker she was supposed to be.

Well in this movie she's only been on the job a year so maybe her skills haven't developed to the level seen in previous adaptations. Alternatively you could argue that her hacking skills came from her Motoko Kusanagi memories and those memories were suppressed throughout the bulk of the movie.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 09:13:40 PM »
Which doctor? If you're referring to Dr. Ouelet, the one who tells her what has happened after she first gets her prosthetic body, I assume since she "created" the Major then its something akin to a mother/daughter bond.
Yes, that's exactly who I mean.  They establish she's killed an awful lot of people just like the Major, yet in this case she suddenly has a motherly feelings toward her?  Were they reciprocated at all, because I sure didn't get that out of the movie.

Which RoboCop?
The more recent remake.

Well in this movie she's only been on the job a year so maybe her skills haven't developed to the level seen in previous adaptations. Alternatively you could argue that her hacking skills came from her Motoko Kusanagi memories and those memories were suppressed throughout the bulk of the movie.
That doesn't make any sense given the backstory given to her.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR