Author Topic: (DS9: Valiant) Why did Nog not take command of the Valiant?  (Read 332 times)

Offline Terran Imperial

• Food!
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
in Valiant, Nog and jake are rescued by the Valiant, a crew manned entirely by cadets and captained by cadet Tim Watters. Eventually plot happens and 'Captain' watters leads the Valiant into a suicide mission against a Dominion battleship. As expected, they lose, the Valiant is destroyed, and only Nog, Jake and Collins survive. The thing that I don't get though is that Nog (a commissioned officer) outranked everyone on that ship (cadets), and could have pulled rank and stop their doomed mission (correct me if i'm wrong), but instead plays along up until the end, when the Valiant is about to blow up . My question is why didn't he?:o
Just a question i had after re-watching this episode.
So, do you remember me
In those moments just before you sleep?
I know you remember me
Swear to me the memory isn't seen
Promise me
That it doesn't make your heart beat
Doesn't make your heart beat

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
Re: (DS9: Valiant) Why did Nog not take command of the Valiant?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 07:22:23 PM »
Watters was given a field commission to Captain, since they seemed to be using British Naval tradition, Watters was a Captain with all the rights and privileges. In that tradition the only person that could take away that rank from him would have been a flag officer.

On a side note, the whole thing does make him a captain for the history books, since he would have been 17 or 18 at the time, he may have been the youngest starship captain in Starfleet history.

Offline Terran Imperial

• Food!
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 09:33:49 PM »
Interesting
I learned something new today
So, do you remember me
In those moments just before you sleep?
I know you remember me
Swear to me the memory isn't seen
Promise me
That it doesn't make your heart beat
Doesn't make your heart beat

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 01:38:04 AM »
Yeah, the writers said they used the British Naval tradition that Xero mentioned to justify why Nog didn't even try to take over. If you want another reason, the cadets were Red Squad. During his Academy days, Nog tried to get in the Squad at one point. He still idolized them even at the point where the episode started.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 01:38:24 PM »
On a side note, the whole thing does make him a captain for the history books, since he would have been 17 or 18 at the time, he may have been the youngest starship captain in Starfleet history.

Definitely the youngest starship captain in Starfleet history.  Janeway and Sisko were both in their 30's when they hit captain, Picard might have been in his 20's when he took command of the Stargazer.  In TNG: "Conspiracy" there was that female captain (Scott IIRC) who Picard said was the youngest in history, and she looked like she was in her 20's at least.  Hell even Kelvin-timeline Kirk wasn't that young.

Yeah, the writers said they used the British Naval tradition that Xero mentioned to justify why Nog didn't even try to take over. If you want another reason, the cadets were Red Squad. During his Academy days, Nog tried to get in the Squad at one point. He still idolized them even at the point where the episode started.

I think Nog idolized them still even after the Valiant was destroyed, IIRC Jake was the only one who thought Captain Watters was a dumbass for going on that suicide mission.  I could be wrong though since I haven't seen the episode in years.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”