Author Topic: Auxiliary spacecraft (22nd century and early 23rd century)  (Read 846 times)

Offline Terran Imperial

• Food!
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
Auxiliary spacecraft (22nd century and early 23rd century)
« on: June 15, 2017, 07:10:42 AM »
A topic for various auxiliary craft and shuttles that I'll be making.

Concord Type Shuttle pod
An updated version of the one currently on the JoAT.

Type: Shuttlepod
First commissioned: 2185
Length: 8.25m
Width: 4.9m
Height: 2.5m
Decks: 1
Complement: 1 officers + 4 crew
Speed: Warp 1 (cruise), Warp 2 (max.), Warp 2.5 (max. emergency)
Sublight speed: 0.25c (max.)
Armament: 2 forward phaser turrets
Defense: Polarized hull plating

The Concord Type Shuttlepod was developed alongside the Rockwell class. For all intents and purposes it was essentially a replacement for the NX type pods introduced decades earlier.

The Concord Types, unlike their predecessors, were equipped with a limited warp drive. The class featured two impulse drive units. Two stabilizing units flanked the warp nacelles, allowing for smooth atmospheric flight. Due to their shape, the Concord Types were sometimes referred to by star fleet crews as Flying Bricks (a term coined by Lt Cmdr. Helen Ross during the skirmish on Andoria in early September of 2187). On the inside the cramped interior was sometimes compared to a closet. Emergency medical supplies were behind panels on the side of the cockpit. The ship was armed minimally with two phaser turrets hidden behind retractable hull plating on the nose section.

These shuttlepods were usually stored in the underside of the hull on a Rockwell Class starship, which typically had enough room for six.

model: https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/bb24ed8e-e11f-46c1-8242-80da68b9a389/Concord-Type-Shuttlepod

So, do you remember me
In those moments just before you sleep?
I know you remember me
Swear to me the memory isn't seen
Promise me
That it doesn't make your heart beat
Doesn't make your heart beat

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
Re: Auxiliary spacecraft (22nd century and early 23rd century)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 08:49:26 AM »
Sweet. You prove that simple shapes don't have to be boring.

Offline Sprinklez

• View Profile
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 03:59:52 PM »
I honestly kind of torn. I like the idea and the details, but I don't particularly care for the simple shape. However, I do like the fact that it can dock onto the underside of the Rockwell, as shown on JoAT. Nicely done.
“This is not the end, for it is not even the beginning of the end, but perhaps it is the end of the beginning” -Winston Churchill

Offline Terran Imperial

• Food!
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 10:56:39 AM »
Sweet. You prove that simple shapes don't have to be boring.
Thanks
I honestly kind of torn. I like the idea and the details, but I don't particularly care for the simple shape. However, I do like the fact that it can dock onto the underside of the Rockwell, as shown on JoAT. Nicely done.
This craft was a much needed mental break from the organic shapes of the Alternate Reality, which were driving me crazy. I've been trying to develop a small fighter/superish shuttle (Ala Delta Flyer) since June, but I have been having a tough time because of the tight size constraints of the Rockwell class shuttlebay. The only thing that I came up for that so far has been the back story, which I will not be releasing until during or after Fall 2017.
So, do you remember me
In those moments just before you sleep?
I know you remember me
Swear to me the memory isn't seen
Promise me
That it doesn't make your heart beat
Doesn't make your heart beat