Author Topic: Fox Channel's The Orville $Spoilers$  (Read 175 times)

Offline Jon

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
Fox Channel's The Orville $Spoilers$
« on: September 10, 2017, 09:07:40 AM »
The Orville premiers tonight on Fox. Any thoughts?

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
Re: Fox Channel's The Orville $Spoilers$
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 01:48:52 AM »
I couldn't watch it live, so I tracked it down online. It has potential. I found it very easy to get into. I just needed them to say what this universe's terminology was to really get the hang things.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Jon

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 04:22:38 AM »
I was able to get into quite easily and found myself liking it. Felt more like Galaxy Quest than it did Star Trek or anything else.  I can see that if non-sci-fi viewers watch this because of Mcfarlane, they may transition into the genre and watch other sci-fi shows.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 04:49:04 AM by Jon »

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 06:23:47 PM »
Felt more like Galaxy Quest than it did Star Trek or anything else.

Well that's a bit odd considering Galaxy Quest is a Trek spoof/parody/homage...  Although it did remind me of Galaxy Quest, and Star Trek, and Stargate SG-1 (Mercer's quips during battle being remincent of O'Neill's quips during dangerous situations).  And oddly enough the door opening/closing sound effects reminded me of the door sounds from older Resident Evils, particularly in the lab levels.  Oh and the Bortus character reminds me of Worf.

Anywho I liked it and see potential in it.  I guess its just a question of how long it will last on FOX. 

Fun facts
-The CMO, Dr. Clare Finn, is played by Penny Johnson Jerald who played Kasidy Yates in DS9 and Sherry Palmer in 24.
-The pilot friend of Mercer, Lt. Gordan Malloy is played by Scott Grimes, who voices Steve Smith in American Dad! and played Seabass on Justified.
-The Doctor from the research station was on a lot of things: including The Expanse, The Big Bang Theory, and DS9.
-Brandon Braga is one of the executive producers.
-At least one episode is directed by Johnathan Franks and another directed by Robert Duncan McNeill.  (I could have sworn there was another Trek alum in the opening credits but I can't find the name on IMDb...)
-Regarding the redwood/tardigrade hybrid, tardigrades (aka waterbears) are real and nigh indestructible.
“The Elachi can send their entire fleet.  We will not fall.” – Ambassador Worf – Star Trek Online – “Sphere of Influence”