Author Topic: Fox Channel's The Orville $Spoilers$  (Read 388 times)

Offline Jon

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
Fox Channel's The Orville $Spoilers$
« on: September 10, 2017, 09:07:40 AM »
The Orville premiers tonight on Fox. Any thoughts?

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
Re: Fox Channel's The Orville $Spoilers$
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 01:48:52 AM »
I couldn't watch it live, so I tracked it down online. It has potential. I found it very easy to get into. I just needed them to say what this universe's terminology was to really get the hang things.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Jon

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 04:22:38 AM »
I was able to get into quite easily and found myself liking it. Felt more like Galaxy Quest than it did Star Trek or anything else.  I can see that if non-sci-fi viewers watch this because of Mcfarlane, they may transition into the genre and watch other sci-fi shows.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 04:49:04 AM by Jon »

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 06:23:47 PM »
Felt more like Galaxy Quest than it did Star Trek or anything else.

Well that's a bit odd considering Galaxy Quest is a Trek spoof/parody/homage...  Although it did remind me of Galaxy Quest, and Star Trek, and Stargate SG-1 (Mercer's quips during battle being remincent of O'Neill's quips during dangerous situations).  And oddly enough the door opening/closing sound effects reminded me of the door sounds from older Resident Evils, particularly in the lab levels.  Oh and the Bortus character reminds me of Worf.

Anywho I liked it and see potential in it.  I guess its just a question of how long it will last on FOX. 

Fun facts
-The CMO, Dr. Clare Finn, is played by Penny Johnson Jerald who played Kasidy Yates in DS9 and Sherry Palmer in 24.
-The pilot friend of Mercer, Lt. Gordan Malloy is played by Scott Grimes, who voices Steve Smith in American Dad! and played Seabass on Justified.
-The Doctor from the research station was on a lot of things: including The Expanse, The Big Bang Theory, and DS9.
-Brandon Braga is one of the executive producers.
-At least one episode is directed by Johnathan Franks and another directed by Robert Duncan McNeill.  (I could have sworn there was another Trek alum in the opening credits but I can't find the name on IMDb...)
-Regarding the redwood/tardigrade hybrid, tardigrades (aka waterbears) are real and nigh indestructible.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 09:57:17 AM »
I really enjoyed the latest episode.  It was like a cross between TNG: "The Measure of a Man" and that episode with the androgynous aliens.

While I don't really mind the pop culture references (for a specific example, the doctor telling the tactical officer that she would be her Obi-Wan), it is a a bit odd in some ways.  I have no problem whatsoever with modern pop culture surviving into the future, in fact almost the reverse since the only thing that seems to survive on Star Trek is what we now consider classical music (barring the Kelvin Timeline movies).   But someone saying "I'll be your Obi-Wan" 500 years from now would be like people now making references to The Odyssey or The Epic of Gilgamesh, say "I'll be your Athena" or something like that.  This isn't really a complaint more of a random nitpick/observation.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Shik

• There's a million things I haven't done
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 07:09:43 PM »
More like "I'll be your Prince Hal"; that is to say, Shakespeare, which people still know.