Author Topic: $$$DSC "The Vulcan Hello" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)$$$  (Read 291 times)

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
Going ahead and making a thread for reviews and discussion of the premiere episode.  I figure it would be easier to avoid spoilers if we do threads for each episode rather than one big thread, especially since I might be waiting for DVD's to come out before watching the full season (and there may be others doing the same).

The premiere airs tonight on CBS at 7:30 Central time, give or take 30-40 minutes delay due to football games...
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
Re: $$$DSC "The Vulcan Hello" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)$$$
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 09:49:56 AM »
I very much enjoyed the first episode.  The production values are amazing, loved the binary system and Burnham's 'flyby' of the Klingon beacon.  I really like the Shenzhou, and its a shame she's going to get blown up.  The holographic communication system is nice although it seems way more advanced than the one used on that one episode of DS9.  I like characters so far.  I loved that Burnham's plan was to blow the neck off the Klingon ship, a possible nod to the "Cut her throat" line in Beyond perhaps?  I wonder if Voq is "The Albino" from that DS9 episode, or perhaps his father?  The title sequence very, very slightly reminded me of the sequence from Game of Thrones, mostly the blueprint images reminded me of the location building parts and the music had a few vaguely similar notes.

Some observations:
-This is the first time partial settings have been mentioned for phasers.  Specifically when Capt. Georgiou was blasting through the bedrock in the well she used a setting of 13.5.
-The phaser rifle has way more settings that the weapons on TOS seemed to, maybe even the full 16 that TNG era weapons have.  Settings are controlled by a dial.  When firing (at least at setting 13.5) there is a charge delay, with the two smaller barrels lighting up.
-The hand phaser appears to have a glowy bit on the top.
-Per Burnham's log the encounter with the Klingons takes place May 11, 2256, a Sunday (how nice of them to translate the Stardate for us).
-Saru has some sort of retractable frill on the back of his head.
-When the Torchbearer's bat'leth went through him, his blood was pinkish.
-The Klingons destroyed a Vulcan ship 240 years ago at H'Atoria.  Ever since then until diplomatic relations were established Vulcans fired first when encountering Klingons.  STO players may recognize H'Atoria as the ice planet from "The Ultimate Klingon" mission, its also where Worf was governor in the alt-future of "All Good Things".  Also that means that this encounter took place in 2016.
-In the "This Season on Discovery" previews, one of the Starfleet ships looked like a little like a predecessor for the Nebula-class.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 09:27:53 PM »
I'll repost my thoughts from the general Discovery thread...

So far so good it gets a solid A from me.

The Good.

-Good Lord this show looks fantastic. I'd say it looks as good as the movies.
-I love the character of Burnham.
-Captain Georgiou was wonderful and Michelle Yeoh did a great job.
-I love Saru. I get the distinct impression he'll be my new favorite character.
-The Shenzou was a nice design and the implication that it was an older ship was interesting.  Perhaps between Ent and TOS starfleet experimented with more wild ship designs.
-Okay the Klingons were fine as far as Im concerned.  Yeah they look somewhat different and we havent seen any of the traditional designs yet but its still early and either way I love the way they were presented.
-This blows "Broken Bow" out of the water probably the best pilot for any trek show yet.

The bad
-Not anything wrong with the show itself but CBS all access wasn't working well for me.  I dont know if its just my wifi but apparently some other veiwers had trouble as well.  I hope we eventually get it on netflix here as well.

The Rest
-So apparently Klingons really dont like Andorians hmm (it was nice that them and the Telleraites got mentioned).
Modify message
Report to moder
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Simon

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • Patria Domus: Hub to my Many Websites
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 11:30:19 AM »
I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised by the opening two episodes at least, especially with the nods to previous series...such as an albino Klingon (in my head he is the Albino), a character named 'Redjac', Redjac haaving pink blood, and in the most recent episode one of the Preserver obelisks.
While given the choice I'd rather not have had the redesign, I can live with the new style Klingons.  Perhaps they're due to an attempt to cure the Augment virus.