Author Topic: Official Stargate Upcoming news thread  (Read 138888 times)

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
Official Stargate Upcoming news thread
« on: September 27, 2006, 02:22:57 AM »
Just like on the old forum this will be the Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis upcoming news thread.  And to start the new thread off.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2006/09/studio_planning_isg-1i_tv_movies.shtml

Stargate SG-1 undoubtedly has a future after SCI FI channel cancelled the long-running series last month (story) -- but what kind of future is it? A feature film? An eleventh season with another broadcaster? IGN reports this week that, according to unnamed cast members, the studio is currently planning to create a series of SG-1 TV movies.

It is likely that the movies would be broadcast on SCI FI Channel in the United States, but there are no murmurs of a potential broadcaster yet.

Though we do think the story has merit, chalk this one up to unconfirmed for now. And, of course, with production on Season Ten still underway in Vancouver, B.C. and 10 episodes left to air next spring, anything can happen.

Sounds cool though I think without a doubt it should move off into feature film territory.  Perhaps a TV movie to wrap up the Ori story arc and a later feature film that uses both SG-1 and Atlantis.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Official Stargate Upcoming news thread
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 01:06:14 AM »
Would a Mod mind stickying this?
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 05:29:55 AM »
Yep folks its official.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2006/10/istargate_sg-1i_movies_coming_to.shtml

Stargate SG-1 movies coming to DVD

Wednesday - October 11, 2006 | by Darren Sumner

What's the future of Stargate SG-1? Fans have been wondering and rumors have been flying for weeks since the long-running SCI FI Channel series was cancelled in August (story). Now, at least the first part of that answer is here.

MGM has given a green light for the show's creators to produce two direct-to-DVD movies based on SG-1. Executive producer Brad Wright let TV Guide in on the news this week.

"It's the climax of the Ori story line," Wright said of the first film. The movie will tie up the loose ends from the show's tenth season, which is expected to conclude its U.S. television run in June. The film will be written and directed by current SG-1 executive producer and show-runner Robert C. Cooper.

The SG-1 cast is not signed for the movies yet, but are said to be "very eager" to continue.

Wright will pen the second film, which will involve time travel.

The producers have previously expressed a desire to set up a third Stargate television series with a film -- but it isn't confirmed yet whether or not this second movie will do just that.

The studio is targetting a fall 2007 release for both projects -- just a few months after Stargate SG-1 ends its historic, 10-year run on cable television.

It's entirely possible that the movies will also be aired on television -- something SCI FI commonly does with direct-to-DVD movies.

"They're not big-budget [films] by any definition, but for us it's pretty good," Wright told TV Guide. "As we've proven over the years, just give us little more money and we can make pretty good television, or DVDs."

"There's a sense of an era for us ending," he said, "but at the same time, we're all positive because of the prospect of continuing forward with movies and the introduction next year of Stargate Worlds, a massive multiplayer online game."

Season Ten of Stargate SG-1 resumes with all-new episodes in March on SCI FI Channel.

Well thats good at least we wont be left hanging.  Who wants to bet that the time travel story will be about SG-1 going back in time to try to unravel the Alteran/Ori split.

Offline Chemahkuu

• Distinguished Member
  • Resident Insufferable Treknobabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 07:16:18 AM »
*cough*FloggingItToAbsoluteFuckingDeath*cough* Jesus Christ just end the thing already >:(

Offline evilsmileyface12

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 08:45:55 AM »
what^^^^^ never Star Gate can never die!! :-X :P
ESF-12

Javert

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 08:46:38 AM »
I'm glad that they are atleast going to finish the plot arc.

Offline Chemahkuu

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 12:09:03 PM »
what^^^^^ never Star Gate can never die!! :-X :P

Cancellation?, direct-to-DVD? oh Id say its had its day :P

Offline evilsmileyface12

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 01:31:55 PM »
I'm glad that they are atleast going to finish the plot arc.

ya then I can get all caught up with out them making more stuff :P
ESF-12

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 12:37:51 AM »
*cough*FloggingItToAbsoluteFuckingDeath*cough* Jesus Christ just end the thing already >:(

I don't see what the problem is. They made it pretty obvious that this wasn't intended to be the last season so the finale will probably leave us hanging.  I'd rather if they bring us closure to the Ori story arc and this sounds like the best possible idea barring an eleventh season.

Offline GStone

• Veteran Member
  • Undercover in Culture space
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 08:02:38 AM »

Why can't it just bloody die with some dignity? How the hell can they drag this out longer?
Leader of the Pro-Trek/Anti-The Culture movement

'Attack of the Clones: For some reason I can make it to Anakin's cringe-worthy lovey-dovey lines on Naboo, but I can't get to the choice bits with ..you know...the actual Attack of the Clones. As far as I know, the movie should have been called "Episode II: I Hate Sand." '

--Dark Moose

Offline Chemahkuu

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 08:11:39 AM »
I know! its had 10 bloody years and it still cant just finish itself off, even then it had to just dump or ignore alot of stuff, just hurry up already :D

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2006, 12:52:26 AM »
... :(

Did no one read the announcement at all?

"It's the climax of the Ori story line," Wright said of the first film. The movie will tie up the loose ends from the show's tenth season, which is expected to conclude its U.S. television run in June. The film will be written and directed by current SG-1 executive producer and show-runner Robert C. Cooper.

This will close the Ori story arc.  Its sort of SG-1's version of Serenity.  The only reason this is even being done is because they weren't expecting to get cancelled midseason and they hadn't had the story wrapped up yet in the finale.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 12:54:56 AM by Razor »

Offline Chemahkuu

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2006, 06:18:28 AM »
Then theyre going to use the old Time Travel Deus Ex Machina and restart with a brand new series spamming the airwaves for another few years with a rehashed Gateverse series of stories, same shit, different name.

Offline GStone

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2006, 07:37:10 AM »
I've been thinking for a long time that the Ori arc could have been sealed up in 1 season. I really can't see just how they can have this continue for the last of this season and still have some left over to close it up.

'Attack of the Clones: For some reason I can make it to Anakin's cringe-worthy lovey-dovey lines on Naboo, but I can't get to the choice bits with ..you know...the actual Attack of the Clones. As far as I know, the movie should have been called "Episode II: I Hate Sand." '

--Dark Moose

Offline evilsmileyface12

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2006, 09:18:58 PM »
... :(

Did no one read the announcement at all?

This will close the Ori story arc.  Its sort of SG-1's version of Serenity.  The only reason this is even being done is because they weren't expecting to get cancelled midseason and they hadn't had the story wrapped up yet in the finale.

as to why I said... "star gate can never die!"

never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, ever :P
ESF-12

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2006, 11:08:11 PM »
I've been thinking for a long time that the Ori arc could have been sealed up in 1 season. I really can't see just how they can have this continue for the last of this season and still have some left over to close it up.

They weren't expecting to get cancelled this time thats how they still have some left over.

Offline Simon

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • Patria Domus: Hub to my Many Websites
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2006, 05:35:49 AM »
Who wants to bet that the time travel story will be about SG-1 going back in time to try to unravel the Alteran/Ori split.
I doubt it, unless they are relying on incredibly poor writing.  They've already done the defeat the enemy, go-back in time, have Sam bitch about it for a while, then screw the timeline story.
Personally, while I see the need for the first movie (which as the article reads, is the only one which will resolve the Ori arc), I fail to see the point in having this second time-travel one.  Just strikes me as a bad idea.

Offline Chemahkuu

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2006, 06:40:37 AM »
It is and mark my words yall will watch it, then come here and bitch about timeline rape once again.

Offline GStone

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2006, 06:52:47 AM »

They weren't expecting to get cancelled this time thats how they still have some left over.

Which makes me wonder just how much longer they were gonna stretch this thing out. This has been on for 2 seasons. How much longer were they thinking, 1 more? 3 more? You had a lots of goa'uld, so it was easier, but we don't have that here.

--Dark Moose

Offline Kestra

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2006, 08:20:04 PM »
Yep folks its official.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2006/10/istargate_sg-1i_movies_coming_to.shtml

That's pretty awesome Razor, thanks for posting.  I love the idea of a TV movie actually--it'll give it a nice big finish and then we can all move on.  But more than I care about the Orii arc, I insist they brink O'Neill back and have him and Sam get together.
... dancing in the night in the middle of June ...

Offline evilsmileyface12

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2006, 08:27:13 PM »
then we can all move on

move on?! move on!? move on?! what wrong with you people ;D Star Gate can never stop and/or die :P
ESF-12

Offline Kestra

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2006, 09:21:54 PM »
^^^ There's still Atlantis.  :)
... dancing in the night in the middle of June ...

Offline evilsmileyface12

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2006, 11:11:47 PM »
[Little kid]But Kestra I want Jack[Little Kid] :P
ESF-12

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2006, 11:44:45 PM »
Who wants to bet that the time travel story will be about SG-1 going back in time to try to unravel the Alteran/Ori split.
I doubt it, unless they are relying on incredibly poor writing.  They've already done the defeat the enemy, go-back in time, have Sam bitch about it for a while, then screw the timeline story.
Personally, while I see the need for the first movie (which as the article reads, is the only one which will resolve the Ori arc), I fail to see the point in having this second time-travel one.  Just strikes me as a bad idea.

I was just theorizing, I cant really be sure.  I sincerly hope (like Chem) that they dont just try to recycle the plot of Moebius for SG-1.

That's pretty awesome Razor, thanks for posting.  I love the idea of a TV movie actually--it'll give it a nice big finish and then we can all move on.  But more than I care about the Orii arc, I insist they brink O'Neill back and have him and Sam get together.

Thank you and you're welcome.  Im in full agreement with you as they should give it the proper finale it deserves.

Offline evilsmileyface12

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2006, 10:56:26 AM »
Does any one know of any Star Gate fan or other wise… sites???

I’ve done some Google searches but haven’t had much luck; I’ve found a few things but not much.
ESF-12