Author Topic: Official Stargate Upcoming news thread  (Read 138803 times)

Offline Simon

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • Patria Domus: Hub to my Many Websites
Re: Official Stargate Upcoming news thread
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2007, 07:58:51 PM »
Canada normally gets the second half a couple months before the US
Indeed.  The US likewise are usually a couple of weeks behind us in the UK, but episodes with us start back next week on Sky One (Tuesday for SG-1, Wednesday for Atlantis...they've changed it from a Wednesday night double, according to their monthly schedule releases).  For some reason they seem to be running months behind this year in the US though. ???

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2007, 09:40:54 PM »
Canada normally gets the second half a couple months before the US
Indeed.  The US likewise are usually a couple of weeks behind us in the UK, but episodes with us start back next week on Sky One (Tuesday for SG-1, Wednesday for Atlantis...they've changed it from a Wednesday night double, according to their monthly schedule releases).  For some reason they seem to be running months behind this year in the US though. ???

For us, in Canada, it used to be that we were at least a year behind the US, where SG-1 is concerned.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2007, 12:40:00 AM »
The DVD cover art for Stargate Atlantis season 2 has been revieled...

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2007/01/iatlantisi_season_two_cover_art_.shtml

Full Details:

Quote: Disc 1:
*The Siege: Part 3
*The Intruder
*Runner
*Duet

**SPECIAL FEATURES:
**Commentary on The Siege: Part 3 by Director Martin Wood, Writer Martin Gero and actors Joe Flanigan and David Hewlett
**Commentary on The Intruder by Director Peter DeLuise and Stargate SG1 actor Gary Jones
**Commentary on Runnerby Director Martin Wood and Actor David Hewlett
**Commentary on Duet by Director Peter DeLuise, Writer Martin Gero and Actor David Hewlett
**Mission Directive: "The Intruder" featuring Director Peter DeLuise
**Mission Directive: "The Seige: Part 3" featuring Director Martin Wood

**Photo Galleries:
*Photo Gallery
*Production Design Gallery

Disc 2:
*Condemned
*Trinity
*Instinct
*Conversion

**SPECIAL FEATURES:
**Commentary on Condemned by Director Peter DeLuise and Stargate SG1 actor Gary Jones
**Commentary on Trinity by Director Martin Wood and Writer Damian Kindler
**Commentary on Instinct by Director Andy Mikita and Producer Paul Mullie
**Commentary on Conversion by Writer Martin Gero and actors Joe Flanigan and David Hewlett
**Mission Directive: "Instinct" featuring Director Andy Mikita
**Introduction to a Character: Ronan Dex

**Photo Galleries:
*Photo Gallery

Disc 3:
*Aurora
*The Lost Boys
*Hive
*Epiphany

**SPECIAL FEATURES:
**Commentary on Aurora by Director Martin Wood and Co-Producer Peter DeLuise
**Commentary on The Lost Boys by Writer Martin Gero and actors Joe Flanigan and David Hewlett
**Commentary on The Hive featuring Director Martin Wood
**Commentary on Epiphany featuring Director Neill Fearnley
Road to a Dream with Martin Gero

**Photo GalleriesTonguehoto Gallery

Disc 4:
*Critical Mass
*Grace Under Pressure
*The Tower
*The Long Goodbye

**SPECIAL FEATURES:
**Commentaryon Critical Mass by Director Andy Mikita, Rachel Luttrell and Director of Photography Brenton Spencer
**Commentary on Grace Under Pressure by Director Martin Wood, Writer Martin Gero, Amanda Tapping and David Hewlett
**Commentary on The Tower by Producer Paul Mullie and Director Andy Mikita
**Commentary on The Long Goodbye by Director Andy Mikita, Torri Higginson and Director of Photography BrentonSpencer

**Profile On: David Hewlett
**Stargate Altlantis: Stunts

**Photo Galleries:
*Photo Gallery

Disc 5:
*Coup D'Etat
*Michael
*Inferno
*Allies

**SPECIAL FEATURES:
**Commentary on Coup D'Etat by Director Martin Wood, Writer Martin Gero and David Hewlett
**Commentary on Michael by Director Martin Wood and Supervising Producer/Director Peter DeLuise
**Commentary on Inferno by Director Peter DeLuise and Stargate SG1 cast member Gary Jones
**Commentary on Allies by Director Andy Mikita, Writer Martin Geroand David Hewlett

**Profile On: Paul McGillion

**Photo Galleries:
*Photo Gallery

Looks pretty cool if you ask me.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2007, 12:08:47 PM »
They sure didn't skimp on the extra features there did they.  For anyone who has them, do the other seasons boxsets of Stargate, SG-1 included carry as many extra features?
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Broken Subspace Scene

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2007, 07:20:11 PM »
I have SG-1 Seasons 6 and 7 and the first season of Atlantis.

SG-1 had audio commentary on all episodes, and Atlantis had audio commentary on many of them.  They both had a few profiles and things of that nature like this set seems to.  The SG-1 sets also had a few "Director's Series" featurettes. 

Offhand, it looks like S2 of Atlantis is a bit beefier than the first set, especially considering they do have commentary on each episode.  The first season commentaries were usually quite fun, especially the ones with David Hewlett.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2007, 06:35:24 AM »
Higginson to be recurring in Season Four

Beware of spoilers for Season Three of Stargate Atlantis in the report below.

Torri Higginson ("Elizabeth Weir") will no longer be a main cast member in the fourth season of Stargate Atlantis, executive producer Brad Wright revealed in a new video interview now online at StargateSG1.com, MGM's official site for the series.

"Torri Higginson is coming back for some period of time," Wright said. "She's going to be a recurring character."

The news follows on recent reports that cast member Paul McGillion ("Carson Beckett") will be departing the series late in the current season (story).

Just how many episodes "recurring" means is also unknown. After the first season of Atlantis, co-star Rainbow Sun Francks ("Aiden Ford") was reduced to recurring status apparently as a means of removing him from the show. He appeared in four episodes the next season, and his character has not been heard from since.

On the other hand, Weir could remain in charge of Atlantis despite the status change, but simply not appear in as many episodes. In the history of Stargate, such actors as McGillion (in the show's first season), David Nykl ("Radek Zelenka"), and SG-1's Teryl Rothery ("Janet Fraiser") have appeared in more than half of a season with "recurring" status.

Stick with GateWorld for future developments. Season Four of Stargate Atlantis will start filming in February and is expected to premiere next summer on the SCI FI Channel in the United States.

I wonder if either Cadwell, the commander of the Apollo, or even Carter will be added dto the permanent cast.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Simon

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2007, 06:07:34 PM »
It strikes me with all the changes Atlantis sees in it's regular cast that the writers simply haven't a bloody clue what to do with their characters, so instead of being inventive they write half of them out...and it would speak even more of uninventiveness bringing in Carter.  If they want to bring in someone from SG-1, Daniel would be a better choice...there's not really anyone filling the role of expert on the Ancients on Atlantis, while with everyone else they've got irritating clones.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2007, 06:11:53 PM »
It doesn't say why exactly Higginson is leaving as main cast member
Amanda Tapping has one year left on her SG1 contract. Instead of canceling it, they decided to bring her over to Atlantis for a few episodes to end her contract. Not sure about the rest of the SG1 cast, but I think they only sign on a season by season basis.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2007, 02:18:15 AM »
Im pretty much in agreement with Simon I'd rather see them bring Daniel over to Atlantis.  Though the amount of shakeups that Atlantis has seen are pretty astounding though.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2007/01/mgm_reveals_movie_storylines.shtml

MGM reveals movie storylines

Monday - January 15, 2007 | by Darren Sumner

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer today officially announced that it has greenlit the two Stargate SG-1 movies in development, which we reported on earlier (story): Stargate: The Ark of Truth and Stargate: Continuum. The company also released the first solid plot details for the two films.

Beware of spoilers below! Here's how the studio describes the storylines:

Stargate: The Ark of Truth
"As SG-1 searches for an Ancient artifact which they hope can defeat the armies of the Ori, they learn more Ori ships are about to be sent through the Supergate to launch a final assault on Earth. Daniel discovers that the artifact, the Ark of Truth, may be in the Ori home galaxy, and SG-1 embarks aboard the Odyssey to find it, and pre-empt the attack. The I.O.A. has a plan of their own and SG-1 ends up in a distant galaxy fighting two powerful enemies."

Stargate: Continuum
"While SG-1 attends the execution of Baal, the last of the Goa'uld System Lords, Teal'c and Vala inexplicably disappear into thin air. Carter, Daniel and Mitchell race back to a world where history has been changed: the Stargate program has been erased from the timeline. As they try to convince the authorities what's happened, a fleet of Goa'uld motherships arrives in orbit, led by Baal, his queen, Katesh (Vala), and his first prime, Teal'c. SG-1 must find the Stargate and set things right before the world is enslaved by the Goa'uld."

The first film will enter pre-production in March and begin filming in April, with an expected DVD release in the fall.

Ive got to say Im way more interested in "The Ark of Truth" as I cant wait to see how they wrap up the Ori story arc.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2007, 06:58:35 AM »
Doesn't mean Daniel can't come over to Atlantis for a few episodes in season 4.

More information of Tapping's involvement on Atlantis.

Contains some spoilers

Tapping in 14 Atlantis episodes

Tuesday - January 16, 2007 | by Darren Sumner

Amanda Tapping will appear in 14 episodes of Stargate Atlantis when she joins the cast in Season Four, executive producers Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper said in new interviews at StargateSG1.com, MGM's official site. Tapping has played the role of Samantha Carter on Stargate SG-1 for the past 10 years.

"Amanda Tapping is coming to join the Atlantis team," Wright said. "She'll be coming in her own spaceship and joining the crew in Atlantis. And we're delighted by that."

Wright said that the producers have been considering bringing Colonel Carter to Atlantis for some time now, but were hindered by SG-1's continued renewal. The two series were initially only expected to run simultaneously for one year.

"It's something that we've been thinking about for a long time, but SG-1 just kept going!" Wright said. "And she's a good fit for Atlantis. ... She's going to be a welcome addition."

Though Cooper recognizes that some fans are concerned about the move -- injecting an established show that is loved by fans with a character from its cancelled predecessor -- he believes that Tapping and the character she plays will convince them when Season Four premieres later this year. "It's such a likeable character, [and] she's such a good actress, I don't think anyone will have a problem with it once they see it," he said.

Whether or not the addition of Tapping to the cast of Stargate Atlantis will be permanent remains to be seen, of course. Tapping signed a two-year deal with the franchise last year, anticipating that Stargate SG-1 would be renewed for an eleventh season.

"I am contractually obligated to the franchise for another year when I signed that contract at the beginning of Season Ten," Tapping recently told GateWorld. "I knew it was a possibility that if SG-1 went down that I might be doing some Atlantis. And they exercised their option, which is fine. I think there's a potential for a lot of fun."

Sam visits the city of Atlantis in the SG-1 episode "The Pegasus Project."   
The fourth season of Atlantis has the show's writers excited -- and working hard in the off-season.

"I'm very excited about it," Cooper said. "I think there are some very interesting developments in the storyline. ... We're finally at the point where there are a lot of interesting touchstones to hit on. ... Now there's a lot of interesting doors to choose from. There's the Genii and the Wraith, and the human-form Replicators. I think what Joe [Mallozzi] and Paul [Mullie] are doing is they're [also] continuing to open new doors."

While Cooper and Wright devote most of their energies to the two SG-1 movies this year, SG-1 and Atlantis executive producers Joseph Mallozzi and Paul Mullie will step up as show-runners for Atlantis.

"They're going to be the go-to guys for Stargate Atlantis," Wright said. But he added that he and Cooper will continue to play a role as producers of the TV series. "It's their turn to have a shot at running the show and having the final say. Robert and I are going to go off and do a couple of movies. ... Robert and I, we're very much a part of breaking the first stories for this year, and we'll be a part next year. ... Paul and Joe are my guys, and I'm going to support them in any way I can."

Season Four of Stargate Atlantis goes before cameras next month, and is expected to premiere on SCI FI Channel in the U.S. this summer.

Offline Chemahkuu

• Distinguished Member
  • Resident Insufferable Treknobabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2007, 07:35:22 AM »
So time tampering and rehashing and refusing the let the franchise just have a decent ending and leave it at that.

Seriously, another galaxy, another two evil enemy races, more Ba'al and another Mobius style storyline? ugh it really should have just ended with a feature length story in Season 7.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2007, 07:56:03 AM »
So time tampering and rehashing and refusing the let the franchise just have a decent ending and leave it at that.

Seriously, another galaxy, another two evil enemy races, more Ba'al and another Mobius style storyline? ugh it really should have just ended with a feature length story in Season 7.

I would have said season 8 up until "Threads" but cant say I 100% disagree with you on that one.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2007, 08:12:56 AM »
If they had ended SG1 with the Lost City movie, then O'Neill would be dead, and the world would know of the Stargate. Which would have been cool.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2007, 08:17:46 AM »
^^^There's always the alternates.  Like I said Im just happy that they're finally bringing an end to the Ori arc.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2007, 08:25:25 AM »
All I want in the movie is to see things blow up, and full frontal Sam nudity. Then I'll be happy.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2007, 08:29:28 AM »
^^^That works

Offline Simon

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2007, 06:02:43 PM »
a world where history has been changed: the Stargate program has been erased from the timeline...SG-1 must find the Stargate and set things right before the world is enslaved by the Goa'uld.
I knew it...it's 'Moebius Regurgitated'! ::)  If they're just pulling the same old stories out their arses, may as well disband the franchise now before it goes Trek on us and dies anyway.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2007, 06:13:49 PM »
I'm going to wait for the second movie to be released before I pass judgment.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2007, 11:23:52 PM »
I'm going to wait for the second movie to be released before I pass judgment.

Best thing I can think of doing.

Offline Kestra

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2007, 01:01:16 AM »
So I didn't read all the spoilers, just read the stuff about the SG:A cast.  Thank god they're phasing out Weir, she's a terrible leader though she had some potential as a character.  Better to just cut her out entirely though.  Beckett's sweet and all, but totally underused as a character.  McKay totally overshadows him.

And I've got to say I like Carter a lot more than I ever liked Daniel.  I don't see the Atlantis cast as being clones of each other at all, though there will be the potential for some technobabble overdose between Carter and McKay.  Maybe they'll finally get it on though.
... dancing in the night in the middle of June ...

Offline Simon

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2007, 04:01:06 PM »
I think they should get rid of McKay when they bring on Carter.  There are tropical skin diseases that are less irritating than that guy!

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2007, 06:10:34 PM »
McKay is one of the best characters in the Stargate universe. I don't want him to leave for any reason.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2007, 01:09:30 AM »
McKay is one of the best characters in the Stargate universe. I don't want him to leave for any reason.

Damn Straight I say get rid of Conan the Wraith killer instead.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2007, 08:11:29 AM »
Ronan doesn't bother me as much as Tayla.

I don't mind that Beckett is becoming a recurring character, since Jewel Staite is coming on board to play the new doctor for a bunch of episodes.

Offline Simon

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2007, 08:49:21 AM »
I don't mind that Beckett is becoming a recurring character, since Jewel Staite is coming on board to play the new doctor for a bunch of episodes.
Well that's something I'm massively in favour of.  Not that I want Beckett to leave...I'm just interesting in watching Jewel again.  Now if they just come up with an Atlantis version of a decon chamber and put her and Carter in it... ;D