Author Topic: Official Stargate Upcoming news thread  (Read 135750 times)

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
Re: Official Stargate Upcoming news thread
« Reply #500 on: November 22, 2016, 10:16:06 AM »
YES!!!! Please. Talk about a franchise that is ripe with potential and just waiting for someone to come along and do something with it.

Personally, I would love to see some sort of conclusion to SGU...even if it's in book form. I know a new series or even a DVD movie will never happen, but come on. Let up on the licences a bit and let someone finish that story.

Man I miss SGU. I was thinking about it a few weeks ago and went looking for that After the Storm song sequence in the episode where TJ...aka, Hot Blonde Medic, loses her baby. I love that closing scene of that episode.

And despite what anybody says, I think SGU is exactly the direction Stargate needed to go in. It was a mistake to cancel Atlantis prematurely and if they had run back to back like SG-1 and Atlantis did, they could have helped each other through their ratings peaks and dips.

But after getting tired of the same old routine and formula that SG-1 had set up and Atlantis was driving into the ground, SGU was the shakeup it needed...it felt like one of those things you didn't know you needed until you actually had it. It felt like something that was created just for me based on my personal sci-fi interests, which of course it wasn't and sure it was doing things other series had done before and that didn't jive with everyone. But for me, SGU hit the ground running and only got better.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: November 24, 2016, 03:46:35 AM »
I know there's Stargate novels and comic books out there, if only because the SG Wiki treats them as canon (along with RPG guidebooks) and includes material from them in various articles.  Though I don't know when the last one was released or what their licensing policies are.

I suspect MGM will eventually do something with Stargate.  Perhaps Devlin's reluctance to do the movie if they can't "do it without screwing up" will make MGM pursue other directors/producers for a movie (much like Perpetual's lack of progress caused them to loose the STO license and Cryptic to pick it up).
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: July 21, 2017, 11:10:23 AM »
NEW STARGATE!

Wait it's a prequel set in 1928 after the discovery of the Gate in Giza....  And it's and online only thing...  And it's only 10 episodes...  And each episode is only 10 minutes long...

@@#@@#%%#$%***&^^%^%@!!!!

It's in pre-production and the scenes in the trailer were all taken from the Stargate movie.  I suppose if it gets received well then maybe we'll get some substantial new Stargate.

Oh and it's also the 20th anniversary of SG-1.  Gods, I feel old.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: July 21, 2017, 03:42:32 PM »
And here I was thinking they'd just go from scratch.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: July 22, 2017, 07:40:09 AM »
Im not crazy about the prequel angle.  But the concept actually sounds interesting.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: July 23, 2017, 12:20:07 AM »
I'm not to keen on the idea of paying for a streaming service for 10 minute episodes*, but if this spawns a revival of the Stargate franchise, then I'm all for it.  Though I may just wait for DVD/BluRay releases.

*Although I supposed this streaming service would at least have all the episodes of SG-1, SGA, and SGU.  But still...  At least with CBS All Access for Discovery I could watch other CBS shows as well.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: September 05, 2017, 11:51:13 PM »
I've started rewatching SG1 from the beginning. I had forgotten how much ground work they had layer out from day one, in regards to the bigger overall arcs they finally developed.

Sure, there are a few bombs and filler episodes, but almost every episode has a bit of info that will eventually pay off later.

I might rewatch Atlantis too and see if it holds up as well...or still feels as formulaic as it had gotten in those final seasons.

I still maintain however that Universe was exactly what Stargate needed after 10 years of SG1 teams adventuring through the old orifice. Lol

I get that for many it was too much of a change, but that's why I loved it. It was the DS9 of the stargate franchise. It took everything Stargate was and instead of just copying the same formula, it dared to try something new and different.

It may have effectively killed the franchise as we know it, though those follow up movies didn't exactly help, but I think it deserves far more praise than it receives simply for taking the risk.

They could have played it safe, let Atlantis run a few more seasons and then started a new series on Earth about a new SG team, and it likely would have done fine. But they decided to gamble. And unfortunately they ultimately lost. But taking the chance to do something new is better than playing it safe...at least for me.
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: September 06, 2017, 07:38:18 PM »
Yeah I went and picked up the first 3 seasons on DVD as they were so cheap ( I hadn't picked those up yet) and have been rewatching some of the more celebrated early episodes.  Im rather impressed at how much they expanded on the groundwork the movie set up.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: September 08, 2017, 03:42:15 PM »
Honestly I think the 1st season of Atlantis was better than the 8th season of SG-1 (which were airing at the same time), or at least the first half of the respective seasons.  I don't think it got really formulaic until some time in the third season, and even then there were still good episodes here and there.

Though I do agree that SGU was a much needed shakeup of the formula established by SG-1 and Atlantis.  Time will only tell whether or not this Origins series will be worth it or if it will give the franchise the kick start it needs.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: October 11, 2017, 01:24:06 PM »
Connor Trinner as the dad?  Hmm.... Interesting.  Don't really know who any of the other people listed are, nor have I seen or even heard of anything they've been in, except for a few bit parts.

And in that article I found this article that details the Stargate Command streaming service.  It seems to be a combination of fan comunity (with quizzes and such) and streaming service.  The other content is free, but you'll have to pay a one time $20 fee to watch anything (and that only covers it until around the middle May 2018).

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: October 14, 2017, 02:42:08 AM »
Good to see Connor's still around.