129,525 Posts in 3,478 Topics - by 272 Members - Latest Member: masterarminas
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Feedback Thread  (Read 33887 times)
BorgMan
Global Moderator

Artistic Assimilator

View Profile WWW
« on: November 20, 2006, 05:29:52 AM »

This thread is here specifically to inform JoAT submitters to enable them to adjust their designs and / or descriptions to be at the same (or better) level as the rest of the ships and technology featured in the JoAT. Posting here can only be done by a mod; when you have certain problems with the decision in here, open up a new thread and I'll look into it.

Please see the newest feedback at the bottom of the thread.

Here you can find useful links that can help you flesh out your design:
The Treknology Expert forum. For all your question in regards to some crazy new technology you want to introduce. Can it be done? Can it be done but differently? Or is it already done? You'll most likely find your answer here Wink;
The Artwork & Design (A&D) forum. Here you can showcase your designs, and get feedback from other users so that you can fine-tune it until it has reached a certain level of quality. Get feedback, and give it to others as well! Here you'll also find the COMPETITIONS if there are any. If you end in the top 3 of a competition which has Star Trek as it's theme, your design (when submitted using the form) will automatically be included into the next update of the JoAT.

Usernames without colons ( ' ) denote a member of the boards; someone with them denote the designer which is not (yet) a member of the SCN. Becoming a member of the SCN is entirely free, and you can do so by following this link. It will only take up a minute of your time, but it enables you to discuss your design with others here at the board.

Starting very soon, we will be requiring that uploaded designs have at least a name on it, or preferably a logo. This is to make sure that we get authentic designs that are the crown jewels of it's respective designer. Our philosophy is that if you put some effort in making a logo, you can also put time in making a ship. We're still getting a lot of kitbashed ships and ships that are taken from other sites and get a description that's just wrong. Please, put some effort in your work. JoAT is a high-quality database and we intend to keep it that way!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 05:54:57 PM by Bernd » Logged

*Doorbell Sound*

"Hi, I am Elder 14 of 37 and this is my traveling companion Sister 29 of 128. We represent the Borg..."
"Oh Roddenbery, you guys again? Look, it's 8 in the morning and I don't have time for you OK? I told you last week..."
"But... Assimilation... Holopamflet!"
"Yeah right, you can leave it here but I'll throw it on the rest of the bunch I got from your other 'brothers' and 'sisters'. Now scram before I call the 8472 Squad!"
Bernd
Administrator
Distinguished Member

Lord of the Bored

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 10:25:25 AM »

We actually do have a few alien designs in the JoAT, just not in the focus of interest. But that may change as more designs are being submitted.
BorgMan
Global Moderator

Artistic Assimilator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 10:35:35 AM »

My bad, must've looked over it. I'll correct it Smiley

*Doorbell Sound*

"Hi, I am Elder 14 of 37 and this is my traveling companion Sister 29 of 128. We represent the Borg..."
"Oh Roddenbery, you guys again? Look, it's 8 in the morning and I don't have time for you OK? I told you last week..."
"Yeah right, you can leave it here but I'll throw it on the rest of the bunch I got from your other 'brothers' and 'sisters'. Now scram before I call the 8472 Squad!"
BorgMan
Global Moderator

Artistic Assimilator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 05:45:58 PM »

Updated December 5th. New designs submitted by: 'Intellivore' and Qwerty.

*Doorbell Sound*

BorgMan
Global Moderator

Artistic Assimilator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 05:03:27 PM »

Updated December 13th. New designs submitted by: 'Engine-shed' and Voron. Updated status on: Pleiades.

*Doorbell Sound*

BorgMan
Global Moderator

Artistic Assimilator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 05:37:08 AM »

Updated March 12th. Sorry for the long wait guys 'n gals.

*Doorbell Sound*

BorgMan
Global Moderator

Artistic Assimilator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 05:46:10 AM »

Updated May 19th. Also, a new rule will be enacted soon. Please read the feedback thread!

DescriptionComments
Abbey & Erving classThe designs for these ships are too basic and lack detaisl. Also, the story provided for the two designs are sub-par with the requirements of JoAT. Please redesign, rephrase and resubmit.
Badger & Bolo ClassThese are kitbashed überships and as such don't qualify for JoAT.
Borg MHQ & Majestic ClassThese two are not on par with the rest of the site; furthermore, these are not of your own making, and we specifically demand that designs in JoAT are of your own making.
Iron Horse ClassThe design, next to being toobasic, resembles another craft. It looks, therefore, kitbashed (although using a base ship from another series) and as such doesn't qualify. Redesign andresubmit.
Kittinger ClassAnother kitbash. Read the above why we won't include it.
Tas'Aray ClassThis ship's description is awkward, and the design is just an outline, lacking any details. Retype, redesign and resubmit.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 05:55:46 PM by Bernd » Logged

*Doorbell Sound*

Bernd
Administrator
Distinguished Member

Lord of the Bored

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 03:29:21 AM »

Updated August 1, 2009
Sorry for the lack of updates in this thread. Here is the missing feedback. We may have missed one or two designs. There is no feedback on submissions without images!

Kumari scout
The resolution of the renders could be somewhat better. The design itself looks a bit like a kitbash (Excelsior-Oberth), but everything is nicely blended.

Wildman shuttle
Cool design. Unfortunately the image quality is lacking, the lettering is very pixelated. Are there more views? Please re-submit!

Anduril shuttle
Very nicely shaped. Looks a bit basic though. Can you do more views? Please re-submit if you have more!

Shark attack fighter
Hmm. We like the basic design and you know how to handle your software, but we are missing some typical Starfleet details and general surface details. Could you rework it?

Chicago
We like it and we would love to post it once you have included a couple more details to either the 2D or the 3D images.

Auklet
The updated Akira-esque shape is a nice start but it is currently too basic to be included. It still needs work.

Scotty mobile drydock
The idea is definitely a good one, but the image is just cut-and-paste and the description should be more detailed.

Nanite armor
Sorry, this is way too basic for us. The description is non-existing, and the image is just a few lines. This would need a lot of work.

Starhawk fighter
We don't like the design. It is a 3D cut-and-paste job whose parts don't really fit together.

Fortress (Intrepid variant)
Sorry to say that, but you ruined the Intrepid design with this ugly box of an engineering hull.

Carpathia
A kitbash of a kind we generally don't include. Also, you provide practically no description.

Ion (Excelsior variant)
Oh no. I don't want to offend you, but it would take me 30 seconds to "design" such a ship, just cutting out the neck of an Excelsior class.

Champion
A good drawing, but the convoluted design is awkward.

Energia
Way too basic. We expect more attention to detail.

Delta (Sovereign variant)
A 3-nacelled Sovereign. Rejected.

Firewind and Poseidon
Very basic pencil drawings. We encourage you to keep practicing!

Accipiter
We are not sure about the origin and copyright of this design. An übership nonetheless.

Kislov
Simple kitbash. Sorry no.

Picasso and Quantum
We take it you're very young. Please keep practicing but currently your drawings are much too basic.

Intrepid modification
An intrepid with a backpack. Uhm, no.

Bernd
Administrator
Distinguished Member

Lord of the Bored

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 07:08:57 AM »

Updated August 1, 2009
And here the new submissions since the last site update:

Forrest
It is just too basic and too kitbashy. You'd still need to put a lot of work into it.

Caronte
Sorry no. We see that you put some effort into making your Constitution kitbash plausible which is laudable. But this is exactly the kind of design that we reject in any case.

Manta
Thanks for the new image! Much appreciated.

SlyFox shuttle
Sure. It will be in the update.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 07:24:15 AM by Bernd » Logged
BorgMan
Global Moderator

Artistic Assimilator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 05:02:25 AM »

Current as of October 10 '09

DescriptionComments
Amundsen classA nice and balanced pre-TOS ship. No further remarks:)
Champion ClassNot a spectacular design but decent. Nonetheless. Accepted, though a front view would be highly appreciated!
Chariot ClassVery nice, I was already wondering when this beauty would be submitted. Join the club!
Forrest ClassThis is a kitbash, and not a good one at that either. Plus, your description doesn't match the vessel depicted... at all. Denied.
Holographic Multi-Mission ProbeErrr... We don't exactly know what it is. Next to that, your images are not high quality enough to be added. Please design better pictures and tell us what it actually... well, does...
Midway ClassKitbash. Denied.
Phlox ClassAccepted, though we want to point out that there's a lot of your work already in JoAT. Please consider this Wink
Sly Fox ClassUpdate from the previous version, so accepted.
Somerset ClassUpdate to the original NT class, with a reques for namechange. No problems with that Smiley
Tigon ClassWe're going to tease you guys with this, there will be a NU fighter joining the club soon Wink
Type 14I'm not sure what to think of this design. It feels... cobbled together. After debate we've decided to agree on it, though Smiley

If you don't agree with the above decisions, please open up a new thread and we'll see how we can work it out. Class dismissed ^_^

*Doorbell Sound*

Bernd
Administrator
Distinguished Member

Lord of the Bored

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 03:38:36 PM »

Sorry this has taken so long!

Current as of October 5, 2010

*=accepted

Accelerator
Even if it's made of Legos we still expect a higher level of detail (i.e. you'd have to spend many more bricks).

Alliance
This far too coarse. The basic idea is visible but you'd need more practice above all.

Anzac
An unusual Voron design that we gladly accept. *

Basalisk
No offense, but you still need to learn the very basics of drawing. But I take it you're very young and still have lots of time.

Cavalier
Another genuine Atolm. You need to look twice to recognize how great it is. *

Cestus 3
Nicely designed Heckadon-style station. *

Constable
Update of existing design. *

Explorer
No pics, hardly any text. Please re-submit when you have something to present.

Harrier
By Greg, a tough little ship with a very elaborate back story. *

Hellas

Heret
Nice design, good back story. Only the commissioning date is a bit off. I put it into "Future Designs". *

King George V

Nemesis
A rather conventional but nicely worked out design. The text is a bit scarce. *

NX
Uhm, the JoAT is for your on designs, not for pics that you find somewhere, and especially not for those from elsewhere on my site.

Path of Origin
A promising design, but I'd like to see more views and more of a description. Either would be fine. I would really like to see more!

Shr'Ki
Fascinating! *

Strider
Yes! One of my favorites from the old shuttle design contest. *

Sulaco
Well, it's just a "tube ship". But the story explains exactly why it looks the way it does. *

Tesla
Nice future design. Accepted. *

Thunderchild drydock
A good start. It does look a bit like a duck, but I see why.

Thunderchild repair ship
Is this in some way related to the other Thunderchild? Anyway, I was close to accepting this one, but it is a bit lacking: too small images, well, and it doesn't look like what it is supposed to be.

Tigon
Abramsverse fighter, as discussed at the SCN. Accepted *

Traveler
No image requests through the submission form, please!

USS Alliance

USS Arizona
Simple cut&paste job. Rejected.

USS Caronte / Eris
The "long ship" by Diegoba as discussed at the SCN. Accepted. *
Bernd
Administrator
Distinguished Member

Lord of the Bored

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 05:01:53 PM »

Current as of February 11, 2011

Rejected

Arizona
Sorry, you can try as often as you want but this is exactly the kind of kitbash that will never be accepted, even if you should considerably improve your drawings.

Atlantic
There was supposed to be an attached image? Please try again.

Hawthorne
Cute little ship, but too basic and too comic-like. It doesn't have a realistic feel.

King George V
Basically not a bad idea, but I just don't like its blocky look. With at least *some* curves it would look less like Starfleet's Star Destroyer.

Midway
Another kitbash of the kind we routinely reject. Sorry.

Sirius
There was supposed to be an attached image? Please try again.

Stingray
Shameless plagiarism, and I was too blind to recognize it. Thanks to the guy who notified me that someone ripped off Galen's Gryphon class. It is shit like this one that occasionally makes me hate my job. You know who are, you are banned from the JoAT.

Accepted

Chariot
Update. I included all the new orthographic views, more on the deviantart page.

Excelsior (alt.)
Wonderful interpretation of the Excelsior in the Abramsverse.

Hellas and Roberts
A rather basic TOS design, but well though out.

Hurricane
Wow. The "flat" Excelsior study model in the Abramsverse! My favorite among the current JoAT updates.

Knox-Johnston
Well, it might have looked somewhat sleeker in its role as a star yacht, but I like the idea and the back story very much.

Lexington
A quite plausible competitive design to the Excelsior.

NY
Although it is rather boxy in the top and the bottom view, the design fits well into the time of the Romulan War.

NZ
A credible step from the NX to a more compact ship design philosophy.

PF-15 Iolair
This design is very much like a 20th/21st century fighter aircraft - perhaps a bit too much but I love the artwork and the *extensive* description.

Ranger
Another nice variation of the ageless theme set by the original Enterprise.

Sonoma
I always want to see more four-nacelled ships, and here is one of the best ones I have seen in a long time.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 05:54:08 PM by Bernd » Logged
Bernd
Administrator
Distinguished Member

Lord of the Bored

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 02:47:06 PM »

Current as of April 12, 2011

Rejected

Proxima
Please resubmit if/when you have pics to show.

Accepted

Fletcher & Sheffield
I was close to rejecting these, as I'm tired of those endless slight variations of an Enterprise refit saucer with one or two pairs of nacelles. But you put quite a bit of work into the two designs. The drawing quality is decent (yet a bit basic) and your write-ups are exemplary - really good reads.

Gilgamesh
I have never been a fan of the Federation class. In fact, I think it is the prototype for all bad kitbashes. But I really like the alternate universe twist. And the Gilgamesh definitely looks a lot more reasonable than the original Federation.

Molniya
An interesting design with a fascinating "space race" back story.

Kestrel
Well-conceived 21st century design. Any time again!
Bernd
Administrator
Distinguished Member

Lord of the Bored

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 05:17:24 PM »

Current as of March 15, 2012

Rejected

Arizona
As usual, no.  Tongue

Atomic Orientation Memory
An interesting idea. The description is a bit scarce and not completely plausible though. I also suggest you provide some artwork on how the device looks or what it is composed of.

Crusader
No pictures. If this is an error, please try again and sorry for the inconvenience.

Snowflake
The submission form is not for requests!

Vigilant
I don't play ST Online but I recognize designs that are ripped from there.  Angry

Accepted

Class D Observatory
Once again an intriguing Robert Heckadon design!

Colorado
Runabout design with many (too many?) design cues. Anyway, it is a sound and good looking design with really nice artwork.

Durandal
That's the kind of creative work that the JoAT was created for. I especially like your cardboard version.
http://www.treknology.org/new/durandal-jam8.jpg

Harrier
New images for this almost classic fan design

Monarch
This may not be the most original design, but I like the style.

NW
I would only wish the design looked as great from every angle as in picture #1. But I definitely couldn't complain about this one not being original enough.
http://www.treknology.org/new/nw-rob1.jpg

Odysseus
A tough little ship from Greg MacDonald, love at first glance!

Planetary Operations Drop Craft
Update to existing design

Sierra
SR-71, Trek style. Why not.  Grin

Sonoma
Update to existing design

Vilnius
A rather basic design. But it does have its merits!

Yutaka Akino
A really elegant ship. The description is well thought out as usual but perhaps a bit over the top.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 05:34:58 PM by Bernd » Logged
Bernd
Administrator
Distinguished Member

Lord of the Bored

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2013, 03:43:03 AM »

Current as of October 13, 2013

Rejected

Constitution: Please re-submit with images.

Exeter: Please re-submit with images.

Gemini: I'm not generally opposed to simple line drawings or Paint designs, but you'd need more practice. You have a very good idea of how the design should look and work, so keep up the idea.

Hawk: It's a cute idea to combine the Millenium Falcon with the NX class but not sufficient to result in a good design.

Mars: It lacks the balance between the (NX class) nacelle assembly and the saucer. It also lacks originality.

Pluto: Not a bad idea. A bit angular. But the artwork lacks quality, and the two views don't really line up. It would need quite a bit of work to be fit for the JoAT.

Potentate: Please re-submit with images.

Razorback: A simple NX class cut-and-paste job. We expect more in terms of originality as well as quality. I wouldn't further pursue the idea, at least not without a more elaborate drawing software.

Red Star: It looks like a saucer is missing, but on second thought I like the idea. Please resubmit once the side and the top view line up correctly and once the cut-and-paste artifacts are gone.

Star Hawk: The Sovereign class looks bad once you move the nacelles, and I don't think anyway that a Sovereign kitbash should qualify.

Valiant: I don't know whether this Defiant variant is straight from a game or whether it is a slight modification. In any case it lacks originality.

Accepted

Apogee: The first thing I noticed was the many sharp angles, as they are commonplace in bad designs drawn with Paint. But this is a fully fledged design that obviously took some effort to build, and the more I look at it the more I like it.

Auto-regeneration probe: No question, another great piece of technology.

Giacchino: An Abramsverse design (obviously). Blends in very nicely.

King George: It incorporates a few extraneous elements such as an additional nacelles, additional pod, additional phasers. Yet, well done.

Konovalov: A plain and simple sister of the NX class.

Mars Station Beta: Impressive space station!

Orion: A tough little ship!

Tachyon catapult: A fascinating idea. Not sure if I would see ships being catapulted on a regular basis in the show though.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 03:54:51 AM by Bernd » Logged
Bernd
Administrator
Distinguished Member

Lord of the Bored

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2014, 09:31:21 AM »

Current as of July 13, 2014

"It's been a long time, but your time is finally near."

Rejected

Qa'pla: On the bright side, you have a good eye for Klingon design. I'm not generally opposed to models made of paper, but I think you need some more practice. It would probably help to try it with some thicker paper in order to achieve better stability, and perhaps with colored paper. A white Klingon ship isn't really convincing.

Yukikaze: The same weaknesses as the Qa'pla, but I don't like the design.

Designs by GS: Sorry, I have to reject your designs. All of them. On a positive note, most of your write-ups make sense. Also, most of your designs are not overblown but would be aesthetically pleasing -- if only you could abstain from cut-and-paste. A few of your cut-and-paste work is lacking on the technical side and honestly, it looks like crap. But even the better works give me the impression "Hey, this could be a fine ship if only we could get rid of the blatantly ripped off elements (often from other sci-fi universes)". Perhaps you could learn to handle a vector graphics program, and let your (basically good) ideas become reality?

On hold

Choctaw: You checked "not yet to be posted". I can confirm it still needs a bit of work. Can you export it with a higher resolution? Can you add more details? Well, and the write-up could be a bit more extensive.

Designs by Mitch: Please don't spam me. If you submit something, the least I expect is that you are actually working on it. I know that my reaction is very slow as well, but talking about placeholders helps neither of us.

Accepted

Oberon & Juno: Two designs that fit perfectly in the NX-01 era.

M7: Great work as always!

Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: