Author Topic: free\open source software and games  (Read 27713 times)

Javert

free\open source software and games
« on: September 27, 2006, 01:49:57 PM »
For those who Don't know F|OSS stands for Free|Open Source Software.

So as a part of my backup for my next reformat I'm collecting the install files for the Software that I use on a regular basis:

Vector Images: Inkscape
Rastor Images: Paint.net
Instant Messagers: Trillian and Windows Live Messenger
Media Players: WMP 10, and Media Player Classic with Real Alternative and QT Alternative
Web Browsers: Opera andFirefox
Email: Thunderbird
Calendar: Sunbird
PDF Reader: Foxit
Office: Open Office.org

I'm also putting this out to pick up on any other programs people like to use that fall under F|OSS.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 05:25:00 AM by Stoo »

Offline Setekh

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
Re: F|OSS you like
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 02:03:52 PM »
Firefox, Ad-aware, and Agent Ransack are all pretty good. Also one of my alltime favorite programs is called Windirstat. It shows you graphically what files are using how much memory. It's really useful when you are running low on Hard Drive space and you can't figure out what is taking up so much memory. http://windirstat.info/

Offline NRSD Moonshadow

• Toot! Toot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 05:55:47 PM »
I use Antivir for anti virus

Link:  http://www.free-av.com/
In Soviet Russia, computer fix YOU!

Offline starhawk

• Veteran Member
  • I think too big.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 08:51:00 PM »
Ad-Aware SE
Spybot: Search & Destroy
Windows Defender Beta
AVG Free Antivirus
Mozilla Firefox (Internet Explorer for the websites created by *ahem* the less progressive that don't do Firefox)

:D Yah basically my entire computer protection system was free. You'll notice no firewall. Don't need it while I'm at college but you can bet it'll be ZoneAlarm if I ever need to have one (and that's free too IIRC).

Now if only I could convince Mother to go to Firefox and AVG...
:p

Tanky

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 08:53:51 PM »
Ad-Aware SE
CCleaner
Firefox
Limewire (though I was feeling charitable one day and purchased the Pro version)

Gotta love open source is all I can say.

Offline starhawk

• Veteran Member
  • I think too big.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 09:01:52 PM »
Umm... *pokes Tanky* there's a wee bit of a difference between freeware and open source software.

Free software is already compiled. It's already a program (as opposed to a somewhat useless lump of code) by the time you get it. You just don't have to pay for it.

Open source means they give you the code and you put it together. You basically get a *.zip or *.rar or whatever mac or linux uses, with about 50+ separate files, and since you know what you're doing, you can put them together into a functioning program.

The reason that I know this is because I downloaded an open source program once (IIRC it was the GIMP), and couldn't figure out what to do with the 60,000 little files it gave me once I unzipped it. Aaaaaaaaaargh.

Tanky

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 09:12:31 PM »
*pokes starhawk* yet you mention Ad-Aware SE and Firefox just like me, and I had to do absolutley no compiling for either of those. Both are most definately freeware by your defintion (which I agree with), as are other programs people have mentioned. So yeh, I was hardly the first to mention freeware.......

Offline NRSD Moonshadow

• Toot! Toot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 09:22:57 PM »
actually Starhawk, you downloaded the source code not the Binaries.

Offline starhawk

• Veteran Member
  • I think too big.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 09:43:11 PM »
@Tanky: What I was pointing out was that none of what you mentioned was open source. It is true that nothing I mentioned was open source either.

@NRSD: I always was told that "code" was slang for source code or source programming, i.e. "lines of code". Must I tell the fellow who makes me look computer retarded that he is incorrect?

Offline NRSD Moonshadow

• Toot! Toot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 11:21:52 PM »
a "line of code" is like a section of the programming. Its also what some programmers use to judge how complex a program ( for example, Program X has 10,000 lines of code)

Source Code or Source Files are uncompiled version of a program that need to be compiled.

Other terms I've seen in the Linux word are "Cooked"( binary executable) and "Uncooked" or "Raw" ( source code that needs compiling, perfect for those that want to port the program to a different platform)

fowlerbryan

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 08:37:58 AM »
I think we should sticky this thread (if thats an option). There are some great free-ware apps out there, I'll post my list a little later on...

Offline SeQuBu

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2006, 12:55:47 AM »
CCleaner
Adaware SE
Antivir
Firefox
Messenger & Trillian
Winamp
Quicktime Player
FLV Player
USS Esmeralda:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::_______________________________________:::::::::: ____________.---------.____________
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: / ---´-------------------------------´..:::\\ \___\ ___.---'----------/-------------------------------`---._
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::`-------------------------------.-------.-----------'----===============================`
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: /___\_____\____,---'--------------------,---------------'
"...where the ocean meets the sky, I´ll be sailing"::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: `----._______,------------'

Offline Duranium Horse

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2006, 10:58:54 AM »
I'm a pretty heavy Linux user, so there ya go.

When in Windows I use:
foobar2k
media player classic
xvid
dvd decrypter
ffdshow
ccleaner
firefox
7-zip
spybot s&d
Exact Audio Copy
AviSynth 2.5
and more that I don't feel like digging around my C: for.

Offline SeQuBu

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2006, 05:01:31 PM »
Gee, one of the most important of all, WINRAR of course (kicks winzips ass all the way)
USS Esmeralda:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::_______________________________________:::::::::: ____________.---------.____________
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: / ---´-------------------------------´..:::\\ \___\ ___.---'----------/-------------------------------`---._
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::`-------------------------------.-------.-----------'----===============================`
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: /___\_____\____,---'--------------------,---------------'
"...where the ocean meets the sky, I´ll be sailing"::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: `----._______,------------'

Offline Kevin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 03:49:50 PM »
Mozilla Firefox (Internet Explorer for the websites created by *ahem* the less progressive that don't do Firefox)

Get the Firefox IE Tab extension. It allows you to view pages in IE settings so you don't actually have to use IE.

BTW, I use Trillian, Firefox, Thunderbird, WinRAR, Ad-Aware and Limewire.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2006, 05:19:16 AM »
Stickied.

Offline Viral

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2006, 01:46:01 AM »
ACE Mega Codec pack... the last codec pack you'll ever need  8) (well for video....)
FLAC - Free Lossless Audio Codec de-re-encoder
WinRAR
Last.fm
The Gimp
Hamachi (VPN client)
DVD Decrypter
Firefox 2
AdAware & Spybot
and BitComet......... perhaps the uber program of them all
Once you leave the womb, conservatives don’t care about you until you reach military age. Then you’re just what they’re looking for. Conservatives want live babies so they can raise them to be dead soldiers.
- George Carlin

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2006, 10:10:16 AM »
What's the improvement offered by WinRAR versus WinZIP?

WinZIP has a couple of annoying elements but overall it's worked fine for me.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 10:17:55 AM by Bond, James Bond »

Offline starhawk

• Veteran Member
  • I think too big.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2006, 10:20:55 AM »
WinRAR is able to create *.rar files, which are like *.zip files except that they are compressable. The only unfortunate thing is that I've never been able to create a *.zip file from WinRAR, although it *can* read them. So I have both.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2006, 10:30:07 AM »
Ahh, thanks.

Javert

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2006, 11:02:23 AM »
Ahh, thanks.

RARs also tend to be smaller than a comparable ZIP file. (in my experience they are about 5 to 10 percent smaller).

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2006, 01:09:11 PM »
Anyone know of a good freeware program that allows for scrolling screen captures so you can capture an entire page from top to bottom?

Or alternatively one that captures & uploads to your hardrive all of the images on a single page and has an easy to use interface?

I've been looking around and found several but for one reason or another they haven't worked properly or been very easy to use.

Offline Setekh

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2006, 01:40:12 PM »
I use Screen Grab! extension for Firefox. It works pretty well. Right click and you can save a whole page as 1 image.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2006, 02:15:24 PM »
Muchos gracias.

Offline Legion

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Firemod
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2006, 03:23:09 PM »
Ahh, thanks.

RARs also tend to be smaller than a comparable ZIP file. (in my experience they are about 5 to 10 percent smaller).

The smallest I've seen, are neither from Winzip or Winrar but 7zip. It does its zipping rather well. I tested it with a 20 meg file, and while Winrar compressed it to 19 meg, 7zip hit 17 Meg. That may not sound a lot, but I wager that big files may profit from it.
J.J. Abrams about the new film:

"Its not a reboot"