Author Topic: free\open source software and games  (Read 27707 times)

Offline Viral

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: F|OSS you like
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2006, 05:07:40 PM »
Well then you're in luck, because if you need to extract a 7-zip archive, WinRAR handles that extension too!

Yeah, RAR files generally manage a 5-10% compression ratio depending on the settings used. If you'd changed from the default settings within WinRAR you probably you've hit 18MBs on that file, but yes, 7-zip is still technically better for straight compression purposes.

I use Screen Grab! extension for Firefox. It works pretty well. Right click and you can save a whole page as 1 image.

That's pretty cool. Thanks Setekh!
Once you leave the womb, conservatives don’t care about you until you reach military age. Then you’re just what they’re looking for. Conservatives want live babies so they can raise them to be dead soldiers.
- George Carlin

Javert

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2006, 09:04:53 AM »
Or alternatively one that captures & uploads to your hardrive all of the images on a single page and has an easy to use interface?

I've been looking around and found several but for one reason or another they haven't worked properly or been very easy to use.

The DownThemAll! Extension for FireFox works quite well, and it can pull down more than just images if you use the right filters.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2006, 11:40:47 AM »
Thanks.

Offline Duranium Horse

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2007, 07:53:11 PM »

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2007, 06:02:28 AM »
Here's a cool little bit of freeware:

http://www.wildbits.com/tunatic/

Ever thought ‘what is this song?’ Let Tunatic hear it and you will get the artist's name and the song's title within seconds. Tunatic is the very first song search engine based on sound for your computer. All you need is a microphone and Internet access.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 06:04:03 AM by Bond, James Bond »

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2007, 11:32:44 AM »
Two free programs that I use regularly:
OpenOffice  I haven't used all the programs that come with the download, but I use OpenOffice Writer almost every day and I've found it to be every bit as good as Microsoft word.  The newest version was released not to long ago.

Celtx  is a free script (screenplay) writing program.  While it doesn't have as many features as some of the other programs out there, it is free and it will serve most of your needs...particularly if you're just interested in writing semi-professional scripts to show online.  It also comes with a PDF converter which really is about the best way to share scripts you've written.  You have to join/register with the Celtx community to use the PDF converter, but joining is free as well and it's worth it in the long run.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2007, 03:48:50 AM »
I have both of those. The Open Office Suite is probably the best freeware download available on the net. All of the essentials in one package and it's superior to comparable Microsoft programs.

Offline Pleiades

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2007, 07:25:33 AM »
I have Openoffice on my Laptop, im gonna be using it for collage, I dont think that the £500 MS Office 2007 of doom is worth it.
''To them, you're just a freak, like me... They need you right now, but when they don't, they'll cast you out. Like a leper. See, thier morals, thier code; it's a bad joke...''

''Do I really look like a guy with a plan...?''

---Joker---

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2007, 07:32:48 AM »
I find OpenOffice's chart and graph options clunky, but that could just be cos I'm used to Excel. What does bug me is the lack of an obvious "text to columns" feature.

Offline Da Vinci

• Dutchman in Her Majesty's lands
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2007, 10:13:21 AM »
Well, Excel graphs are fugly as hell also. (Which is why I use SigmaPlot). How is Open Office with images in text? Because Word always drives me crazy when I'm aligning images next to text.
Godwin's law rephrased: reductio ad Hitlerum

Offline Kestra

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2007, 10:39:39 AM »
The guys at VST first told me about Open Office and I love it for basic word processing.  My sister had the same issues with her laptop as I did with mine, so when they sent it back she didn't have Microsoft Word and I had her dowload Open Office instead.  It's seriously surpassed my expectations for freeware in so many ways.
... dancing in the night in the middle of June ...

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2007, 09:50:06 AM »
Google Earth has been updated to include Google Sky, a searchable database of stellar objects that combines both star maps and actual photographs from Hubble and other sources. Type in Mintaka for instance and it will zoom towards Orion's Belt and display a picture of the star taken by Hubble. More stellar objects will be added by users as the program is used more and more, just like the 3-D views of buildings and natural objects in Google Earth. Other additions include high res photos of natural objects in Google Earth that can be toggled along with the 3-D or 2-D views.

http://earth.google.com/

Offline NRSD Moonshadow

• Toot! Toot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2007, 12:52:25 PM »
Open Office appears to be done by Sun so that certainly explains how good it is. I've always been impressed with Sun products and would love to get my hands on a Sun Workstation. I already took advantage of the "Solaris 10 Giveaway" and I'm looking for a small footprint Desktop or a Laptop to install it on.
In Soviet Russia, computer fix YOU!

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2007, 11:25:00 AM »
Does a anyone here know of an alternative to MSN Messenger? I need something compatible, since my d-loaded version seems to be trying to drive me insane. It works fine, up until the moment when you try to send a message. It then proceeds to grind to a halt.
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline Darkstone

• Hear Me Roar!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2007, 11:55:05 AM »
Try Trillian. It incorporates all the major IM programs.
Until shade is gone. Until water is gone... Into the shadow with teeth bared...
Screaming defiance with the last breath... To spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2007, 11:58:09 AM »
Thanks, one more non-Windows program for me.
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
Free Online Games.
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2008, 03:42:57 PM »
I'm looking for some great games.  Can you guys point in the right direction?
Human Nature. Without a common enemy , men will look for foes in the one place they can guarantee finding one: The Past. -Eoforth, Sigmar's right hand man,

A mind without a purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor, Inquisitor of the Imperium of Mankind.

Offline Kestra

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Free Online Games.
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2008, 08:07:22 PM »
What sort of games are you looking for exactly, WW?  Besides free of course.  :P
... dancing in the night in the middle of June ...

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2008, 09:27:14 PM »
Some Great MMRPOGs.
Human Nature. Without a common enemy , men will look for foes in the one place they can guarantee finding one: The Past. -Eoforth, Sigmar's right hand man,

A mind without a purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor, Inquisitor of the Imperium of Mankind.

Offline BorgMan

• Global Moderator
  • Artistic Assimilator
    • View Profile
    • Visionm.nl
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2008, 08:07:31 AM »
Try Newgrounds; they have tons of stuff and banners to (supposedly) free MMORPGS.
*Doorbell Sound*

"Hi, I am Elder 14 of 37 and this is my traveling companion Sister 29 of 128. We represent the Borg..."
"Oh Roddenbery, you guys again? Look, it's 8 in the morning and I don't have time for you OK? I told you last week..."
"But... Assimilation... Holopamflet!"
"Yeah right, you can leave it here but I'll throw it on the rest of the bunch I got from your other 'brothers' and 'sisters'. Now scram before I call the 8472 Squad!"

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2008, 01:00:23 PM »
Ok, thanks, BM. Any other suggestions?

Edit: Has anyone ever played this? http://shaiya.aeriagames.com/  If so is it any good?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 05:49:34 PM by White Wolf »

Offline Ozzymandeus

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2008, 01:17:41 PM »
Try this, its totally awesome

www.ferion.com

i forgot you cant put banners on here
You are the Smartass! In fact, you could very well be the anti-Christ, as you are almost the exact opposite of everything Jesus was supposed to be. While Jesus says love your enemy, you say love beating the crap out of your enemy. While Jesus raises the dead, you raise hell. While Jesus walks on water, you tend to sink. You probably consider people who are emotional and gentle to be big pussies who are obviously in lesser stature than you. You have many flaws, despite your seeming intelligence and cool-headedness. For instance, you aren't very nice. In fact, you're probably an asshole.

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2008, 01:42:47 PM »
Try this, its totally awesome

www.ferion.com

i forgot you cant put banners on here

What is Ferion?

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2008, 02:02:37 AM »
Click the link to find out.

America's Army is alright, if you don't mind playing a blatant piece of propaganda. It's like a more realistic, free version of COD4. That asks you if you want to join the army all the time.

But whatever you do, don't play Adventure Quest.
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2008, 02:07:13 AM »
Click the link to find out.

America's Army is alright, if you don't mind playing a blatant piece of propaganda. It's like a more realistic, free version of COD4. That asks you if you want to join the army all the time.

But whatever you do, don't play Adventure Quest.

And don't join the US Army. They owe me $20.

What was that turn based, web game, game we all used to play, where you create navies and armies and such?
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.