Author Topic: free\open source software and games  (Read 27722 times)

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
Re: Free Online Games.
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2008, 11:00:11 AM »

But whatever you do, don't play Adventure Quest.

Why? Is there something i should know?
Human Nature. Without a common enemy , men will look for foes in the one place they can guarantee finding one: The Past. -Eoforth, Sigmar's right hand man,

A mind without a purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor, Inquisitor of the Imperium of Mankind.

Offline Ozzymandeus

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2008, 09:55:49 PM »
ferion is kinda, but not really like Gal Civ, if you enjoy making your own ships and then using said ships to conquer your arena then by all means go ahead
You are the Smartass! In fact, you could very well be the anti-Christ, as you are almost the exact opposite of everything Jesus was supposed to be. While Jesus says love your enemy, you say love beating the crap out of your enemy. While Jesus raises the dead, you raise hell. While Jesus walks on water, you tend to sink. You probably consider people who are emotional and gentle to be big pussies who are obviously in lesser stature than you. You have many flaws, despite your seeming intelligence and cool-headedness. For instance, you aren't very nice. In fact, you're probably an asshole.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2008, 11:16:40 PM »
http://www.onlinegames.net/

Most of them seem to be simple flash games and the like, but you might find something to to amuse yourself while you're supposed to be working.

I've been playing this one for the past few days.
http://www.onlinegames.net/games/1388/1-starship.html

Hey one of you moderators sticky this thread, and whenever someone finds a new free online game, we can post it here.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Cat-Nadian

• Board Legend
  • There is only Zuul
    • View Profile
    • Cat-Nadian Blog
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2008, 11:21:10 PM »
When you're tired of the shootem up games,go to PopCap Games

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2008, 05:22:11 AM »
Hey one of you moderators sticky this thread, and whenever someone finds a new free online game, we can post it here.

We actually already have a generic "free\open source software" sticky thread here. I'll rename it to provide a more obvious reminder to people.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 05:24:27 AM by Stoo »

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2008, 10:43:21 AM »
Why not just merge the 2 and just use this Thread's title.  :)
Human Nature. Without a common enemy , men will look for foes in the one place they can guarantee finding one: The Past. -Eoforth, Sigmar's right hand man,

A mind without a purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor, Inquisitor of the Imperium of Mankind.

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
Re: free\open source software and games
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2008, 01:49:44 PM »
Yeah ok so that's what I would have thought of if I was actually firing on all cylinders today. :sheepish:

Threads merged!

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2008, 05:50:56 PM »
It's ok. We all feel that at times. :)

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2008, 02:06:11 PM »

But whatever you do, don't play Adventure Quest.

Why? Is there something i should know?
Are you going to answer my question, Daft?

Offline DaimonConstantine

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2008, 05:18:34 PM »
I may be a few years older that some of you, but:

1970's: Some text-based games for the Commodore PET 2001 (4K RAM system!)
1980's: AmiGopher, Misc. Games for C-64/128 and Amiga, Free Modula 2
1990's: NCSA Mosaic, Netscape Navigator, Mozilla, Firefox, Winamp, Open VMS
2000;s: Opera, T-Bird, FFDShow, MythTV, Winamp, Solaris, Fedora, VLC Video LAN
Unsure (My Boss installs them):  Dassault Catia, VMWare, Acronis

Oh - the Marine Corps used a few esoteric things from Intergraph, TRW, KSR and Raytheon.  I'm not sure of their license status.  The last I used an Intergraph workstation was around 1997, hooked up to a KSR (Kendall Square Research?) mainframe.  That workstation was unbelievably fast (I believe it was a dual 200MHz Pentium Pro, with 1GB RAM).

Semper Fi,
Daimon

P.S.S:  Whoever posted WinDirStat - Thanks, that is awesome.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 05:36:23 PM by DaimonConstantine »

Offline MageGrayWolf

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • JKcoder
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2008, 12:18:29 AM »
Thought I would share a site I have been wasting many hours at recently.

http://armorgames.com/

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2008, 09:56:47 PM »
Pandemic 2.

Fun game where you customize your own disease, and try to infect the entire planet.
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline Yroark

• Truth is but an illusion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2009, 10:21:04 AM »
Best Instant messaging client - Pidgin http://www.Pidgin.im

Handles almost any IM protocol and has tons of addons.

Defualt IM Protocols
AIM, Gadu-Gadu, Bonjour, Google Talk, GroupWise, ICQ, IRC, MSN, MySpace, QQ, SILC, Simple, SameTIme, XMPP, Yahoo

Third Party Addon Protocols
Facebook

In ourselves we find TRUTH, In truth we discover KNOWLEDGE, From knowledge we draw STRENGTH, With strength we OVERCOME.

Offline Broken Subspace Scene

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2009, 09:11:46 PM »
I've been using Evernote for a few weeks now, and it's rather kickass.  It's a free, syncable, web-accessible program for storing and organizing notes, available for Windows, Mac, and Mobile.  I use the Mac version at home and PC at work, and I haven't had any negative issues so far.

I downloaded it originally to have an easy way of being able to jot down work-related ideas that occurred to me at home, in such a way that they'd be easily accessible back at work.  As I've used it more, I find it is perfect for collecting random bits of data (ex. quickly clipping online shopping shipping confirmations, etc.) and notes rather than having post-its and scraps lying around, and writing down small things for work that don't really need Word files.

It features tags and searching, and it has good screen- and text-grabbing capabilities as well as text recognition software for images.  The Mac version also has pretty sweet iSight integration (for quickly snapping photos of little notes or info ex. ticket stubs, receipts, etc) which are then text-searchable.

Offline Cyril Keir

• Lord of Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2009, 05:21:28 PM »
MMORPGs

www.runesofmagic.com

Compared in a favorable light to WoW by almost everyone who plays it. 100% free to download (3.2(ish)gig download) it is an AMAZING game. You can dual class, many quests and instances to go on- Constant new content being added every week/month. Just recently came out of beta stages (which I beta tested for... very fun).

It will blow your socks off. Check out some of the videos they have there of the game. Definitely a must have.

------

FPS

http://combatarms.nexon.net/

A VERY fun and nice graphics free to play and free to download FPS game. All online, multiplayer. I enjoy this game immensely.

And for those of you with not-so-great computers...

www.urbanterror.net

Another fun, Free to play and free to download FPS game that is not as graphically intensive as Combat Arms
--
Velvet drapes, glowing candles
Silent whispers of words inside of my head
The night that comes, it waits for me
Lift me to the ending of another day
I'm haunted

Offline NRSD Moonshadow

• Toot! Toot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2009, 05:31:43 PM »
Got a Windows Mobile/ Pocket PC with either Wi-Fi or a good data plan. Try Skyfire, probably the best Web Browser for a PDA. So far its the only one I've found that can do youtube from within the browser instead of a separate app. Its not perfect, but it plays fairly good however using the Youtube window's volume control is next to impossible to do, so you need to use the devices volume. The web browser is designed to give the PDA the full capability of a big system's browser, instead of a dumbed down version like Pocket IE.

Performance is good, with just a little jerkiness on my 400 mhz HTC, however with faster cpu devices, and even more developed releases, I'm sure the jerkiness will disappear.

Other apps to do youtube, with playback better than the current Skyfire, are Youtube's own app, and Youtubeplay , which offers more features than the one Youtube offers.

http://www.skyfire.com/  for Skyfire

http://youtubeplay.en.softonic.com/pocketpc  for Youtubeplay

for Youtube's version, there is a link when you go to youtube through Pocket IE.

In Soviet Russia, computer fix YOU!

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2010, 05:37:39 PM »
Portal is free for PC and now Mac as well for the next three days (until May 24th). You need to download Steam as well (sort of like iTunes for games - it's posted in the download link) but it's all free.

Here's a video about the free deal, and some Flash maps of all the Portal levels.