Author Topic: Off Topic Discussion - Direct Ask & Answer  (Read 272209 times)

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
Off Topic Discussion - Direct Ask & Answer
« on: September 13, 2006, 11:36:04 AM »
In an attempt to stifle your creativity or clear some of the clutter, (I havenít decided which yet), Iím creating this Off Topic Discussion thread as a place to primarily ask & answer direct questions that should not require and entire topic. And in a similar fashion to the Off Topic Discussion thread in GAL, if you feel like going on about some detail of a thread that will likely derail the topic into no mans land, then by all means bring your discussion here. This is also the place where people should post the ever classic, ďWhatís your favorite movie/ship/series/captain/episode/alien/,Ē that get repeated to death. So in the future if some newb posts such a topic, just direct them here. Big Grin

The same rules and guidelines from GAL apply here, but particularly keep the ďRazor rises from the dead to hack at his opponents with a machete,Ē kind of thing to a minimum. Itís not that we donít all enjoy it, but it can be done elsewhere.  ;)
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
Re: Off Topic Discussion - Direct Ask & Answer
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 01:26:57 AM »
The same rules and guidelines from GAL apply here, but particularly keep the ďRazor rises from the dead to hack at his opponents with a machete,Ē kind of thing to a minimum. Itís not that we donít all enjoy it, but it can be done elsewhere.

I dont recall ever doing that in the Trek forums.
ďThe boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.Ē ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

fowlerbryan

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 05:02:48 AM »
Was there anything ever stated as to why Voyager only had one tri-cobalt device?

Offline Chemahkuu

• Distinguished Member
  • Resident Insufferable Treknobabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 06:55:47 AM »
Theyre considered illegal by the Federation, their ships are not allowed to carry them so the device had to be produced onboard the ship in the time they had.

Offline brichard001

• Ask me about Canon. I dare you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 04:35:30 PM »
Ok, where was is stated that they were considered illegal?  I got the impression they were carrying one to demolish the Maquis base if/when they found it in the course of searching for Tuvok and the Raider ship.
Local fire-department is seeking a siren for new fire-truck. Must be willing to suffer near constant groin injury and genital trauma. No experience required, will train. This is a temp-hire position.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 05:00:33 PM »
Uhhh... Chem. MA seems to disagree with you on a few things.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Tricobalt_device
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Pleiades

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 05:20:24 PM »
Interesting they 'utilise' them, meaning that they are legal, but theyn were not smart enough to use them against the borg were they, No!
''To them, you're just a freak, like me... They need you right now, but when they don't, they'll cast you out. Like a leper. See, thier morals, thier code; it's a bad joke...''

''Do I really look like a guy with a plan...?''

---Joker---

Offline evilsmileyface12

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 05:50:28 PM »
so if its a sub-space "type" weapon then??????

arent sub-space weapons banned ???
ESF-12

Offline starhawk

• Veteran Member
  • I think too big.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 06:01:01 PM »
Quoted from the MA article linked above:
It is of note that when used under certain conditions, tricobalt explosives can cause subspace ruptures. They are however, probably not considered subspace weapons, as their effects are highly predictable and they are routinely carried by Federation vessels. Subspace weapons were banned by the second Khitomer Accords. (Star Trek: Insurrection)
:p

Offline Chemahkuu

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 06:46:02 AM »
Well Fuck the plot of Caretaker then, oh wait, it pretty much already was...

Offline brichard001

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 03:25:46 PM »
Maybe they did use them against the Borg and they were ineffective? 

As for the other point... a subspace weapon (as shown in InSUCKrection) seems to affect subspace directly by ripping open an energetic rift in the very fabric of reality.   That's a bad thing for a number of reasons.

The tricobalt device doesn't seem to affect subspace directly any subspace effects that may occure seem to be secondary in nature... prehaps even caused by the detonation of the Array and not the device itself.

Last item...  I can't recall which came first Caretaker or InSUCKrection?   Maybe the ban on these weapons (if you classify them as subspace weapons, which I don't see them as)  took place after Voyager went out Maquis hunting?
Local fire-department is seeking a siren for new fire-truck. Must be willing to suffer near constant groin injury and genital trauma. No experience required, will train. This is a temp-hire position.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 03:34:20 PM »
As I recall, Caretaker takes place in 2371 and Insurrection takes place around 2374 or 75.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline brichard001

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 05:20:16 PM »
There is a possible answer then.

If they classify them as subspace weapons they weren't banned yet then.

Voyager wouldn't know of any treaty updates being stuck Way Out there.

(This is assuming the Second Accords refers to the treaty that ended the Klingon-Federation Unpleasentness Caused By The Dominion.)

Offline NRSD Moonshadow

• Toot! Toot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 06:19:15 PM »
actually, Voyager had two tricobalts. It used both on the Array
In Soviet Russia, computer fix YOU!

fowlerbryan

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2006, 08:46:36 AM »
actually, Voyager had two tricobalts. It used both on the Array

Did they fire two? I thought they only fired one, and they made the yield really really big?

Offline Da Vinci

• Dutchman in Her Majesty's lands
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2006, 10:19:46 AM »
Yep it was two, see this link for pics.
Godwin's law rephrased: reductio ad Hitlerum

Offline Cat-Nadian

• Board Legend
  • There is only Zuul
    • View Profile
    • Cat-Nadian Blog
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2006, 10:24:51 AM »
Why was Voyager equiped with Tri Cobalt weapons if they are/were illegal?

Offline Da Vinci

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2006, 10:28:10 AM »
Nobody knows but it was (sort of) discussed in "The Voyager Conspiracy". Anyway, we're not even completely sure they're illegal. I've always thought that they were carried because they would me more effective in the Badland than normal torps (speculation of course).

Offline brichard001

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2006, 05:05:17 PM »
...or possibly they were planing on blowing up the Maquis base if they found it. 

Maybe this deserves its own thread rather than cluttering up the General Question/Answer thread?  Mods can we split this off?

Darmok

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2006, 12:43:43 AM »
So how powerful exactly are tri-cobalt devices? In the (awesome) fan series Hidden Frontier, a tri-cobalt device was used to destroy a Borg cube, which I thought was a bit unlikely.

Offline Da Vinci

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2006, 01:07:35 AM »
Well, the yield is up to 20,000 Teracochranes ;)

Darmok

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2006, 01:51:17 AM »

Hmm...Iím a Star Trek nerd, but apparently not enough to know what that means, really. I do remember that an n-cochrane warp field propels a ship at n times the speed of light...

Offline Da Vinci

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2006, 01:53:55 AM »

Hmm...Iím a Star Trek nerd, but apparently not enough to know what that means, really. I do remember that an n-cochrane warp field propels a ship at n times the speed of light...
Don't worry, nobody does ;D. Best guess is that it created some kind of subspace gradient that shears the target apart. Although it would then make more sense to give the yield in Cochrane/meter.

Darmok

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2006, 02:19:40 AM »
Don't worry, nobody does ;D. Best guess is that it created some kind of subspace gradient that shears the target apart. Although it would then make more sense to give the yield in Cochrane/meter.

Well, thatís a relief! Iíd hate for my knowledge of subspace physics to be so quickly put to shame!

Offline Chemahkuu

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2006, 06:31:33 AM »
I think one of the old TOS engineering consoles gave a "Cochrane Readout" that was a graph of two values, I have to go look it up to see what that was exactly, might help.