Author Topic: Off Topic Discussion - Direct Ask & Answer  (Read 272223 times)

Offline evilsmileyface12

• View Profile
Re: Off Topic Discussion - Direct Ask & Answer
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2006, 09:58:59 PM »
http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k211/ESF-12/?sc=3

got a bunch off screens from Generations and Nemesis...
ESF-12

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2006, 12:17:35 AM »
Treknation did an article on "the Ships of the line" calander series. 

http://www.treknation.com/articles/books/ships_of_the_line_preview.shtml

It shows a couple of interesting pictures.  The most interesting on being the bottom one showing a buried NX-02 Columbia.  Though if you look closely you'll notice that the NX-02 in the pic is woefully undersized.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Rusty

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2006, 12:24:31 AM »
You think so? I remember one ENT episode where it pans across the exterior of the NX-01 until it rests on a porthole showing Archer's face - I thought it was pretty accurate. If you reference the picture, with the figures on top of the hull, it kind of matches up.

The saucer section is about as long as a footy field, and add 125m you get the rest of the length to the tip of the nacelle.

I think it looks just about right. It certainly doesn't have the same size issues as the BoP in ST:TVH
Edmund: I remember Massingburg's most famous case, the case of the bloody knife. A man was found next to a murdured body, he had the knife in his hand, thirteen witnesses that seen him stab the victim, and when the police arrived he said, "I'm glad I killed the bastard." Massingbird not only got him off, but he got him knighted in the New Year's Honors list, and the relatives of the victim had to pay to have the blood washed out of his jacket.
Perkins: And he's a dab hand at the prosecution, Sir.
Edmund: Yes, well, look at Oscar Wilde.
Perkins: Oh, butch Oscar.
Edmund: Big, bearded, bonking, butch Oscar - the terror of the ladies. 114 illegitamate children, world heavyweight boxing champion, and author of the best-selling phamplet, "Why I Like To Do It With Girls". Massingbird had him sent down for being a woopsie.

Tanky

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2006, 12:42:51 AM »
NX-02 could have been a bit bigger I think. Wonder what the explaintion of it being on the planet is (obviously crashed from the nose damage but why?), and more specifically what happen to its crew, as those are all "modern" shuttles and runabouts around her.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2006, 03:13:10 AM »
You think so? I remember one ENT episode where it pans across the exterior of the NX-01 until it rests on a porthole showing Archer's face - I thought it was pretty accurate. If you reference the picture, with the figures on top of the hull, it kind of matches up.

The saucer section is about as long as a footy field, and add 125m you get the rest of the length to the tip of the nacelle.

I think it looks just about right. It certainly doesn't have the same size issues as the BoP in ST:TVH

Well you think wrong here's a screencap of "Minefeild" where Malcolm and Archer can be seen on the hull with a romulan mine.

http://ent.trekcore.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=33&pos=281

That picture makes those humans about 2 stories tall.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Offline NRSD Moonshadow

• Toot! Toot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2006, 05:11:07 PM »
shuttles and runabouts around her.

looks like theres even an Argo Jeep in the scene as well.
In Soviet Russia, computer fix YOU!

Offline evilsmileyface12

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2006, 07:26:27 PM »
shuttles and runabouts around her.

looks like theres even an Argo Jeep in the scene as well.

and a runabout... bottem left  :P
ESF-12

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2006, 07:35:45 PM »
The NX-02 is indeed a bit off-scale in relations to the Starfleet folks.

Look toward the top where theres a crew member near the bridge. Look how small the bridge is...he wouldn't fit in there the way we've seen it depicted.

;)

"You have always had a hard time finding your place in this world, haven't you? Never knowing your true worth? You can settle for less than an ordinary life. Now you feel like you were meant for something better? Something special?"    - Christopher Pike speaking to a young James T. Kirk

Darmok

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2006, 08:14:41 PM »
Treknation did an article on "the Ships of the line" calander series. 

http://www.treknation.com/articles/books/ships_of_the_line_preview.shtml

It shows a couple of interesting pictures.  The most interesting on being the bottom one showing a buried NX-02 Columbia.  Though if you look closely you'll notice that the NX-02 in the pic is woefully undersized.

Awesome pictures, Razor! I love stuff like this, when we see people in relation to the ships. Q and Amanda on the Enterprise-D and Picard, Worf, and (Hawk?) on the Enterprise-E come to mind. I especially love when we see a zoom-out from a window or see other window detail, like the guy walking in the conference room in the intro to TNG. I think that is so cool!

Offline Rusty

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2006, 08:22:03 PM »
The NX-02 is indeed a bit off-scale in relations to the Starfleet folks.

Look toward the top where theres a crew member near the bridge. Look how small the bridge is...he wouldn't fit in there the way we've seen it depicted.

I dunno... the three individuals (a couple with the single a little bit to the right) seem to be forward of the bridge by perhaps 10 or so metres. The perspective may be a bit misleading, but its pretty close I reckon. Again, better than some BoP shots in ST:TVH.

Well you think wrong here's a screencap of "Minefeild" where Malcolm and Archer can be seen on the hull with a romulan mine.

http://ent.trekcore.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=33&pos=281

That picture makes those humans about 2 stories tall.

Just doing a size comparison between the NX-01 and the USN Carrier USS Enterprise, I'd say that the Minefield episode's man-to-ship size ratio makes the ship look larger than it is supposed to be, if anything.

This should probably become it's own topic.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 08:31:23 PM by Rusty »
Edmund: I remember Massingburg's most famous case, the case of the bloody knife. A man was found next to a murdured body, he had the knife in his hand, thirteen witnesses that seen him stab the victim, and when the police arrived he said, "I'm glad I killed the bastard." Massingbird not only got him off, but he got him knighted in the New Year's Honors list, and the relatives of the victim had to pay to have the blood washed out of his jacket.
Edmund: Big, bearded, bonking, butch Oscar - the terror of the ladies. 114 illegitamate children, world heavyweight boxing champion, and author of the best-selling phamplet, "Why I Like To Do It With Girls". Massingbird had him sent down for being a woopsie.

Javert

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2006, 08:34:08 PM »
I'll run some scalling tomorrow as I think I should be able to.

Edit- can I get a screen cap frome Minefield where one of the characters is standing up, as that would help dramaticly.

Offline Rusty

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2006, 08:45:18 PM »
I look forward to seeing the results you come up with :)

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2006, 09:26:26 PM »
Well, using DITL, I came up with this image:

Using the Camaro especially, which most of us should be familiar with since its a car, and you can imagine the size of a human in that relation, you can see its scale to an NX Class.

I threw in the Argo Jeep as well.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 09:33:12 PM by DarkShinobi »

"You have always had a hard time finding your place in this world, haven't you? Never knowing your true worth? You can settle for less than an ordinary life. Now you feel like you were meant for something better? Something special?"    - Christopher Pike speaking to a young James T. Kirk

Offline Rusty

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2006, 09:33:00 PM »
I used the same comparison program, with the USS Enterprise (USN Carrier)

Javert

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2006, 10:05:37 PM »
Well, using DITL, I came up with this image:

Using the Camaro especially, which most of us should be familiar with since its a car, and you can imagine the size of a human in that relation, you can see its scale to an NX Class.

I threw in the Argo Jeep as well.

I wanted to Scale the NX from the Human

Edit: Any of the season 3 shots where we see a person blown out of the ship would be good aswell.

Oh and for the record - one could say I'm a Pro at this as I work on scalling images of compressor failure when I worked for Emerson Climate Tech.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 10:19:04 PM by Timothy C. »

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2006, 12:12:58 AM »

As do I though Im telling you guys that the humans are out of scale.

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2006, 08:40:07 AM »

As do I though I'm telling you guys that the humans are out of scale.

I agree with you on that.

Offline brichard001

• Ask me about Canon. I dare you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2006, 09:45:35 AM »
NX-02 could have been a bit bigger I think. Wonder what the explaintion of it being on the planet is (obviously crashed from the nose damage but why?), and more specifically what happen to its crew, as those are all "modern" shuttles and runabouts around her.

Time Travailing Troi. 

"Deanna?  Well that's a lovely name.  Sure I'll give you a quick tour...  Oh, that's our helm console.  Ok, sit here and press HEY WHAT ARE YOU--WATCH OUT FOR THAT--OH MY GOD!"  *sound of high-speed impact*
Local fire-department is seeking a siren for new fire-truck. Must be willing to suffer near constant groin injury and genital trauma. No experience required, will train. This is a temp-hire position.

Offline evilsmileyface12

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2006, 09:56:11 AM »

Time Travailing Troi. 

"Deanna?  Well that's a lovely name.  Sure I'll give you a quick tour...  Oh, that's our helm console.  Ok, sit here and press HEY WHAT ARE YOU--WATCH OUT FOR THAT--OH MY GOD!"  *sound of high-speed impact*

ROFL  :D
ESF-12

Offline Rusty

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2006, 03:33:15 PM »
Emailed Bernd via EAS about the NX-01 and -02 size comparisons - this is what he reckons:

> Something interesting popped up recently on the SCN; what are some of the size inconsistencies of the NX-01? Two starting points;
>
> An image of the NX-02 Columbia - is the ship depicted too small?
> http://www.treknation.com/articles/books/ships_of_the_line_preview.shtml

I'd say it's scaled correctly. I'm not so fond about the hull damage. It
is well possible that, depending on how exactly the impact takes place,
the main hull members get bent, but if they are wrinkled like on the
picture, I would expect the hull plates to break off rather than
following the curvature like a one-piece car hull.

> Or the ENT episode "Minefield" - is Malcolm and Archer too big/small?
> http://ent.trekcore.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=33&pos=281

Good find. They are too small. The saucer edge (or height of the
thruster block) measures a bit less than 4m. It looks like more than 6m
on the screen capture.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2006, 01:16:56 AM »
Hee Haw: The Next Generation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W42IY_SgCY4

Nuff said  :D

Offline Rusty

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2006, 01:23:06 AM »
Lol classic

Darmok

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2006, 06:18:40 PM »
Those streaks of light we see when ships are travelling at warp are stars, right? Why can we see them aft, like from the conference room?

And yes, I realize that if they are stars, they are moving far too fast; I can accept an answer like “Because it’s pretty!” (a la those noisy engines and phasers)...

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2006, 08:26:28 PM »
I suppose, originally, the FX folks intended that they were meant to be stars that streaked by the ship to show that it was travelling faster than the speed of light.

But more recently, the streaks have been explained as being Cerenkov Radiation that appears when a ship is at warp.

Tanky

« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2006, 08:51:29 PM »
You know looking at the two pictures (the NX-02 and the Minefield one), I really don't think the NX-02 is very far off. Maybe a bit small, but not by much.

EDIT: Whoops, didnt scoll all the way to the bottom of the thread before I replied. Didn't realise that discussion was over  :(
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 08:53:18 PM by Tanky »