Author Topic: Off Topic Discussion - Direct Ask & Answer  (Read 272348 times)

Darmok

Re: Off Topic Discussion - Direct Ask & Answer
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2006, 09:01:21 PM »
That’s an interesting idea...but would Cherenkov radiation be visible from the superluminal reference frame? I don’t believe so...though my knowledge of physics is sketchy. I don’t see how any light would be visible out of rear-facing or even side-facing windows, from a classical-physics point of view at least.

Still, I do like the “stars” streaking by; I wouldn’t want a empty black backdrop in the conference room. And though even at the Enterprise’s top speed, the stars would still seem essentially motionless to the naked eye, the streaking effect is cool, so I don’t complain too loudly.

Offline Chemahkuu

• Distinguished Member
  • Resident Insufferable Treknobabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2006, 07:40:14 AM »
I think Bond came up with the idea what the windows are holographic mesh's that display an LCD type projection from cameras all over the ship.  Only problem is, the shots from outside the ship looking in, they all make it look like a normal transparency, I cant see a reason for anyone wanting to look in :P

So the starstreak is probably just a SFX to make sure the people inboard dont get bored with a black featureless view out the window, which wouldnt exlpain the external shots of the ships at warp...anyway.

Offline brichard001

• Ask me about Canon. I dare you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2006, 05:58:18 PM »
Maybe those streaks are really bits of matter being pushed aside by the deflector, interacting with the warp-field and fading behind the ship as she moves forward.
Local fire-department is seeking a siren for new fire-truck. Must be willing to suffer near constant groin injury and genital trauma. No experience required, will train. This is a temp-hire position.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2006, 10:01:26 PM »
^^^Thats what I always figured.  Interstellar particles or something.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Darmok

« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2006, 11:21:27 PM »
Only problem is, the shots from outside the ship looking in, they all make it look like a normal transparency, I cant see a reason for anyone wanting to look in :P

The windows are definitely transparent from the outside—you can see the conference table and a man (apparently Captain Picard) walking in the conference room in the introduction to TNG.

Speaking of which, if I were Romulan and I had a spare cloaking probe or shuttle and I wanted to track the Enterprise, I would position it directly behind the conference room, or perhaps angle it so the screens would be visible. I’d use high magnification to spy on them and use my computer to read their lips and reconstruct their speech. I’d put a second one above the bridge skylight to spy on the bridge activities and computer readouts.

And I’d put a third outside Counselor Troi’s quarters. The only time she (or anyone) ever opacified the windows (that I can recall) is when she was putting Ian to sleep in “The Child”.

Yup.

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2006, 11:59:19 PM »
haha seven romulans ships all bumping into each other behind enterprise trying to find a good spot to watch Troi get undressed.

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2006, 05:57:00 AM »
Maybe those streaks are really bits of matter being pushed aside by the deflector, interacting with the warp-field and fading behind the ship as she moves forward.

My idea exactly. Simple, and hard to disprove. :)

Offline Chemahkuu

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2006, 06:23:38 AM »
haha seven romulans ships all bumping into each other behind enterprise trying to find a good spot to watch Troi get undressed.

ROFL :D

So thats why they kept her onboard.

Offline brichard001

• Ask me about Canon. I dare you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2006, 09:37:28 AM »

That'd be quite the explosion.

"There it is again!  That flash!  It only happens when I get undressed to shower!  Very peculiar."
Local fire-department is seeking a siren for new fire-truck. Must be willing to suffer near constant groin injury and genital trauma. No experience required, will train. This is a temp-hire position.

Darmok

« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2006, 11:32:12 PM »

"There it is again!  That flash!  It only happens when I get undressed to shower!  Very peculiar."

It was all mostly harmless until that one Romulan guy kidnapped her and dressed her as a Romulan for his twisted fetishes.

saavik_girl

« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2006, 04:08:05 PM »
My question is, why did Gene Roddnberry have a big problem with ST5, & ST6 ?  I can understand why he would have problems with bits of them, but not the entire movies  ???

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2006, 04:16:31 PM »
For ST5, the general thought is that he had issues with the religious elements. ST6......... I think the overly military elements, and probably that an Admiral was in on the conspiracy, but I'm not sure about that.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2006, 07:23:51 PM »
I also read somewhere that he wasn't happy with the character of Valeris.

He really wanted that person to be Saavik, but since the actress was "unavailable" and they didn't want to cast yet another actress to play Saavik, TPTB decided to create a new character.

Of course, this was all in the pre-production.

The opening of ST VI does have a "In Memory of Gene Roddenberry" so he had passed away by the time the movie was released.

"You have always had a hard time finding your place in this world, haven't you? Never knowing your true worth? You can settle for less than an ordinary life. Now you feel like you were meant for something better? Something special?"    - Christopher Pike speaking to a young James T. Kirk

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2006, 12:10:20 AM »
^^^Also Kim Cattrall (yes folks from Sex and the City) didn't want to be the 3rd Valeris and Nick Meyers agreed.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Offline Chemahkuu

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2006, 06:49:57 AM »
He passed away two days after seeing the private screening ???

As for Star Trek 6 I think it was the fact that high ranking Federation personnel, who should have been upholding the values of the Federation, were not only helping plan a war but assasinating people to do it.

Star Trek 5, yes I believe it was the fact that "God" and strong assocations with religion were included although Im sure he was more pleased with the false god ending.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2006, 11:56:42 AM »
I pre-ordered one last week. ;D
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Chemahkuu

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2006, 12:21:00 PM »
I cant believe this slipped under our noses.

http://www.thomasmodels.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=323&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

And New Force has it available for pre-order.

http://newforcecomics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=NFCC&Product_Code=tos1701&Category_Code=AASTC

Uhh Razor I hate to disappoint you, that guy may make incredible prototypes, but the toy companies never manufacture the mass production toy to that standard, the pictures Ive seen so far of the AA TOS Ent all show a mix up of the standard series model, the Cage model and very little detail and the wrong colour.

Id like to think its just one bad picture session, but given the disappointment of the Ent-E, how bad it really turned out to be, Im not going to be getting one of the 1701 myself.

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2006, 06:44:07 PM »
I wish they would make an actual Pike Era Enterprise, with the larger navigational deflector, the points on the nacelles, and MOST importantly, the "higher" saucer module.

(Look at the top ship)

I already have a number of TOS and TMP Era Enterprise models, but not of the Pike Era one, and I don't think the have actually made it.

"You have always had a hard time finding your place in this world, haven't you? Never knowing your true worth? You can settle for less than an ordinary life. Now you feel like you were meant for something better? Something special?"    - Christopher Pike speaking to a young James T. Kirk

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2006, 07:02:55 PM »
I believe Polar Lights made a model of the NCC-1701 can be made both as it appeared under Pike and as it appeared under Kirk, depending on how you want to go with it.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2006, 07:07:39 PM »
Ah...okay, but I was thinking Art Asylum type to go with my collection of other AA types.

Thanks FLO!

;D

ngc7293

« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2006, 10:47:34 PM »
I'm looking for a picture of an Intrepid that isn't.  I like the ship style, but not those funky folding nacelles.  I guess I am closer to the Nova/ Rhode Island Class, just larger.  This is a subject that must have come up a lot once Voyager came out and no more ships were designed to  get better gas milage, however I haven't been able to find a ship picture  (other than the Katana) that looks like it.

Ideas? Links? Help?

Thanks.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2006, 11:18:01 PM »
I cant believe this slipped under our noses.

http://www.thomasmodels.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=323&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

And New Force has it available for pre-order.

http://newforcecomics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=NFCC&Product_Code=tos1701&Category_Code=AASTC

Uhh Razor I hate to disappoint you, that guy may make incredible prototypes, but the toy companies never manufacture the mass production toy to that standard, the pictures Ive seen so far of the AA TOS Ent all show a mix up of the standard series model, the Cage model and very little detail and the wrong colour.

Id like to think its just one bad picture session, but given the disappointment of the Ent-E, how bad it really turned out to be, Im not going to be getting one of the 1701 myself.

Yeah Im already aware of that Chem.  I should have stated that before in the first post but I wasn't even aware it was available for pre-order.

Offline nixonshead

• Prolific Member
  • I am not a crook's head
    • View Profile
    • Nixon's Head
« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2006, 05:05:24 AM »
As for Star Trek 6 I think it was the fact that high ranking Federation personnel, who should have been upholding the values of the Federation, were not only helping plan a war but assasinating people to do it.

I had heard that a major element of VI that he didn't like was the racism shown by Cartwright et al in general and Kirk in particular.  It is almost the antithesis of Roddenberry's vision to have the hero baldly state of an entire race of people "Let them die!"  Of course he came around in the end, but it would have been hard to imagine Kirk advocating genocide by neglect before TUC came out.

Quote from: Liz

Insert Quote
Quote from: Stoo on October 18, 2006, 12:59:19 AM

"I'm sensing great happiness... And joy... And some perving..."  :D
Bilbo Bagshot: I once punched a guy out for saying that "Hawk the Slayer" was rubbish.
Tim Bisley: Good for you.
Bilbo Bagshot: Yeah, thanks. But that's not the point, Tim. The point is I was defending the fantasy genre with terminal intensity, when what I should have said was "Dad, you're right, but let's give Krull a try and we'll discuss it later."

Spaced

Offline Chemahkuu

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2006, 07:57:04 AM »
@Razor, thats ok I was just making sure.

@Nixon, yes the racism would have been a major element too, but given the racism against the Klingons we see in TOS, its not like it didnt exist before then.