Author Topic: Off Topic Discussion - Direct Ask & Answer  (Read 255695 times)

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
Re: Off Topic Discussion - Direct Ask & Answer
« Reply #1400 on: November 28, 2016, 03:12:31 PM »
His human name was Balthazar Edison. He was a Major by the time MACO was disbanded.

Seriously, if you skipped out on Into Darkness, this is the one to watch. For all of the references if nothing else.

Beyond is what ToS would have been like if it had a larger budget. The story, while not perfect, was amazing, and the way they mixed up the character pairings was interesting and kind of refreshing. I really liked Jayla, and I hope they bring her back in future films.

But the little references tossed in here and there were pretty cool. I think DS9 was the only series that didn't get a shout out.

That's a very good comparison, actually.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: November 30, 2016, 09:55:44 PM »
His human name was Balthazar Edison. He was a Major by the time MACO was disbanded.

Seriously, if you skipped out on Into Darkness, this is the one to watch. For all of the references if nothing else.

Beyond is what ToS would have been like if it had a larger budget. The story, while not perfect, was amazing, and the way they mixed up the character pairings was interesting and kind of refreshing. I really liked Jayla, and I hope they bring her back in future films.

But the little references tossed in here and there were pretty cool. I think DS9 was the only series that didn't get a shout out.

Thats a good point.  Though DS9 got a big one in STID.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: November 30, 2016, 10:02:43 PM »

What was the DS9 reference in STID?

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: November 30, 2016, 10:49:45 PM »

Khan was hiding in Kentha province. General martok was from the Kentha Lowlands.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: November 30, 2016, 10:58:31 PM »

Khan was hiding in Kentha province. General martok was from the Kentha Lowlands.

I completely missed that.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #1405 on: December 28, 2016, 05:04:30 AM »
Wasn't sure where to put this, but since I'm an administrator I can do pretty much whatever. Lol

Anyway, I got a couple cool Star Trek gifts for christmas so i thought id share.

Ok, so the first two pics are of a tos captain Kirk nutcracker..though the place where you'd put the nut is so small you'd only be able to crackers sunflower seeds. It's odd-looking right? To make things more interesting, it's stamped with and officially trademarked to CBS logo from 2008 and made in China.
I included two pics to show the nutcracker handle.

The third item is from a secret Santa exchange...it's a Playmates Klingon Attack Cruiser...in the original box, unopened. It's one of those playmate ships that has sound effects but the batteries have long since died and I'm not about to open nit room replace them...I just hope they haven't leaked due to age. My friend said he found it at a flea market for $20.

Not pictured, i also got an original custom drawing trek shirt of Kirk vs Picard. He's worn it apparently but knew how much I loved trek so gifted it to me which was nice of him.

I also got one of the first run Commander Sisko figures, still in the box. I have that one already but i opened it when I bought it cause in was a dumb lod and didn't know own what collecting was...so it's nice to have about extra to collect.

And it's not letting me upload pics from my phone. I'll have to fix that later...pics are coming.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: December 30, 2016, 12:10:40 AM »
The third item is from a secret Santa exchange...it's a Playmates Klingon Attack Cruiser...in the original box, unopened. It's one of those playmate ships that has sound effects but the batteries have long since died and I'm not about to open nit room replace them...I just hope they haven't leaked due to age. My friend said he found it at a flea market for $20.

In my opinion that is one of Playmates best ships.  The Detail they recreated was amazing.  And the light and sound effects are great.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #1407 on: December 30, 2016, 09:41:51 AM »
I never saw many of the Playmates ships in the stores, aside from the Enterprise-D. I saw every figure that came out, but never came across many of the ships. I think the last ones I got for Christmas were from First Contact. I had the Phoneix and the Borg Sphere. I think I still have the sphere...also had the tos Romulan bird of Prey but I think I sold it.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: December 30, 2016, 11:04:15 AM »
I used my Playmates Vor'cha as a study model when coming up with detailing for one of my Klingon ship drawings.  I've got quite a few of them and the worst has to be the Insurrection ENT-E.  It looks very little like the one in the movies.  Not a ship but the First Contact phaser is off too, the sounds are wrong and its blue.  The TNG Type-I phaser looks right, it's just 20 times larger than the one on the show (which is understandable given that they had to fit all the electronics into it) and makes wrong sounds.

I tried to change the battery cover on my Borg Sphere and jacked up the little screw so the batteries have never been changed, as far as I can tell they're not leaking (it still makes sounds too).  I think one of my shuttles (the one from TNG) had leaky batteries and quit working.  I'm still a little annoyed they never made a Defiant (AFAIK anyway).  I liked how the older toys came with little blueprints.
“The Elachi can send their entire fleet.  We will not fall.” – Ambassador Worf – Star Trek Online – “Sphere of Influence”

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: January 01, 2017, 02:04:45 AM »
I used my Playmates Vor'cha as a study model when coming up with detailing for one of my Klingon ship drawings.  I've got quite a few of them and the worst has to be the Insurrection ENT-E.  It looks very little like the one in the movies.  Not a ship but the First Contact phaser is off too, the sounds are wrong and its blue.  The TNG Type-I phaser looks right, it's just 20 times larger than the one on the show (which is understandable given that they had to fit all the electronics into it) and makes wrong sounds.

I tried to change the battery cover on my Borg Sphere and jacked up the little screw so the batteries have never been changed, as far as I can tell they're not leaking (it still makes sounds too).  I think one of my shuttles (the one from TNG) had leaky batteries and quit working.  I'm still a little annoyed they never made a Defiant (AFAIK anyway).  I liked how the older toys came with little blueprints.

The worst ship was the First Contact Enterprise-E it was based on early concept art and looks nothing like the finished ship.  And Playmates did make a Defiant.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1410 on: January 02, 2017, 01:02:03 AM »
The worst ship was the First Contact Enterprise-E it was based on early concept art and looks nothing like the finished ship.  And Playmates did make a Defiant.

I figured as much, considering the box for the Insurrection Ent-E said something about "design verified by Starfleet engineers".
“The Elachi can send their entire fleet.  We will not fall.” – Ambassador Worf – Star Trek Online – “Sphere of Influence”

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: January 02, 2017, 01:37:48 AM »

I figured as much, considering the box for the Insurrection Ent-E said something about "design verified by Starfleet engineers".

Yeah the Insurrection ship was an improvement but not by much.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: January 19, 2017, 10:10:25 PM »
The Excelsior crew is now down by one.

Miguel Ferrer, ‘Twin Peaks’ And ‘NCIS: LA’ Actor, Dead At 61
His cousin, George Clooney, paid tribute to the actor on Thursday.

Miguel Ferrer, an actor best known for his roles on television series like “Twin Peaks” and “NCIS: Los Angeles,” died after a battle with throat cancer on Thursday, according to Deadline. Ferrer was reportedly surrounded by friends and family at the time of his death. He was 61 years old.

Born into Hollywood royalty as the son of singer Rosemary Clooney and Academy Award winner José Ferrer, the actor was the first cousin to George Clooney.

Clooney released a statement on Ferrer’s death, saying, “Today history will mark giant changes in our world, and lost to most will be that on the same day Miguel Ferrer lost his battle to throat cancer. But not lost to his family. Miguel made the world brighter and funnier and his passing is felt so deeply in our family that events of the day, (monumental events), pale in comparison. We love you Miguel. We always will.”
In his younger years, Ferrer was initially drawn to music, accompanying his mother and Bing Crosby on tour, as well as playing the drums for Keith Moon’s “Two Sides of the Moon.”

But film and television would prove to be his true calling. Ferrer starred in a variety of television projects and movies throughout his 37-year career like “Magnum, P.I.,” “CHiPS” and “Cagney & Lacey,” as well as films like the 1987 sci-fi hit “Robocop,” “Heartbreaker,” and “Star Trek: III: The Search for Spock.”

He is perhaps best remembered for playing Dr. Garret Macy on “Crossing Jordan” and FBI agent Albert Rosenfield on “Twin Peaks.” Ferrer will appear in David Lynch’s revival of the beloved series, which premieres May 21 on Showtime.

Ferrer was also a successful voiceover actor, lending his talents to roles in movies like “Mulan,” “Rio 2,” “Robot Chicken” and more.

At the time of his death, the actor was a mainstay on CBS’ “NCIS: Los Angeles,” playing assistant director Owen Granger since the spinoff’s third season and becoming a regular in 2013.

“Today, ‘NCIS: Los Angeles’ lost a beloved family member,” showrunner R. Scott Gemmill said in a statement, according to TVLine. “Miguel was a man of tremendous talent who had a powerful dramatic presence on screen, a wicked sense of humor, and a huge heart. Our thoughts go out to his wife Lori, his sons [Lukas and Rafi], and his entire family. He will be greatly missed.”

Ferrer is survived by his wife, Lori, and sons Lukas and Rafi.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/miguel-ferrer-dead-dies_us_58813374e4b096b4a230b6ef?dgbaibhiw26v42t9

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: February 10, 2017, 05:21:21 PM »
Bringing up a discussion I started a year ago....

Has there ever been a statement on screen (or in tech manuals) about the range of personnel weapons in Trek?  I know the ship mounted phasers are supposed to have a range of 300,000 km or so, but I doubt the hand phasers would have anywhere near that much range.

...I'm watching BBC America reruning TOS: "Arena" and on Cestus III they state that the Gorn are 1,570 yards (1,435.608 m) away just before Redshirt #47 gets vaporized.  Since they never attempted to fire back with their hand phasers, we have to assume that they have less range than this (I'd say FLO's estimate of a couple hundred meters is probably a good one).  Other than the fact that they say the Gorn were using disruptors we don't know what exactly was used to vaporize the poor Redshirt.  So let's assume that the Gorn were using disruptor rifles of some sorts, this range of almost a kilometer and a half is close to the longest recorded distance of a sniper shot (using a .50 caliber rifle).  (I don't remember the distance record off hand, but I think it was at least a kilometer.)

So a phaser/disruptor rifle might have a range comparable to a .50 caliber sniper rifle, though it would need some kind of sight to be able to fire that distance with any accuracy.  Off hand the only sights we've seen on weapons were the Klingon assassin's rifle in TUC, MACO rifles, and various TNG-DS9-VOY era phaser rifles.  I don't remember seeing any sights on the various alien weapons.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: February 10, 2017, 05:52:26 PM »
What can I say? I know the tech.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: February 23, 2017, 04:38:49 PM »
So one of the missions in Star Trek Online has you participate in the Battle of Procyon V from ENT and you get to fly around the Enterprise-J.  Damn, she's got some spindly nacelles and pylons.  Seriously, the nacelles are basically just a bussard collector, a cylindrical blue glowy bit, and a really thin strip of metal on top...

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: February 28, 2017, 01:38:15 AM »
That was the idea Doug Drexler was going for.  Also the ship is supposed to be 2 miles long so they aren't as spindly as you might think.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: April 10, 2017, 05:08:22 AM »
Hey Bernd check it out one of my favorite youtubers mentioned EAS...and a subject we discussed to death 14 years ago but still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyg3tjZHmow&t=0s

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: Yesterday at 07:51:48 AM »
Came across this yesterday on Facebook.  Apparently a car insurance company went ahead and did these pictures of various trek ships as cars.

https://www.budgetdirect.com.au/blog/9-star-trek-ships-redesigned-cars.html

Im surprised at how easily Voyager turned into a car.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: Yesterday at 10:04:57 AM »
I think I like their take on the Warbird. However, I find their choices for both Enterprises featured to be odd.