Author Topic: Off Topic Discussion - Direct Ask & Answer  (Read 269960 times)

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
Re: Off Topic Discussion - Direct Ask & Answer
« Reply #1425 on: December 05, 2017, 10:43:03 AM »
Oh please let this be true.

https://trekmovie.com/2017/12/04/report-quentin-tarantino-teaming-up-with-jj-abrams-for-star-trek-story-pitch/

If he helps write and direct this could be really interesting.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Shik

• There's a million things I haven't done
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: December 05, 2017, 10:57:51 AM »
<Bit>NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO</Bit>

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: December 05, 2017, 03:16:48 PM »
... I hope he's willing to keep himself to a PG-13 level.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: December 05, 2017, 09:07:49 PM »
Considering he has taken world war 2 epics and westerns and did something interesting with them Im all in.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: December 07, 2017, 05:37:09 PM »

Apparently Paramount is allowing it to be R rated. Though I hope he's able to pull himself back some. Have a Trek version of Logan type thing.
https://deadline.com/2017/12/quentin-tarantino-star-trek-r-rating-mark-l-smith-the-revenant-drew-pearce-lindsay-beer-jj-abrams-1202222161/

On top of that it seems he wishes to expand on one of the classic Trek stories.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: December 07, 2017, 07:04:50 PM »
Star Trek Tarantino-style: I feel an episode quote seems appropriate for some reason.

Sisko: So I will learn to live with it... Because I can live with it... I can live with it... Computer - erase that entire personal log.

Offline Jon

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: December 07, 2017, 09:27:19 PM »
With Discovery being bold in it's content, it only makes sense that at least an R rated movie (or a very strong PG-13) Star Trek movie is the next step. I'm actually excited to see what comes of it. I love anything Tarantino's done.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: December 08, 2017, 10:50:22 PM »

Apparently Paramount is allowing it to be R rated. Though I hope he's able to pull himself back some. Have a Trek version of Logan type thing.
https://deadline.com/2017/12/quentin-tarantino-star-trek-r-rating-mark-l-smith-the-revenant-drew-pearce-lindsay-beer-jj-abrams-1202222161/

On top of that it seems he wishes to expand on one of the classic Trek stories.

Considering we got 2 of the best movies from that type of episode expansion Im all in.

I realize im biased here but damn this is exciting news.  Star wars has Ron Howard...we got Quentin Fucking Tarantino.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 10:51:54 PM by Razor »

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: December 09, 2017, 03:23:49 AM »
To be totally honest, I think they got the better deal here by virtue of the fact that Howard has experience with sci-fi. Tarantino, not so much. Though I will admit that at least Tarantino isn't as big a gamble as Baird was, so there is that.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: December 09, 2017, 10:46:11 PM »
What Sci Fi has Howard done?

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: December 10, 2017, 03:02:44 AM »
Let's see... Cocoon, Apollo 13 (granted it's based off of real events), The DaVici Code movies are borderline. You could probably fit EDtv in here too. The upcoming Solo, though he was a replacement. If you want to fit Fantasy in here then I could name Willow. Those are all more or less off the top of my head.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: December 11, 2017, 10:01:16 PM »
Meh of those I'd only include Cocoon and that barely qualifies.  I'll give him Willow as that has more of a Star Wars flavor.

More info.

https://www.trektoday.com/content/2017/12/more-on-the-tarantino-star-trek-film-pitch/

Thats a pretty solid list of writers.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 10:05:35 PM by Razor »