Author Topic: Transformers: The Movie Discussion Thread  (Read 226309 times)

Offline USS Mariner

• Absolutley Right™
    • View Profile
Transformers: The Movie Discussion Thread
« on: September 28, 2006, 04:43:53 PM »
More Than Meets The Eye!
I sure as hell hope so, anyway. So far, they all suck. ;)

This is Jazz' concept for the movie. As long as they keep the visor, it's okay (aside from the whole "ALIENZZ" helterskelter aesthetic.)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 08:23:32 AM by USS Mariner »
"Improve a mechanical device and you may double productivity. But improve man, you gain a thousandfold." - Khan Noonien Singh
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton

Offline Torlek

• Veteran Member
  • Burn it all down and start over.
    • View Profile
Re: Transformers: Teh Movie Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 04:49:26 PM »
Actually, he looks by far the best of the new concepts.  Although that's not saying much seeing the new Prime.
The battle of modern programming is one waged between the engineers trying to craft a bigger,better idiot-proof program and the universe trying to breed bigger, better idiots.  So far, the universe is winning.

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 05:16:19 PM »
Look, all I want to see is Prime go from Truck to Robot, whip out his gun, and go "Autobots! Roll Out!"

Then I will have faith.
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline Torlek

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 06:01:01 PM »
Well, they do get props for having Peter Cullen back as Prime.  But they still don't have a chance unless they also get Frank Welker to do Megatron.
The battle of modern programming is one waged between the engineers trying to craft a bigger,better idiot-proof program and the universe trying to breed bigger, better idiots.  So far, the universe is winning.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 01:05:33 AM »
Hmmm thats a pretty interesting design.  Though I actually have to disagree with Torlek and say that I liked the new Prime design.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 08:47:33 AM »
There's alot of doutb if that's really a Jazz concept.

But if it is, the head looks like a cross between Jazz and Shockwave. They kept the "breast-bot" look (where the front of the car becomes the chest).

But the one true concept we've seen Jazz had one antena sticking out the top of his head. It was a very blurry image, bu the antena could bee seen.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Darmok

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 01:27:55 PM »
Eh...the "Mars" in the trailer looks too much like Earth...

Offline USS Mariner

• Absolutley Right™
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 02:20:12 PM »
Mars ain't even in the movie. That was Bay being...Bay. ;)

Secondly, Mars does look like the California desert a lot of the time, the "Red Planet" is a lie from the 70's
"Improve a mechanical device and you may double productivity. But improve man, you gain a thousandfold." - Khan Noonien Singh
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton

Offline USS Mariner

• Absolutley Right™
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 02:21:08 PM »
There's alot of doutb if that's really a Jazz concept.

But if it is, the head looks like a cross between Jazz and Shockwave. They kept the "breast-bot" look (where the front of the car becomes the chest).

But the one true concept we've seen Jazz had one antena sticking out the top of his head. It was a very blurry image, bu the antena could bee seen.

I've seen that picture, the one with the cartboard cut out renders of the guys standing in a little stage (probably for planning the shots.)

Darmok

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 02:39:59 PM »
Mars ain't even in the movie. That was Bay being...Bay. ;)

Secondly, Mars does look like the California desert a lot of the time, the "Red Planet" is a lie from the 70's

That's good to hear. Yeah, I’ve seen plenty of pictures from Opportunity and Spirit; my issue wasn’t the color so much as the obvious signs of previous water; Mars doesn’t have surface cracks like that I don’t believe. But I’m glad that won’t be in the movie.

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2006, 02:49:31 PM »
Bleh, I just plain don't like the design aesthetic here. They don't feel like Transformers at all.

The Alternators range has proved that the traditional transformers style can be use to create decent-looking robots - why the complete change here?

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2006, 03:03:08 PM »
Because Hasbro, Don Murphy, and Michael Bay, wanted something different
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline USS Mariner

• Absolutley Right™
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2006, 08:32:33 PM »

Offline Rusty

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2006, 06:12:02 PM »
Eh...the "Mars" in the trailer looks too much like Earth...

It was too expensive to film on location.

I think a lot of fans are going to be put out by the remake, which is a quote you can pretty well put into any post about a remake and generally be correct, but hey, I'll watch it... when it comes to DVD.

Edmund: I remember Massingburg's most famous case, the case of the bloody knife. A man was found next to a murdured body, he had the knife in his hand, thirteen witnesses that seen him stab the victim, and when the police arrived he said, "I'm glad I killed the bastard." Massingbird not only got him off, but he got him knighted in the New Year's Honors list, and the relatives of the victim had to pay to have the blood washed out of his jacket.
Perkins: And he's a dab hand at the prosecution, Sir.
Edmund: Yes, well, look at Oscar Wilde.
Perkins: Oh, butch Oscar.
Edmund: Big, bearded, bonking, butch Oscar - the terror of the ladies. 114 illegitamate children, world heavyweight boxing champion, and author of the best-selling phamplet, "Why I Like To Do It With Girls". Massingbird had him sent down for being a woopsie.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2006, 10:14:30 PM »
They're not doing a live action G1 Transformers movie. It's no different then Takara and Hasbro doingRobots in Disguise, Headmaster, Armada, Energon, Cybertron, Beast Wars II, Beast Wars Neo, Victory, Zone, Supergod Masterforce, and the next series Heros (tenitive title), plus all the different versions portrayed in the comics.

It's just another take on the franchise, like the other dozen or so times they've  done since G1 went off the air. They are just using G1 character names. Hell most of the character names being used in the movie have been used a few times in different Transformers Universes for years.

Here's an example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Allops.jpg  These are all the Optimus Primes (Primals) that have been used since G1.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 12:31:58 AM by Xero »

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
Re: Transformers: The Movie Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2006, 12:25:10 AM »
^^^Good lord I knew there was allot of Transformer reboot stuff and the like but not that much!

I know that happens because of the way Japanese kids shows are done.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2006, 12:36:15 AM »
The comics are the same, there are several Transformers reboot comics. There's even a comic where the Transformers are in the 19th century. There's a GI Joe/ Transformers crossover that takes place in WW2. There's even one where the Autobots and Decepticons are Cobra vehicles (Optimus Prime is a H.I.S.S. Tank).

My avatar is Starscream from the comic Hearts of Steel
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 01:20:15 AM by Xero »

Offline BorgMan

• Global Moderator
  • Artistic Assimilator
    • View Profile
    • Visionm.nl
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2006, 05:29:02 AM »
I am so going to buy the Hearts of Steel omnibus when it comes out.

Prime as a HISS tank looked cool but all the other Autobots were HISS tanks too, they just let Prime look different (and red), but I heard that even Don Figuera had trouble with finding a trandformation sequence. I've got the WW2 alt-modes and robots lying on my HD at home somewhere, I'll post them later on the day...
*Doorbell Sound*

"Hi, I am Elder 14 of 37 and this is my traveling companion Sister 29 of 128. We represent the Borg..."
"Oh Roddenbery, you guys again? Look, it's 8 in the morning and I don't have time for you OK? I told you last week..."
"But... Assimilation... Holopamflet!"
"Yeah right, you can leave it here but I'll throw it on the rest of the bunch I got from your other 'brothers' and 'sisters'. Now scram before I call the 8472 Squad!"

Offline Torlek

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2006, 10:04:31 PM »
Hearts of Steel looked pretty pimp, and I seriously geeked out the first time I saw Prime as a HISS.

but all the other Autobots were HISS tanks too
Not true, some of them were Firebats.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2006, 10:33:03 PM »
What about Starscream as the Night Raven? That was pretty damn sweet to.

Offline Torlek

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2006, 10:49:37 PM »
I've personally not seen the comic, just some photos of it.  Wasn't Trailbreaker something different too?

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2006, 11:11:30 PM »

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2006, 01:11:28 PM »
http://www.seibertron.com/news/view.php?id=8657

Don Murphy Confirms Movie Megatron's head has Been Changed
Don Murphy Confirms Movie Megatron's head has Been Changed    Categories: Movie News, Rumors
Posted by: Alex Kingdom
Credit(s): Don Murphy, FreakNasty
View User Comments
Monday, October 16th, 2006 11:36AM CDT

In his traditional Sunday post the ever cordial Don Murphy has revealed that the head of Megatron from the forthcoming Transformers Movie, will not look like it did in the leaked concept images, and he credits us with making it happen!

I CAN tell you that Megs' head will not look like he did in the leaked pics. This was done solely because of the leader of Seibertron.com's delicate work on the process. He is so revered throughout fandom, Hollywood and the world that we decided to make the change. It was NOT because we were trying to make the fans happy. NO SIREE.

However you read his rather sarcastic post it does appear the changes were made for the sake of the fans, and possibly due to the largely negative fan reaction over the leaked Megatron images we saw a couple of months back.

http://www.d13satellite.com/donmurphy/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14972

Offline BorgMan

• Global Moderator
  • Artistic Assimilator
    • View Profile
    • Visionm.nl
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2006, 03:36:55 PM »
Yeah, I've read it, I don't care who he'll call the one that made the last push to keep Meg's head as it has always been, as long as it will be that way...
*Doorbell Sound*

"Hi, I am Elder 14 of 37 and this is my traveling companion Sister 29 of 128. We represent the Borg..."
"Oh Roddenbery, you guys again? Look, it's 8 in the morning and I don't have time for you OK? I told you last week..."
"But... Assimilation... Holopamflet!"
"Yeah right, you can leave it here but I'll throw it on the rest of the bunch I got from your other 'brothers' and 'sisters'. Now scram before I call the 8472 Squad!"

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2006, 04:01:40 PM »
I hope they base it more on G1 Galvatron's head's, cause he had a whole crown thing goning on that looked cool, but still preserves the bucket-head.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Galvatron_dw.JPG