Author Topic: Transformers: The Movie Discussion Thread  (Read 169254 times)

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
Re: Transformers: The Movie Discussion Thread
« Reply #1250 on: November 02, 2010, 10:16:02 PM »
See now I keep think of "Bark at the moon" by Ozzy Osbourne when I hear this title.
"Yes, yes, now that's what I like to hear. The indomitable spirit and righteous indignation of the human species. I've heard it a million times defending a billion atrocities, and it's still music to my ears." - The Devil, "Brimstone"

Offline Hobbes

• Veteran Member
  • Cinnamon! No!
    • View Profile
    • Federation Starship Datalink
« Reply #1251 on: November 05, 2010, 05:49:48 PM »
Read the title and really?  The first movie left so much promise and yet Bay is killing it.
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Federation Starship Datalink

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: December 08, 2010, 11:38:59 PM »
The teaser is up and ready.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=72173

But that bot at the end looks familiar.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
"Yes, yes, now that's what I like to hear. The indomitable spirit and righteous indignation of the human species. I've heard it a million times defending a billion atrocities, and it's still music to my ears." - The Devil, "Brimstone"

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: December 09, 2010, 12:49:50 AM »
Reminds me of the face of The Last Autobot.
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline Fiery Little One

• Eminent Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: December 09, 2010, 05:02:05 PM »
I had the thought yesterday that he might be someone like Alpha Trion, personally.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #1255 on: December 12, 2010, 05:42:50 PM »
Forgive the laziness, copy-pasting from my lj:

So I watched the opening 5-parter for the new transformers cartoon. Overall, better than I was expecting.

The CG animation I'm ambivalent about. I'm not sure it looks like over a decade's worth of advances over Beast Wars. But the only bit that bugs me is the plastic-looking faces. Oh and the transformers have no noses. Why make them so close to humanlike then miss that detail? The aesthetics otherwise are an odd mix of simplified bayformers and the stylised look of Animated. Which I can live with.

The human kids I was bracing myself for being the worst part (did we ever need kids to identify with when we were 9 and watching this kind of thing?). But mostly they're not too bad. And I thought there was a good balance between recognising the danger they're in (hello giant evil robots) and pointing out that all of earth is under threat, and they have a right to help save it.

As for the 'cons most of them come in the form of identical drones. Which I feared would mean "easily dispatched mooks", and it's true that in many fights they don't individually last long. But it does feel like the total con strength leaves the autobots outmatched, so there's still a feeling of credible threat.

Oh and we've got Cullen and Welker, ie the original Prime and Megs, doing voice work, which is cool. Also Jeffery "weyoun and about 56 other trek aliens" combs.

So far I don't know if this will match the Beast Era - which despite being another set of toy commercials, I felt really packed in emotion, drama and character development. But I'm happy to watch more and find out
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 05:48:15 PM by Stoo »

Offline Fiery Little One

• Eminent Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: December 12, 2010, 06:04:14 PM »
Prime: After 5 episodes, I felt it was very much up to par with Beast Wars as far as the writing goes. The animation... After getting used to Animated, itself, I've had no real problems with this one. I'm just glad it doesn't look as stylized as Beast Machines was.

DotM: I forgot to post this yesterday after I came back from the latest Narnia movie: There was a rumour floating around some time ago that they were having trouble with the 3D on the movie, Bay shot it down as fast as he could. Bay was right, they're not having any problems with it that way. I'm tempted to think the rumour was started by somebody who doesn't like the gimmick at all.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: January 24, 2011, 08:13:43 PM »
I wonder if they'll be able to get David Warner to play him.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Eminent Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: January 24, 2011, 08:48:50 PM »
I suppose it depends on how busy he is and if he's even interested in the part.

Offline Stoo

• Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #1261 on: January 25, 2011, 04:07:58 AM »
Another uninspiring cybertronian vehicle mode, but if he transforms at all he's got one up on the Fallen!

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: January 26, 2011, 02:11:21 AM »
If they do a leader class he might get an Earth mode.

Offline Oztrekkie

• View Profile
    • Life, The Universe, And Everything
« Reply #1263 on: February 07, 2011, 01:12:10 PM »
Read the title and really?  The first movie left so much promise and yet Bay is killing it.
They couldn't really call it "Dark side of the moon," then it would be a Pink Floyd album.
"bortaS bIr jablu'DI', reH QaQqu' nay' "
"Revenge is a dish best served cold"

Offline Broken Subspace Scene

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: April 28, 2011, 05:08:36 PM »
It's probably still going to be terrible, but the latest Transformers 3 trailer makes the film look interesting.  Looks like they're going more of an apocalyptic/invasion route.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Eminent Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: April 28, 2011, 07:39:32 PM »
Yeah, this one looks like they're crankin' things up a notch.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: April 28, 2011, 09:32:48 PM »
Looks interesting though it honestly looks like they're rehashing things from the last one.

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: April 28, 2011, 09:53:16 PM »
And the model still looks vapid. I've got nothing good to say there.
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: April 29, 2011, 01:15:21 AM »
Unlike the last one where Bay was only given 3 weeks to write the script, because of the writer's strike, and Paramount wanting the movie out "NOW!", this time they had time to go over things more.

I'm hoping this movie is awesome, since it's the last film in the series ( Atleast for Bay. He wants someone else to come along an do their own take on the franchise).

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: April 29, 2011, 08:45:05 AM »
^^^I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as the first movie was good.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Eminent Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: June 29, 2011, 06:24:38 PM »
Necro Time! :D

But seriously, left the movie a couple of hours ago... This one is probably the best one yet. It's not a cut and dry movie, but it's not a mess either.

FX were top notch. 3d was good overall. Story was very interesting. Nothing is exactly what it seems this time around. That said, G1 fans might find elements of this story familiar in a good way.

The new group of cast members were all good, some could have used more screen time, like Malkovich, but I wouldn't single anybody out for reducing their screen time. Rosie was a very good replacement for Megan, and this was her first acting gig from what I've read.

Offline Stoo

• Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #1271 on: July 01, 2011, 05:43:40 AM »
Since ages back I linked the Topless Robot faq for TF2, here's his take on TF3.

Is it as bad as Transformers 2?
No. Not even close.

Really? Does that mean it's good?
No. Not even close. But it's not a wretched cinematic atrocity against man and god, so I consider that an improvement.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: July 01, 2011, 11:31:24 AM »
So I take it DOTM is more like the first movie then?

Offline Fiery Little One

• Eminent Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: July 01, 2011, 03:52:38 PM »
I'd say, yes, but with a lot more going on.

Offline Broken Subspace Scene

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: July 02, 2011, 10:01:27 PM »
Wow, I really enjoyed that way more than I thought I would - mostly after the first hour, once the terrible human bullshit and toilet humor is largely out of the way.  Michael Bay has addressed some of the previous films' faults, but he still does think we give a shit about his cardboard caricature characters and deplorable "humor".

THE GOOD:
- 3D seemed decent. CGI and action were absolutely amazing. Blown away by the sheer scale and ambition of a number of sequences. Better yet, the robot fights, which in previous movies were just a whirring jumbled mess (not helped at all by the greebly character models) are slowed down, but not in a patronizing way.  It's much easier to track individual punches, leaps, etc., which means there are actually scenes the audience can follow! Yay!
- The Wreckers! Although I'm not sure the point of "disguising" yourself as a mutant death-NASCAR vehicle. The Autobots in general get a much needed dose of badassedness.  You want to cheer for them more because they don't seem like sissies. 
- The military is used much, much better. They still get to look cool, but Bay's obsession is less evident, and the humans work in tandem with Autobots to get results, instead of being super awesome and saving the day on their own.
- The Decepticons murder a lot of people pretty hardcore. More than ever, they are portrayed as a menace on a human scale, not just people who hunt for cubes or like blowing up monuments.
- Actors from Firefly getting work!

THE BAD:
- Every robot still must be an ethnic stereotype.  I GET IT, HE TALKS WITH A CARTOONISH ITALIAN ACCENT BECAUSE HE IS A FERRARI.  LULZ!!!1!
- Who the fuck cares about half these human characters and their lives?  Why are we still wasting time on this?
- 98% of the 'jokes' are awful, but probably pass with the teenage group.
- A bit of deus ex machina that didn't seem to make any sense whatsoever.

THE BAD (SPOILER EDITION):
- It made perfect sense logically, but it seemed weird to see noble Optimus Prime DECAPITATE MEGATRON THROUGH THE FUCKING FACE WITH AN AXE AND THEN MURDER SOMEONE PLEADING FOR HIS LIFE BY SHOOTING HIM WITH A GIANT FUCKING RIFLE. 
- Um, usually I'm not oversensitive about these things and no one 'died', but did the Space Shuttle getting blown up and falling back to the Earth in pieces seem rather unseemly to anyone else, considering the Challenger and Columbia disasters/imagery?