Author Topic: Transformers: The Movie Discussion Thread  (Read 226255 times)

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
Re: Transformers: Teh Movie Discussion Thread
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2006, 08:22:16 AM »
Thanks, MD. The link is fixed now.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2006, 08:56:04 AM »
^^^You know he's explained that quite a few times already.

"why is x different"
"because they wanted it to be different"

Not much of an explanation really.

Anyone seen those Renault ads with the transforming cars? The robots in those are similar to classic Transformers, and the designs work perfectly well in "realistic" cgi.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2006, 08:58:03 AM »
You mean the ones where the robots dance and skate? Where they use the car's skinny ass frame for legs, and the head looks like a Gobot's?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 08:59:46 AM by Xero »
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2006, 09:00:55 AM »
Yeah, those Renault commercials were awesome.

I also saw a fan-made CGI transformation of the same type of truck as Optimus Prime (except white and blue) transform into an Optimus Prime body and that looked perfectly normal and photorealistic, so it can't be that difficult.

(edit) Here it is:
http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/optimus-prime-cgi-animation
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 09:04:18 AM by Bond, James Bond »

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2006, 09:03:01 AM »
Where the fuck did the hands come from? And why did they colour it like Ultra Magnus?

Offline Cat-Nadian

• Board Legend
  • There is only Zuul
    • View Profile
    • Cat-Nadian Blog

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2006, 09:05:54 AM »
I hate that "ad" video, Prime looks like shit.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2006, 09:05:58 AM »
@ Xero:

Wait, you're up at arms about that but can accept the movie Optimus Prime (not to mention the other Transformers that are even worse) with about ten thousand greebles that come out of nowhere?

Offline Cat-Nadian

• Board Legend
  • There is only Zuul
    • View Profile
    • Cat-Nadian Blog
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2006, 09:09:47 AM »
I hate that "ad" video, Prime looks like shit.
Forget the aspect of the robot,just look at the video and laugh at what happen at the end :D

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2006, 09:12:17 AM »
I just always wondered where the hands came from in that video, it's just the toy in CG. 

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2006, 09:17:01 AM »
Didn't we already have this conversation before? Or maybe I had it over at TrekBBS.

But anyway the arm comes from above the wheel well and below the door and the hand was directly behind the headlight but folded up and around the wheel well so you couldn't see it from what I recall of the previous discussion.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2006, 09:17:51 AM »
I know where the arms come from, it's the Ultra Magnus toy in CG. The hands just seem to big to fit in the forearms.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2006, 02:15:35 AM »

"why is x different"

I didn't say it was a good explanation  ::).

I also saw a fan-made CGI transformation of the same type of truck as Optimus Prime (except white and blue) transform into an Optimus Prime body and that looked perfectly normal and photorealistic, so it can't be that difficult.

(edit) Here it is:
http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/optimus-prime-cgi-animation

Oh wow thats a fan made thing.  It looks great.  Well now it just seems as though Bay and Murphy are (Once again) full of shit!  I can sort of see their point but most people fell in love with the original Transformers thats what they want to see.  While I like the new Optimus Prime I cant help but look at that fan creation and think WTF!.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Peregrinus

• Curmudgeon-At-Large
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2006, 04:15:01 AM »
I think I'm smack in the middle of the target audience. I was ten when the Transformers debuted in America, and have been in love with them ever since. I've been able to understand that they use mass-shifing/subspace-pocket technology since the first season of the damn cartoon. I never had to ask where Prime's trailer went, or any of that crap. The most unfortunate aspect of this movie is that the original premise of these being alien and inorganic life forms has been ditched in favour of the original-original premise of transforming vehicles. This should be called Diaclone: The Movie.  :P ::)

--Jonah
"That's what I love about these high school girls -- I keep getting older, they stay the same age."
--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Offline BorgMan

• Global Moderator
  • Artistic Assimilator
    • View Profile
    • Visionm.nl
« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2006, 04:21:36 AM »
Guys, can someone PLEASE throw the pictures in this eBay auction onto Imageshack or so? My work's proxy denies me access to eBay so I cant see what kind of horrid things they did to Scorponok...
*Doorbell Sound*

"Hi, I am Elder 14 of 37 and this is my traveling companion Sister 29 of 128. We represent the Borg..."
"Oh Roddenbery, you guys again? Look, it's 8 in the morning and I don't have time for you OK? I told you last week..."
"But... Assimilation... Holopamflet!"
"Yeah right, you can leave it here but I'll throw it on the rest of the bunch I got from your other 'brothers' and 'sisters'. Now scram before I call the 8472 Squad!"

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2006, 08:16:48 AM »
I think I'm smack in the middle of the target audience. I was ten when the Transformers debuted in America, and have been in love with them ever since. I've been able to understand that they use mass-shifing/subspace-pocket technology since the first season of the damn cartoon. I never had to ask where Prime's trailer went, or any of that crap. The most unfortunate aspect of this movie is that the original premise of these being alien and inorganic life forms has been ditched in favour of the original-original premise of transforming vehicles. This should be called Diaclone: The Movie.  :P ::)

--Jonah

If you wanted Diaclone the Movie you take that CG video of Ultra Magnus and put a guy in the drivers seat. That's all it would take. These new designs are as far from Diaclone as you can get.

Offline Cat-Nadian

• Board Legend
  • There is only Zuul
    • View Profile
    • Cat-Nadian Blog
« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2006, 08:33:45 AM »
Guys, can someone PLEASE throw the pictures in this eBay auction onto Imageshack or so? My work's proxy denies me access to eBay so I cant see what kind of horrid things they did to Scorponok...
This one or all of them?
[img=http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/700/001sf8.th.jpg]
[img=http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/6253/002kf1.th.jpg]
[img=http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/2011/003fp4.th.jpg]
[img=http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/3046/004gd5.th.jpg]
[img=http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/8995/005fl6.th.jpg]

GREAT i take centuries to edit it and everything is fucked
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 09:17:56 AM by Maple Dog »

Offline BorgMan

• Global Moderator
  • Artistic Assimilator
    • View Profile
    • Visionm.nl
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2006, 08:41:03 AM »
all of 'em please :D
*Doorbell Sound*

"Hi, I am Elder 14 of 37 and this is my traveling companion Sister 29 of 128. We represent the Borg..."
"Oh Roddenbery, you guys again? Look, it's 8 in the morning and I don't have time for you OK? I told you last week..."
"Yeah right, you can leave it here but I'll throw it on the rest of the bunch I got from your other 'brothers' and 'sisters'. Now scram before I call the 8472 Squad!"

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2006, 08:43:41 AM »
That's the Basic Skorponok. It's just a flip-bot, the Deluxe version looks better. Rumor is there's also going to be a Voyager version, since the Voyager versions are normally  pretty big.

Offline BorgMan

• Global Moderator
  • Artistic Assimilator
    • View Profile
    • Visionm.nl
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2006, 09:32:08 AM »
He looks like a retard who got stuck in the washingmachine...
*Doorbell Sound*

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2006, 09:35:52 AM »
All Basics are like that. The Deluxe version will be more detailed, more complex transformation. You should see some of the Basics that have come out over the years, they had one Optimus Prime that looked like a drunk gorilla.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 09:41:43 AM by Xero »

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2006, 10:20:32 AM »

"why is x different"

I didn't say it was a good explanation  ::).

Hasbro has stated they wanted the designs to be different, and not the same old thing. ILM designed new robot modes, and both Hasbro and TakaraTomy is 100% behind them. Though I don't like the way a couple of the designs turned out (Starscream looks like a Transtech with Waspinator's head), I think the direction they are going is interesting. Making them more alien, and more inorganic.

If you don't like that explanation, to bad, cause that's the way it is.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2006, 10:44:38 AM »

Barricade

Has some Armada Wheeljack in that design, and even some classic Stunticon.

Offline Peregrinus

• Curmudgeon-At-Large
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2006, 02:19:35 PM »
The 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime is, IMNRHO, the best "non-mass-shifting" version of the Transformers I've ever seen. If they'd kept it at even that level for the movie I might have been okay with it. But these... It's like the whole 'bot falls apart into tiny pieces that then reassemble into a different form. Which is wank (yes, there's that word again). Anything can be made to look like anything else if you break it into small enough bits. My original Sideswipe (first TF I ever got), the car mode breaks into six chunks that then reconfigure into the robot mode. This new Bumblebee (boo on VW for not wanting their products in a "war movie") has a car mode that breaks into how many pieces? Not counting all the robot kibble on the inside?

--Jonah
"That's what I love about these high school girls -- I keep getting older, they stay the same age."
--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2006, 02:43:53 PM »
You've never seen Masterpiece Starscream have you? It's the best looking Transformer ever created.

How many real car parts did that Sideswipe have? The whole thing was a shell-bot. All G1 Transformers, and most toys since, have been shell-bots. Use can't use a toy that transformed but pulling the legs and arms out and folding the hood over, as a good example of what makes a good real looking transformation.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 02:58:34 PM by Xero »