Author Topic: Off Topic Discussion, Birthday, and Hello / Goodbye Thread  (Read 516785 times)

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
Off Topic Discussion, Birthday, and Hello / Goodbye Thread
« on: September 13, 2006, 11:40:39 AM »
This is the place to discuss issues between two members that would otherwise throw a discussion off topic. But I am setting a few groundrules first:

This is not a flameboard! It's also not a place for two or three people to monopolize with pointless banter.

If you come here to just insult eachother, then I or the other Mods will feel free to delete your post without warning. Furthermore, if this turns into another Joe Schmo hits John Doe over the head with a baseball bat jokey battle topic we will delete your posts.

Valid reasons to post in this topic:

* You would like to go into further detail about an issue that would throw a larger topic off on a tangent.

* You wish to tell someone POLITELY, that there behavior is insulting you or bothering you in some way.

* You want to say "Hi". Newbies obviously won't know to come here first so if they post a "Hi, I'm new here" topic, that's OK.

* To say it's your birthday.

* To say you're going away for a while.

* To complain about something or make a suggestion that would not otherwise fit in the Announcements Forum.

* Asking personal questions of a member (obviously nothing THAT personal though).

* Anything else that you would like to say, but use common sense. Don't post here just to flame someone or say something utterly pointless.

If you would like to discuss something with someone here just tell that person in the body of your post to come to "Off Topic Discussion". If they don't come here, just let it go. They may not want to go into the issue any further. Drop it. Don't keep telling them to come here over and over again.

Well, I hope this helps.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 11:44:59 AM by Jimi James »
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

fowlerbryan

Re: Off Topic Discussion, Birthday, and Hello / Goodbye Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 05:06:36 PM »
Well, we just wrapped up a big inspection out at the base, and our shop (Ammo) was one of the best! Woohoo! Not only do I get to keep my job, with the inspection over, I can get back to normal a little bit, the last few days have been kind of hellish...

Offline Chemahkuu

• Distinguished Member
  • Resident Insufferable Treknobabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 07:54:17 AM »
Congrats Fowler

Offline Manticore

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 07:35:55 PM »
Goddammit.

Recently, I asked my parents to send me some books as I'd already exhausted the reading material that I had brought with me to school.  They did, on the 16th IIRC, and it should have gotten here last Thursday.  It hasn't.

So I ask my mom if she has the package label, and she says that it's in the recycling, but she'll look for it.  I mention that I'll be annoyed if it's lost because it took me a while to get some of those books.  And then she reveals that she stuck my CD case (which I had forgotten when I left for home) in there as well.  I then say that if it's lost, I will not be annoyed, I will be pissed--not for the loss of the music, because any music I have on CD is now in my computer, and I hardly ever play CDs anymore, but because that CD case also had important CDs, like, y'know, my Windows boot up CD.  And my motherboard's driver CD.  I also mention, since I've had nothing but good experiences with UPS and Fedex while I've had several bad ones with USPS, that we use UPS or Fedex from here on out.  And then she says "If you're going to carry on about it like this, you can wait until you get home to get anything else."  And then she signed off.

Whosajiggawha?  I made a suggestion that I meant seriously, and while I was pretty POed, it was at the USPS, not her.  So I try calling home a few minutes later--something like 12 or 13 rings later, my dad picks up and reveals that my mom said that "she wasn't talking to me right now" and to try calling again tomorrow.

So let's see, my mom didn't see any need to save the only potential source for the tracking number, though luckily it hasn't been sent to the recycling center yet, *and* because I mentioned that switching to UPS or Fedex might be a good idea, she went all pyscho on me!

I wasn't pissed of at her then, but I am now.

Worst part is, I was making serious progress on a TBW outline too, but now I'm too POed to bother with that. >:(

ARGH.

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 07:43:51 PM »
USPS sucks.

Even with their so called tracking number, it will show that it was delivered.

However, as I've learned through trials and investigation, USPS website will show that it was delivered to the local Post Office, and will say it was delivered to the actual address it was intended to go to.

Having it go from the local Post Office to the actual delivery address is yet another step, and it won't show up in their tracking system.

You call them, give them the tracking number, and they say simply "It was delivered."

::)

With important stuff, use FedEx. or even the UPS.

USPS is good for delivering your mail, but that is about it.

They worth shit for packages and parcels.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 07:45:51 PM by DarkShinobi »

"You have always had a hard time finding your place in this world, haven't you? Never knowing your true worth? You can settle for less than an ordinary life. Now you feel like you were meant for something better? Something special?"    - Christopher Pike speaking to a young James T. Kirk

Offline Manticore

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 07:52:30 PM »
Don't tell that to me!  Tell that to her!

Offline Cat-Nadian

• Board Legend
  • There is only Zuul
    • View Profile
    • Cat-Nadian Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 07:55:23 PM »
Can you tell your mom it was at USPS you were pissed and not her?

Offline starhawk

• Veteran Member
  • I think too big.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 07:59:57 PM »
UPS? They drive the truck over it before they give it to you. Standard policy. Trust me. I used to be on a geek forum ([H]ard|Forum to be exact) and every couple weeks someone would post a picture of what once was a valuable peice of equipment until USPS or UPS ruined it. Never heard a thing about FedEx doing that, though...

And a friend of mine on there (don't recall his name; it's been a while) learned the hard way why you don't ship RAM through the USPS-- they x-ray absolutely everything and it fried the RAM stick. He lost money on that, too, IIRC.

As for your mother, Manty, I have had similar experiences with my parents. What I think happened (although I'm not her so I cannot be certain) is that she took it personally and/or feels guilty about it and got angry as a result. What works for me (usually) when dealing with such things is to explain as politely as possible that there was a misunderstanding, apologize for it, and explain what one really meant in the most clear of terms. I know it doesn't feel good to say that you're at fault when you aren't, but believe me it works wonders. I can't count how many scrapes that's fixed with my parents. The important thing is to reestablish communication with her and to be honest on both ends.

Hope that helps, and good luck to ye.
:p

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 08:13:08 PM »
Don't tell that to me!  Tell that to her!

Lord knows my parents are useless with e-mail. If my very life depended on one of them sending (or even getting) an e-mail, I'd be dead. Seriously.

:-\

Not sure if your mom is e-mail savvy, but you can FWD my statement to her, of course. Or relate my message to her verbally.

;D

"You have always had a hard time finding your place in this world, haven't you? Never knowing your true worth? You can settle for less than an ordinary life. Now you feel like you were meant for something better? Something special?"    - Christopher Pike speaking to a young James T. Kirk

Offline Kestra

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 08:15:56 PM »
Goddammit.

Recently, I asked my parents to send me some books as I'd already exhausted the reading material that I had brought with me to school.  They did, on the 16th IIRC, and it should have gotten here last Thursday.  It hasn't.

So I ask my mom if she has the package label, and she says that it's in the recycling, but she'll look for it.  I mention that I'll be annoyed if it's lost because it took me a while to get some of those books.  And then she reveals that she stuck my CD case (which I had forgotten when I left for home) in there as well.  I then say that if it's lost, I will not be annoyed, I will be pissed--not for the loss of the music, because any music I have on CD is now in my computer, and I hardly ever play CDs anymore, but because that CD case also had important CDs, like, y'know, my Windows boot up CD.  And my motherboard's driver CD.  I also mention, since I've had nothing but good experiences with UPS and Fedex while I've had several bad ones with USPS, that we use UPS or Fedex from here on out.  And then she says "If you're going to carry on about it like this, you can wait until you get home to get anything else."  And then she signed off.

Whosajiggawha?  I made a suggestion that I meant seriously, and while I was pretty POed, it was at the USPS, not her.  So I try calling home a few minutes later--something like 12 or 13 rings later, my dad picks up and reveals that my mom said that "she wasn't talking to me right now" and to try calling again tomorrow.

So let's see, my mom didn't see any need to save the only potential source for the tracking number, though luckily it hasn't been sent to the recycling center yet, *and* because I mentioned that switching to UPS or Fedex might be a good idea, she went all pyscho on me!

I wasn't pissed of at her then, but I am now.

Worst part is, I was making serious progress on a TBW outline too, but now I'm too POed to bother with that. >:(

ARGH.
Oh come on.  She was trying to do you a favor and all she got out of it was you ranting at her.  Even if you didn't directly accuse her of anything, it doesn't sound like it was a conversation she should be happy about.
... dancing in the night in the middle of June ...

Offline Manticore

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2006, 08:24:01 PM »
I was hardly ranting at her Kes.  My comments about being annoyed and POed were primarily jokes, but all I did really was ask a question and then make a suggestion.

Offline Kestra

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 10:13:25 PM »
^^^ I'm sure you'll sort things out.

And in other news .... Happy Birthday Blakers!!!   :)

Come to Chicago so we can party!
... dancing in the night in the middle of June ...

Offline Setekh

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2006, 10:18:53 PM »

And in other news .... Happy Birthday Blakers!!!   :)

Come to Chicago so we can party!

Party like it's mai birfday?

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 02:13:19 AM »
Here Set I got ya the first season of "Good Times" on DVD!
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2006, 03:27:20 AM »
Hi,

I just returned from a one-week vacation in Croatia without internet access (well, they do have internet in Croatia, just not anywhere near our hotel). Now everything I need is to get accustomed to the new forum.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2006, 04:12:43 AM »
Croatia? I dont mean to sound ignorant but why would you vacation in Croatia?
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2006, 04:52:14 AM »
1. Nice landscape
2. It's still warm in September but not too warm, and not crwoded any longer
3. Friendly people
4. Not too expensive

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2006, 05:40:34 AM »
Okay then I was just wondering...they got beaches?

Offline Manticore

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2006, 05:55:06 AM »
Happy birthday Blakers. :p

Offline Setekh

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2006, 10:29:24 AM »