Author Topic: Off Topic Discussion, Birthday, and Hello / Goodbye Thread  (Read 516789 times)

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
Re: Off Topic Discussion, Birthday, and Hello / Goodbye Thread
« Reply #3125 on: September 11, 2014, 01:32:35 PM »
Welcome to the club.  ;)  Happy Birthday!
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: September 11, 2014, 06:41:31 PM »
Happy birthday, Razor.
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: September 12, 2014, 01:01:25 AM »
Thank you gentlemen...though could any of you tell me when this urge to buy sensible pants will go away.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: April 05, 2015, 05:31:41 AM »
Happy First Contact day everyone! Celebrate by having some Cheese pierogies and listening to rock music.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Offline scott

• View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: April 05, 2015, 09:04:42 PM »
Happy First Contact day everyone! Celebrate by having some Cheese pierogies and listening to rock music.

Offline scott

• View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: April 20, 2015, 08:46:15 PM »
Happy Birthday! George Takei Turns 78 Today

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: September 02, 2015, 07:32:36 PM »
Happy Birthday Bernd!

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: December 22, 2015, 09:07:47 PM »
Have you guys ever ate something at lunch, then 10 hours later you still felt full? Or should I see a doctor?
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: December 22, 2015, 09:54:39 PM »
Sometimes when I'm really physically active, I won't get hungry until a while after I've been resting a while.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3134 on: December 25, 2015, 05:29:26 PM »
EDIT: Wrong thread
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3135 on: January 05, 2016, 05:08:38 AM »
Well earlier yesterday we said goodbye to my little dog Foxy.  She had been feeling ill and wasn't eating plus if my cousin is to be believed she could easily have been 16 or 17 years old.  My cousin asked us to take care of her about 12 years ago.  It was only supposed to be temporary but she became a member of the family.  Im reminded of the quote from "Skin of Evil"

"Death is that state in which one only exists in the memory of others; which is why it is not an end. No goodbyes, just good memories"

« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 05:10:21 AM by Razor »

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: January 05, 2016, 03:23:37 PM »
Sorry to hear that, man.  :(

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: January 06, 2016, 04:28:11 AM »
Thanks CX.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: February 08, 2016, 09:51:25 PM »
It's been six years since my last PC build, but the time as come to upgrade. But I have to buy it piece by piece over the next three months.

Just ordered my case
https://www.nzxt.com/products/phantom-410-white

End of March I'll pick up the Motherboard and RAM. April I'll get the cooler and PSU. The I'll pick up the CPU in May.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: February 14, 2016, 06:48:51 PM »
XOV PSU Calculator component list http://outervision.com/b/GmPBLC

Motherboard: Desktop
Socket: Socket LGA 1151
CPU: 1 x Intel Core i5-6500 3200 MHz Skylake-S
CPU Speed: 3200MHz
CPU Vcore: 1.2V
CPU Utilization: 90%
Memory: 4 x 8GB DDR4 Module
Video Card Set 1: 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980
Core Clock: 1126MHz
Memory Clock: 1750MHz
Storage: 1 x SSD
Storage: 1 x SATA 10,000 RPM
Liquid Cooling Kit: 1 x Corsair Hydro H105
Computer Utilization: 8 hours per day
Load Wattage: 333W
Recommended Wattage: 383W
Amperage: +3.3V: 9.0A, +5V: 9.0A, +12V: 25.0A
Recommended UPS Rating: 650VA
Generated by eXtreme PSU Calculator 2016-02-14 06:42:19.0

This is the computer I plan on putting together. Some things like the extra two RAM sticks, video card, SDD, and faster HDD will come later.

I'm re-using the PSU (650W), video card (R9 270X), and HDD (The same 450GB I've been sing for the past 8 years, but it's still holding up) out of this computer until I can get newer stuff. I just want to get this thing up and running as fast as possible.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 06:51:13 PM by Xero »

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: February 14, 2016, 07:02:25 PM »
Seems alright, but then I know more about running a computer than I know what goes into 'em.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: February 14, 2016, 11:20:51 PM »
After I get the new graphics card later this year, I think I'll save up for a new PSU, Windows 10, and a M.2 SSD.

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: February 15, 2016, 12:34:34 AM »
Already better than mine, though to be fair I built her back in 2011.  :)

You have a name for yours?

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: February 15, 2016, 01:26:16 AM »
Fred.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: February 17, 2016, 02:48:15 PM »
I just found out the fans that came with my case have blue lights built into them. So I've decided to go with a White, Blue, and Black theme.

It just happened that a model of mobo I was looking at had a variant with a white shroud and heatsink.

EDIT: Fixed the image link.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 02:56:54 PM by Xero »

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: February 17, 2016, 02:57:53 PM »
I'm a grumpy old man who snips the wires for all those lights and looks back fondly on the day when fans didn't come with that shit.

But yeah, that MoBo is pretty cool.  :D

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: February 17, 2016, 03:03:23 PM »
You should see the plans I have. I'm going to get a 500GB SSD for storage, then for a boot drive a 120GB or 240GB M.2 SSD.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 03:05:58 PM by Xero »

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: February 18, 2016, 05:07:30 AM »
I'm a grumpy old man who snips the wires for all those lights and looks back fondly on the day when fans didn't come with that shit.

But yeah, that MoBo is pretty cool.  :D

You're an old curmudgeon that's for sure. Please. join us in the 21st Century. We have so many cool things.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: February 18, 2016, 11:26:15 AM »
You know what grinds my gears?  People in the 19th century.  Why don't they get with the program?! It's called an automobile people! It's much faster than a horse!

Regarding your computer specs, I know RAM stands for Random Access Memory, other than that it might as well be in Cyrillic...
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: February 21, 2016, 12:48:48 PM »
You know what grinds my gears?  People in the 19th century.  Why don't they get with the program?! It's called an automobile people! It's much faster than a horse!

Regarding your computer specs, I know RAM stands for Random Access Memory, other than that it might as well be in Cyrillic...

Imagine my surprise to find out DDR4 RAM is a thing.