Author Topic: Off Topic Discussion, Birthday, and Hello / Goodbye Thread  (Read 519101 times)

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
Re: Off Topic Discussion, Birthday, and Hello / Goodbye Thread
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2006, 11:46:25 PM »
Well in that case...new sig since samhain is soon upon us.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Setekh

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2006, 07:52:49 PM »
I just got back from seeing Bill Nye give a talk.

It was really interesting and funny. He mostly talked about global warming and things. He also seemed really concerned about the current anti-science attitude that many people in this country have.

Offline Manticore

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2006, 07:57:28 PM »
Lucky bastard.  Ever since "The Science Guy" I've so wanted to hear him.

Though this enviousness isn't as bad as when I found out that Colin Mochrie (COLIN MOCHRIE!!!) and Brad Sherwood were at my school the year before I got here.  I fricken love Whose Line!

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2006, 08:08:56 PM »
I never thought you'd speak so reverently about a Canadian, Manti.
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline Manticore

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2006, 08:11:07 PM »
Let's see.

Nicki Clyne.
Nicole DeBoer.
Jewel Staite.

Granted, Colin is unique in that he's a Canadian guy.  But he's a damn funny Canadian guy.  So he gets a pass. ;)

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2006, 10:10:13 PM »
Aww man that sounds like it would have been cool to see.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Darmok

« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2006, 10:49:06 PM »
It was really interesting and funny. He mostly talked about global warming and things. He also seemed really concerned about the current anti-science attitude that many people in this country have.

Yeah, the anti-science attitude is getting kind of scary these days...

Offline Duranium Horse

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2006, 06:39:15 PM »
Testing...1...2...3...

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2006, 12:03:37 AM »
^^^It just speaks "truthiness". :)

Offline Setekh

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2006, 01:46:37 AM »
Testing my Halloween avatars!

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2006, 02:40:44 AM »
^^^Man Flagg is gonna be pissed you stole his character.

Offline Setekh

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2006, 01:16:24 PM »
That's Ultimate Venom, and it's just a mask. Plus, it's only one 1/4 of my avatars.   :P

Offline RedShirt

• Armed and suicidal
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2006, 03:04:26 PM »
Tell me, do they combine in a Power Rangers fashion to form a... Mega Avatar?  :o
I have selective reading.

"There is a certain logic to your logic."
~ Tuvok

"High speed and low IQ don't mix"
~Maple Dog

"Hey, then maybe we could hop in our VW bus and make sweet sweet free love whilst smoking some doobies and doing other 1967ey things."
~Bond, James Bond

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2006, 03:41:15 PM »
Testing my Halloween avatars!
Nice.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2006, 12:37:50 AM »
That's Ultimate Venom, and it's just a mask. Plus, it's only one 1/4 of my avatars.   :P

Ahh my mistake.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2006, 07:15:35 PM »
I have returned.  I ended up being gone longer then expected and as usual, fate has seen fit to dump on me again.  As it turns out, I have hyperthyroidism, which means the thyroid gland is working overtime and is producing too much thyroid hormone.  It explains why I've been so tired lately as it causes the muscles, including the heart, to work more then they need to. 

The good news is that it's treatable.  They'll likely deaden the gland and I'll have to take synthetic thyroid hormone from now on.  It's also good that they caught it now since it would have likely caused my heart to fail during the transplant operation. 

The bad news is that it temporarily disqualifies me for a liver transplant.  Until they can get it under control, which could take a few months, I'm sort of stalled or ineligible for a transplant.  So it's good and bad, and means more waiting.  AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, it's good to see that the move to the new forum finshed ok.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2006, 07:22:08 PM »
Its good to see you here Jimi! I know someone else with a similar thyroid problem, and it is indeed treatable.

You just take it easy!

"You have always had a hard time finding your place in this world, haven't you? Never knowing your true worth? You can settle for less than an ordinary life. Now you feel like you were meant for something better? Something special?"    - Christopher Pike speaking to a young James T. Kirk

Offline Manticore

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2006, 07:25:44 PM »
Honestly, I'm glad that you're disqualified now.  (...not quite what I mean...)  Imagine if you were qualified and no one had ever noticed the problem?  Or if you were still qualified and your "time" came up while you still had this problem?

That said...wow.  You really are God's toxic dumping ground aren't you?  What did you do to piss off the Almighty today? :P

Offline evilsmileyface12

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2006, 10:02:09 PM »
Welcomr back Jimi

and on another note my internet keeps going off line for a few hours a day....

*one more thing* does any one know of any free,GOOD forums???
ESF-12

Darmok

« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2006, 10:20:29 PM »
I have returned.  I ended up being gone longer then expected and as usual, fate has seen fit to dump on me again.  As it turns out, I have hyperthyroidism, which means the thyroid gland is working overtime and is producing too much thyroid hormone.  It explains why I've been so tired lately as it causes the muscles, including the heart, to work more then they need to. 

The good news is that it's treatable.  They'll likely deaden the gland and I'll have to take synthetic thyroid hormone from now on.  It's also good that they caught it now since it would have likely caused my heart to fail during the transplant operation. 

The bad news is that it temporarily disqualifies me for a liver transplant.  Until they can get it under control, which could take a few months, I'm sort of stalled or ineligible for a transplant.  So it's good and bad, and means more waiting.  AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It’s good to see you’re back. I didn’t know you had cirrhosis; I hope you will be able to obtain a transplant soon.

Luckily, depending on the cause, it’s easy to “cure” hyperthyroidism by causing hypothyroidism. And levothyroxine is relatively cheap (available in generic form), simple to take, and really has no side effects (provided it’s dosed properly).

Well, our thoughts are with you.

Offline Kestra

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2006, 10:45:56 PM »

Hugs!  Glad to have you back Jimi.  You should be able to get that thyroid issue under control fairly easily, as long as you're good about taking the meds.  Take care of yourself!
... dancing in the night in the middle of June ...

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2006, 12:24:15 AM »
That said...wow.  You really are God's toxic dumping ground aren't you?  What did you do to piss off the Almighty today? :P

He probably pissed God off by bringing Flagg all those babies to eat.  See Jimi I told ya Karma was gonna get back at you for that one Jimi.

Seriously welcome back and lets hope things go better for ya soon.

Offline Da Vinci

• Dutchman in Her Majesty's lands
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2006, 01:53:36 AM »
Welcome back Jimi! Manti's right, it's good they found this now, rather than during the operation. Hope your gland settles down fast, and you can get back on the list. Good to have you back! ;D
Godwin's law rephrased: reductio ad Hitlerum

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2006, 03:43:08 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I agree that it'll probably prove to be worth it in the long run, but it's aggravating to have yet another hurdle thrown down in my path.  Just once I'd like to hear the doctors say, “oh, that's our bad, there's no problem after all.  In fact it's going to be easier then we thought.”  Not with my luck though.  Oh, well.  Frak it.  Bring it on as I always say.  I should have died half a dozen times over so pile it on as deep as it'll go and I'll beat it like I've beaten everything else.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Manticore

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2006, 05:59:33 PM »
So I'm watching the Director's Cut of Pegasus, and in one of the new scenes, Gaeta said the little gem that is now my sig.  I can only assume it's an ad lib, but my God that's awesome. ;D