Author Topic: Upcoming Sci Fi, Horror, Fantasy news & previews  (Read 193964 times)

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
Upcoming Sci Fi, Horror, Fantasy news & previews
« on: September 29, 2006, 01:57:39 AM »
Another sticky from the old board...

If you have any announcements about upcoming scifi events, movies, cool websites, TV series, conventions, games, etc. that you don't feel warrant an entire topic nescessarily go ahead and post em' in this sticky topic. Thanks.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming Sci Fi, Horror, Fantasy news & previews
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 02:00:29 AM »
And to start...

http://www.superherohype.com/news/bladenews.php?id=4756

THEOcracy has picked up a post from Jill Wagner, who stated that Spike TV has cancelled Blade: The Series:

Just wanted to say thanks again to all of you who supported me and Blade the Series. I was just informed today that there will be NO 2nd season of Blade the Series. I really enjoyed playing Krista and i hope that i did her Justice at least for one season! However, that is not the end of Jill Wagner's acting career. I will keep you guys posted on what's next for me. Again i say thanks for the support. Hey, there is always the DVD right????

The series started off strong early in the season but lost viewers as it went on.

Shame I didn't get a chance to see it.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

fowlerbryan

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 08:14:04 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/09/29/film.ironman.reut/index.html

Tony Stark/Iron Man is......Robert Downing Jr.

Robert Downey, Jr. is suiting up to star in "Iron Man," a superhero movie based on the Marvel Comics character.

Jon Favreau is directing the Paramount Pictures release. Filming is slated to begin in February in Los Angeles.

Downey will portray Tony Stark, a billionaire industrialist and genius inventor who is kidnapped and forced to build a devastating weapon. Using his intelligence and ingenuity, Stark instead builds a high-tech suit of armor and escapes captivity. Upon his return to the U.S., he uncovers a plot with global implications and must don his armor and protect the world.

The comic debuted in the 1960s, and Iron Man's origin involved Stark being a prisoner of the Viet Cong. The movie version will be set in today's geopolitical climate.

Budgeted at more than $100 million, it marks the first feature film to be produced independently by Marvel Entertainment, which previously licensed its characters, such as "Spider-Man" and "X-Men," to other studios.

Marvel president of production Kevin Feige said the filmmakers looked for the best actor to embody the character.

"The Marvel characters are not just about how high they jump or how fast they fly, they're about their character flaws," Feige said. "They're about their inner demons. They're about the struggles that they go through between being a man and being a hero."

Downey, who has battled his fair share of inner demons, worked hard to get the role, getting in shape and even growing a goatee like the one Stark sports in the comic books.

"In every casting announcement we've done, people in their mind's eye have their own view of it and let us know about it. We're used to it," Feige said. "The point is, we looked at everybody, and we found the best person for the role. It's as confident a casting move as we've ever done. The proof will be in the pudding, but he is Tony Stark."

Downey returns to theaters on November 10 in the Diane Arbus bipic "Fur" opposite Nicole Kidman.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 10:41:23 AM »
It may work, but I'm not a fan of Downey at all.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline RedShirt

• Armed and suicidal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 12:19:55 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060921/tv_nm/brooks_dc_1

Space balls set to come back as a cartoon.

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) -
Mel Brooks is developing an animated TV series based on his comedy feature "Spaceballs."
ADVERTISEMENT

Like the 1987 movie, which parodied well-known science-fiction movies, "Spaceballs: The Animated Series" will spoof current blockbusters as well as every genre of entertainment from movies and reality TV to culture and politics.
I have selective reading.

"There is a certain logic to your logic."
~ Tuvok

"High speed and low IQ don't mix"
~Maple Dog

"Hey, then maybe we could hop in our VW bus and make sweet sweet free love whilst smoking some doobies and doing other 1967ey things."
~Bond, James Bond

Offline evilsmileyface12

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 10:28:22 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/09/29/film.ironman.reut/index.html

Tony Stark/Iron Man is......Robert Downing Jr.

I've been waiting for this but this sounds like shit...
ESF-12

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 12:50:18 AM »
It may work, but I'm not a fan of Downey at all.

Ironman itself never really interested me at all.  So does this mean that Ironman will be a cokehead along with having alcoholism?

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 11:07:29 AM »
They are dropping the alcoholic part altogether, apparently.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 12:42:51 AM »

Meh who cares anymore?

Offline RedShirt

• Armed and suicidal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 08:17:16 AM »

Meh who cares anymore?

I never cared in the first place.
I have selective reading.

"There is a certain logic to your logic."
~ Tuvok

"High speed and low IQ don't mix"
~Maple Dog

"Hey, then maybe we could hop in our VW bus and make sweet sweet free love whilst smoking some doobies and doing other 1967ey things."
~Bond, James Bond

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 10:14:50 PM »
Dark Night news.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/batmannews.php?id=4768

Christopher Nolan Talks The Dark Knight
Source: Stax
October 3, 2006

IGN FilmForce reports that Christopher Nolan talked about the Batman Begins sequel, The Dark Knight, at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood last night. Here's a clip:

When we asked if District Attorney Harvey Dent – a.k.a. Batman's future nemesis Two-Face – would indeed be in the film, Nolan replied, "I don't want to go into too many specifics. Yes, he is."

IGN caught up with Nolan as he was exiting the event and asked if Dent had been cast. "Not yet." Would that actor be an American, an Aussie or a Brit? "You'll see," Nolan promised.

Awesome this story is already sounding good.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2006, 12:38:01 PM »
This sounds promising. I have a feeling he'll have no more then a token part in this movie, though.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2006, 12:19:22 AM »
^^^I dont particularly see a reason for that.

.....would a mod please sticky this thread.

Offline Rusty

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2006, 05:28:55 PM »
I've been giddy for the sequel since the last minute of the Batman Begins. I have a hunch that Harvey Dent will be the main bad guy for the third, but his accident will occur in the Dark Knight. Also, I got this from Empire Magazine, re: Heath Ledger's The Joker.

THE JOKER'S OLD ULTRA VIOLENCE

Batman's new nemesis Heath Ledger has spoken to newspaper The Toronto Star about playing The Joker in Christopher Nolan's upcoming sequel, The Dark Knight. "It's obviously not going to be what Jack Nicholson did," he told the paper. "It's going to be more nuanced and dark and more along the lines of A Clockwork Orange. Which is, I think, what the comic book was after: less about his laugh and more about his eyes."

---

Also, not to get off topic, but in the same magazine I found something funny:

Kevin Smith: When asked "which movie didn't need a sequel?"
Reply: I didn't think Superman Returns was that necessary. The Dick Donner movie and the second one were so great.

Erm... is this a case of sour grapes?
Edmund: I remember Massingburg's most famous case, the case of the bloody knife. A man was found next to a murdured body, he had the knife in his hand, thirteen witnesses that seen him stab the victim, and when the police arrived he said, "I'm glad I killed the bastard." Massingbird not only got him off, but he got him knighted in the New Year's Honors list, and the relatives of the victim had to pay to have the blood washed out of his jacket.
Perkins: And he's a dab hand at the prosecution, Sir.
Edmund: Yes, well, look at Oscar Wilde.
Perkins: Oh, butch Oscar.
Edmund: Big, bearded, bonking, butch Oscar - the terror of the ladies. 114 illegitamate children, world heavyweight boxing champion, and author of the best-selling phamplet, "Why I Like To Do It With Girls". Massingbird had him sent down for being a woopsie.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2006, 12:42:55 AM »
^^^I doubt it John Peters pretty much ruined Smith's version of Superman from the start with his ridiculous ideas..

THE JOKER'S OLD ULTRA VIOLENCE

Batman's new nemesis Heath Ledger has spoken to newspaper The Toronto Star about playing The Joker in Christopher Nolan's upcoming sequel, The Dark Knight. "It's obviously not going to be what Jack Nicholson did," he told the paper. "It's going to be more nuanced and dark and more along the lines of A Clockwork Orange. Which is, I think, what the comic book was after: less about his laugh and more about his eyes."

Excellent news pretty good selling point on his part.  Without a doubt the less manic more controlling Joker is the best bet.  I wonder if they'll have Harley Quinn in this one.

Offline Rusty

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2006, 03:44:58 AM »
I've heard rumours to that effect, but again they are only rumours.

I can't wait for a psychopathic joker who doesn't want spread funny gas and make everyone grin and crazy. I want a deeply cerebral homocidal maniac who wants to inflict pain because he thinks its damned funny - and the more painful, the funnier.

And I have a feeling Heath might have it in him to pull it off, despite a lacklustre career. Can't fucking wait.
Edmund: I remember Massingburg's most famous case, the case of the bloody knife. A man was found next to a murdured body, he had the knife in his hand, thirteen witnesses that seen him stab the victim, and when the police arrived he said, "I'm glad I killed the bastard." Massingbird not only got him off, but he got him knighted in the New Year's Honors list, and the relatives of the victim had to pay to have the blood washed out of his jacket.
Perkins: And he's a dab hand at the prosecution, Sir.
Edmund: Yes, well, look at Oscar Wilde.
Perkins: Oh, butch Oscar.
Edmund: Big, bearded, bonking, butch Oscar - the terror of the ladies. 114 illegitamate children, world heavyweight boxing champion, and author of the best-selling phamplet, "Why I Like To Do It With Girls". Massingbird had him sent down for being a woopsie.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2006, 12:35:18 AM »
Spike TV filmed its scream awards today and announced its list of winners.

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/7385

WINNERS:

BEST HORROR MOVIE
THE DEVIL’S REJECTS

BEST FANTASY MOVIE
PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN: DEAD MAN’S CHEST

BEST TV SHOW
BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

BEST SUPERHERO
BRANDON ROUTH AS SUPERMAN, SUPERMAN RETURNS

BEST FEMALE SUPERHERO
JESSICA ALBA IN FANTASTIC FOUR

MOST MEMORABLE MUTILATION
THE EYE REMOVAL, HOSTEL

SCREAM QUEEN
KATE BECKINSALE AS SELENE, UNDERWORLD: EVOLUTION

MOST VILE VILLAIN
LESLIE EASTERBROOK, SID HAIG, BILL MOSELEY AND SHERI MOON ZOMBIE AS THE FIREFLY CLAN, THE DEVIL’S REJECTS

BREAKOUT PERFORMANCE
JENNIFER CARPENTER AS EMILY ROSE, THE EXORCISM OF EMILY ROSE

BEST COMIC BOOK
MARVEL ZOMBIES (MARVEL COMICS)

BEST INTERNET PARODY
SUPERMAN - HOW IT SHOULD HAVE ENDED

Im a little disapointed as I thought The Devil's Rejects was rather bland and corny.

Offline slash78

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2006, 04:39:56 PM »
Does anyone know if Torchwood going to be shown in the US?  The Doctor Who spin-off that deals with Torchwood and brings Captain Jack back to contemperary Cardiff.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2006, 12:37:11 AM »
Some rather interesting news.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=17080

Darabont Helming The Mist at Dimension
Source: Variety
October 19, 2006

Dimension Films will turn Stephen King novella "The Mist" into a horror film, which Frank Darabont (The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile) will direct from his own script, says Variety.

Thomas Jane is in talks to be part of the ensemble cast. A spring production start is in the works.

"It's a project Stephen King and I have been talking about doing for almost 20 years now," Darabont told the trade. "In fact, it almost was my first directing project many years ago, but I went classy and did 'The Shawshank Redemption' instead. It's time to get down and dirty and make a nasty little character-driven gut-punch horror movie."

Published in 1985 as part of King's short story collection "Skeleton Crew," "The Mist" takes place in a small town where a thick mist engulfs the area, killing those caught in its darkness. Terrified survivors seek refuge in a supermarket, while a swarm of murderous critters tries to get in.

Mmm sounds good.  Ive never read the novella so I'll have to catch it as it sounds pretty good.  Darabont is a great director so I look forward to this.  I just wonder how well he can handle horror.

I'll bet this dosent get nominated for an academy award though  ::).

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2006, 12:32:49 AM »
Master Replicas has put out an advertisement for their future line of Spider-man 3 statues.  And guess which famous villain got reveled early.

This page shows a closeup of the face.  I know it looks kinda funny but remember we don't see Venom with his mouth closed often.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 12:34:41 AM by Razor »

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2006, 11:51:41 AM »
Much coolness.  Thanks. 8)
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Glory to the Dominion

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2006, 01:50:47 PM »
I like the fading web effect on venom...a nice take on the character.

I just pray to god that the movie does him justice...I want big tongue and drooling!

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2006, 11:15:58 PM »
His tounge is hanging out in the first picture.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2006, 01:29:17 AM »
Oh muthafuckin shit

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/7555

Wednesday, November 1, 2006
Get more Bloody-Disgusting news

If the continued strong sales of Robert Kirkman’s The Walking Dead and the breakout success of Kirkman’s Marvel Zombies limited series are any indications, comic book fans love the flesh-eating undead. So while no one should be surprised there will be a 2007 follow-up to the bestselling Marvel limited series, exactly who the zombified Marvel icons will be trying to devour this time around is both surprising yet perfectly logical at the same time… His name is Ashley J. Williams… and here comes Marvel Zombies Vs. The Army of Darkness, a five-issue crossover limited series! Read on for details.   
US Army RAP

Newsarama writes:

Marvel Zombies Vs. The Army of Darkness is a five-issue crossover limited series (packaged by Dynamite, solicited by Marvel), co-published by Dynamite Entertainment/Marvel Comics and Marvel’s first multi-part inter-company crossover since 2003’s JLA/Avengers. Debuting in March, the smash-up of the Marvel Universe and the cult horror film franchise will be written by John Layman, with art by Fabiano Neves and June Chung, and covers by Marvel Zombies cover artist Arthur Suydam. Oh, and serving as a creative consultant on the project is the aforementioned foremost authority on the comic book undead – particularly Marvel’s - Robert Kirkman.

Spinning directly out of the closing pages of Dynamite’s December release Army of Darkness #13 (which will go on hiatus for the length of this in-continuity crossover), Marvel Zombies Vs. The Army of Darkness takes place before the Ultimate Fantastic Four introducing a zombified Marvel Universe - and takes place concurrently with Kirkman’s own upcoming prequel to his 2005 limited series.

“I've always been a big fan of Army of Darkness since I first bought it on VHS a long time ago and watched it every night before going to sleep during my senior year of high school,” Kirkman told Newsarama. “I think people are well aware of how much I love zombies... a love that also extends to the ‘Marvel’ variety. This is a very good story that John Layman has concocted and I'm anxious to see it all come together.

“I'm on hand to ensure that this story weaves in seamlessly with the Marvel Zombie's prequel one-shot I've written [May's 48-page Marvel Zombies: Dead Days, penciled by Sean Phillips, covers by Suydam], ensuring that this will be a cool read alongside that. I've advised John on what characters he could use, ones he couldn't, and where everyone is at this point in the time line. John has taken that ball and run with it …I expect it to be a slam-dunk.”

So with Kirkman’s hand helping guide the way, what does writer John Layman have planned..? A Marvel Universe-type story with the wildest of wild cards thrown in? Or something in the tone of the always over-the-top AoD with Marvel toys to chainsaw through?

“I have every intention of it being both,” said Layman.

“It is absolutely a Marvel Zombies story, and it is absolutely an Army of Darkness story. Fortunately, I think there is a lot of overlap, because they both contain a generous (even excessive) heaping of humor with horror, comedy with the grotesque. This is a story of a guy who is used to fighting the undead, who is used to being a hero, flung into a strange universe full of heroes …heroes who are not only all crazed flesh-eating zombies, but ones with hundreds of different crazy super-powers.

“How's a guy with a chainsaw, a shotgun, and a smart mouth supposed to survive that?”

That said, Layman told us it’s also a typical AoD story in that it shows Ash facing “impossible odds, and up against horrific adversaries”…

“But for Marvel Zombies fans, it's another look into the hilariously twisted world of man-eating zombie superheroes,” Layman explained, “shown from almost a Marvels-style man-on-the-street perspective as the infection spreads out of control. Only, in this case, the man-on-the-street happens to be Ashley J. Williams, vanquisher of the Necromonmicon's Army of Darkness, who defeated evil in several different millennia in several different realities. Now he's in the Marvel U. It's him and his chainsaw vs. hundred of zombie superheroes...

And Ash doesn't plan on taking any $#!+!”

Oh this is very kickass.  "Marvel Zombies" kicked unbelievable amounts of ass and well Ash is the man.    I cant wait for this to come out.  I just keep giggling at the thought of Ash battling a zombie spider-man.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2006, 12:41:08 AM »
Some "Diary of the Dead" news including the teaser.

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/7592

George A. Romero is currently in the process of shooting Diary of the Dead, his fifth zombie film, which is looking for release sometime next year. Today we've scored a look at the first teaser art, along with a few images from the film! The film will follow a group of college students shooting a horror movie in the woods who stumble upon a real zombie uprising. When the onslaught begins, they seize the moment as any good film students would, capturing the undead in a "cinema verite" style that causes more than the usual production headaches.

Looks pretty good so far though it has that slick look of "Land" that is a bit disconcerting as this is supposed to be more of a grimy movie.  I'm looking forward to it nontheless.