Author Topic: Upcoming Sci Fi, Horror, Fantasy news & previews  (Read 193926 times)

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming Sci Fi, Horror, Fantasy news & previews
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2006, 12:42:18 AM »
The Invisible

Sure, it looks like it's full of invisibility clinches, but for some reason it looks interesting
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2006, 04:47:32 AM »
http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2006-11-29-fantasticar_x.htm

Fantasticar flows off comics page onto film

The mileage is great, because it doesn't use any gasoline. And traffic isn't a problem, because it can zoom along at 30,000 feet.

About the only problem with the Fantasticar is, well, it doesn't exist — at least in real life. It will, however, make its long-awaited debut in Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, which gets its first look here.

The vehicle, a staple of the Fantastic Four comic books, ranks right up there with the Batmobile and Ghost Rider's flaming motorcycle as the wheels of choice among comic devotees.

But translating the flying car from the page to the big screen was no small effort, says Tim Flattery, conceptual artist for the Fantastic Four sequel, which hits screens June 15. He showed several designs to director Tim Story, including one based loosely on the Batmobile, which he designed for 1995's Batman Forever.

But Story rejected the designs as "too aggressive," Flattery says. "He wanted something that looked less like a predator and more friendly. That's always been the Fantastic Four theme."

That family-friendly tenor helped the original movie rake in $155 million domestically and $330 million worldwide.

Flattery looked for more tranquil inspiration from the sea. He based the final design on manta rays and stingrays. "They have a natural flow and grace. We wanted something that looked like it could glide as easily as they do."

Of course, stingrays don't have to haul 500 pounds of superhero on their backs. The Fantasticar is built to hold four crime fighters: Thing, Human Torch, Invisible Woman and Mr. Fantastic.

In the movie, the Fantasticar is powered by a proton accelerator, can hover, fly at 500 mph and break into separate flying machines. And while the 4,000-pound model doesn't move without the assistance of a crane or casters, it's still an impressive piece of space-age polymer.

Flattery worked 10 months designing and building the Fantasticar, which will enjoy a life after the movie in sequels and on the auto-show circuit.

"It was like Christmas morning when we first saw it," says Jessica Alba, who plays Sue Storm, aka Invisible Woman. "With all the dials and joysticks, we wanted to fly it. It's the ultimate toy."

For fans, though, it's something much more, says Fantastic Four producer Avi Arad.

"There aren't many vehicles that play a big part in the (comic) books," Arad says. "So you have to get it right. We wanted it to look futuristic, but plausible. For fans, the car can be as important as the characters."

Yeah somehow I doubt this thing will be as popular as the tumbler. *Squints at Jessica Alba in picture* Does she look kind of funny in that picture to any of you?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 04:49:26 AM by Razor »
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Waltzing Matilda

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2006, 06:31:15 AM »
That's pathetic. What sort of self-respecting superhero team rides around in a vehicle called the Fantasticar? Not to mention that The Thing is getting pushed out of the limelight by those other fools. Poor guy doesn't even get to be in the picture.
You sold us out, Clark. You gave them-the power-that should have been ours. Just like your parents taught you to. My parents taught me a different lesson...lying on this street-shaking in deep shock-dying for no reason at all-they showed me that the world only makes sense when you force it to.

Offline Rusty

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2006, 06:52:05 AM »
Pfft.

As if The Thing even needs the Fantastic Four.

He can successfully become a professional wrestler, cruise the talk show circuit, release an autobiography (and promote a subsequent movie adaptation), host his own Springer-esque show (to which every inter-marital conflict can be resolved by yelling "It's clobberin' time!"), have a brief dalliance with various supermodels, sponsor several sports drinks or body-building products (or Subway) and open his own restaurant... in one frickin' year, man!

And then there could be the Fantastic Four reunion...

It's all coming up Spades for The Thing! Booyah!
Edmund: I remember Massingburg's most famous case, the case of the bloody knife. A man was found next to a murdured body, he had the knife in his hand, thirteen witnesses that seen him stab the victim, and when the police arrived he said, "I'm glad I killed the bastard." Massingbird not only got him off, but he got him knighted in the New Year's Honors list, and the relatives of the victim had to pay to have the blood washed out of his jacket.
Perkins: And he's a dab hand at the prosecution, Sir.
Edmund: Yes, well, look at Oscar Wilde.
Perkins: Oh, butch Oscar.
Edmund: Big, bearded, bonking, butch Oscar - the terror of the ladies. 114 illegitamate children, world heavyweight boxing champion, and author of the best-selling phamplet, "Why I Like To Do It With Girls". Massingbird had him sent down for being a woopsie.

Offline Tombo_Mk2

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2006, 06:41:12 PM »
http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2006-11-29-fantasticar_x.htm

Yeah somehow I doubt this thing will be as popular as the tumbler. *Squints at Jessica Alba in picture* Does she look kind of funny in that picture to any of you?

Yep, it doesn't look much like her at all.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2006, 04:52:15 PM »
Possibility of a Justice League tv series set in the Smallville continuity?

Justice League to TV, Buffy to comics

By Colin Mahan
Published: December 7, 2006 at 12:14:00 PM

Buffy fans can feast on comic book version of eighth season; CW might bring DC super team to tube.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer lives! Just not on TV. But the success of Superman series Smallville may have paved the way for a spin-off featuring fellow DC Comics mainstays Justice League.

Comics Continuum reports that the League, which is featured in an expensive upcoming episode of the CW Superman series, will also be appearing in a second episode later in the season. Smallville producer Al Gough has denied that any League spin-off is in the works, but Continuum insists that a second episode featuring the team will act as a launching pad for a possible series.

Smallville spin-offs don't always come together as planned. After Aquaman became a hit guest star with Smallville viewers, an Aquaman pilot was put into production. As preseason hype built, Aquaman was shelved at the last minute for undisclosed reasons.

As League makes its way to the tube, a former genre hit is moving to the printed page. Joss Whedon is talking about the upcoming eighth season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which will make its debut as a Dark Horse comic book next March.

"I basically said, 'We could do something, and for once we could make it in the canon. We could make it officially what happened after the end of the show,'" Whedon told TV Guide this week. "Let Buffy not only address certain themes that slipped between the cracks of the show but also really be a comic book."

Whedon assures fans the story will be up to his exacting standards.

"I'll be writing the beginning, the first four, the last four, and I'll definitely be doing some others," he said. "I have a bunch of other writers--comic book heavies and former writers from the show--who are going to write the other issues. I'll be overseeing the whole thing, and they've all got my giant mission statement about what the giant arc is about."

Whedon says a comic book allows for a larger canvas that the financial constrictions of TV never did.

"With a comic, you have a mandate that you have to do it a little bit bigger. Buffy's just living on a bigger scale. It is a comic book, and it has to step up in terms of kind of being epic."

Sure, he said "No" but still doesn't mean it couldn't be done.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2006, 01:42:40 AM »
How in the hell do they think they can top the DCAU version of "Justice League and JLU".  Hell the whole Cadmus arc from the 4th season was some of the best stuff Ive seen on an animated series. 
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Offline Chemahkuu

• Distinguished Member
  • Resident Insufferable Treknobabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2006, 07:58:17 AM »
I'll still be picking up the Season 8 comics of Buffy when they start in the shops next year, should go nicely beside the DVD boxset.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2006, 09:16:11 AM »
How in the hell do they think they can top the DCAU version of "Justice League and JLU".  Hell the whole Cadmus arc from the 4th season was some of the best stuff Ive seen on an animated series. 

Plus, Justice League just wouldn't be the same without Superman and Batman.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2006, 01:02:18 AM »

Pretty much my thoughts.  Though some of JLU's best episodes were hardly Superman-centric.  Now correct me if Im wrong but on Smallville its "Green Arrow" who wants to start up the Justice League yet isn't he normally a "part-timer" like Batman?

Offline Stephanie

• Veteran Member
  • Princess of Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2006, 08:38:52 AM »
The Buffy comics should prove interesting as long as they don't let Marty Noxon near the franchise again ::) and please let Kennedy have died off in some brutal way between the show and the first comic...

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2006, 10:48:33 AM »

Pretty much my thoughts.  Though some of JLU's best episodes were hardly Superman-centric.  Now correct me if Im wrong but on Smallville its "Green Arrow" who wants to start up the Justice League yet isn't he normally a "part-timer" like Batman?
I think he is a part timer, I'm sure someone will correct us on that. But Smallville is it's own continuity, and I don't mind them mixing things up a bit.

Javert

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2006, 07:20:55 PM »
I think he is a part timer, I'm sure someone will correct us on that. But Smallville is it's own continuity, and I don't mind them mixing things up a bit.

He and Aquaman both made noises about starting the Justice League.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2006, 12:45:15 AM »

Yeah but I like the idea of Green Arrow being a reluctant outsider.  I mean hell he was ready to kill superman with a kryptonite arrow in "The Dark Knight Returns".

Offline Waltzing Matilda

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2006, 01:14:58 AM »
Considering how crappy Smallville has been for the past few years, I find it hard to have high hopes for any spin-off. Maybe if a different creative team was involved...

I mean hell he was ready to kill superman with a kryptonite arrow in "The Dark Knight Returns".

Yeah, but Supes had it coming after removing Green Arrow's arm and being a dick in general.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 01:24:39 AM by Waltzing Matilda »
You sold us out, Clark. You gave them-the power-that should have been ours. Just like your parents taught you to. My parents taught me a different lesson...lying on this street-shaking in deep shock-dying for no reason at all-they showed me that the world only makes sense when you force it to.

Offline mark

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2006, 01:18:09 AM »
I personally wouldn't mind if the Justice League spin-off fell through the cracks. The preview of the JL episode of Smallville looked gimmicky as hell. Maybe since they've introduced the Martian Manhunter they think they can use him to fill Superman's shoes, while Green Arrow as a core member instead of an outisder could sort of fill Batman's shoes. But... what about Wonder Woman and Green Lantern?

To be honest, I'd like a a stand-alone Green Lantern series. And not one of those Dawson Creek incarnations either, but someone who's 30-40 as the main character. Maybe that age character would force writers and directors to use more sophisticated characterization and more sophisticated execution of stories as opposed to the nearly-shallow Smallville.
"Even if a hundred percent of the people polled like f%#&ing Hobbit movies, they still suck." --Penn Jillette

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2006, 01:30:01 AM »
Tell you the truth, I like this incarnation of the Green Arrow. They should spin him off into his own series, since we all know he's a much cooler character then Aquaman.

Speaking of Aquaman, the pilot episode available on VOD here, so I rented it. The only good thing I can say about it, is that it was bad. I can see why they decided not to give a go ahead for the series.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2006, 02:02:57 AM »
Steve Niles posted the first official pic from "30 Days of Night" on his blog today.

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=46768990&blogID=202396505&MyToken=2534d395-2dfb-48dd-8a58-b389b99daace

Not too shabby looking.  Though Stella should have strawberry blonde/ reddish hair.  Billy Kitka was a minor character in the book but his brother returns in "Return to Barrow".

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2006, 08:52:12 AM »
Here are the extended and more gruesome versions of the ED-209 shooting scene and the Murphy death scene from the "Robocop Criterion Edition":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_EQ5IVNPnQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBuBBEVD_Ug

Pretty friggin' brutal.

Offline Waltzing Matilda

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2006, 05:57:52 PM »
Nice! That bit with the ED-209 freaked me out when I was a kid. But it was pretty cool seeing Murphy's hand blown off like that.

Offline Cat-Nadian

• Board Legend
  • There is only Zuul
    • View Profile
    • Cat-Nadian Blog
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2006, 11:46:29 PM »
I remembered the hand,but its the first time i see his arm blown off

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2006, 01:31:56 AM »
Sony released a new picture from both Spider-man 3 and "30 days of Night" today.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/spider-mannews.php?id=5009

The spider-man picture is unremarkable but the pic from "30 Days of night" gives us a look at the vampires. 

No real detail is visible but they still look pretty creepy.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2006, 02:06:19 AM »
^^^ Does that pic look off to anyone else? It looks like the vampires were photoshopped into the picture or something.

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2006, 02:50:20 AM »
Why are they even making a movie based on '30 Days of Night' anyway? The damned thing was shallow to the point of stupidity, and there is barely enough content to fill 45 minutes of screen time, if that. The artwork was beyond great, but other than that, it's the most overblown piece of crap since 'Titanic'.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2006, 03:09:34 AM »
^^^ Does that pic look off to anyone else? It looks like the vampires were photoshopped into the picture or something.

You know now that you mention it there is something funny looking there.