Author Topic: Upcoming Sci Fi, Horror, Fantasy news & previews  (Read 193925 times)

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming Sci Fi, Horror, Fantasy news & previews
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2006, 03:28:24 AM »
Why are they even making a movie based on '30 Days of Night' anyway? The damned thing was shallow to the point of stupidity, and there is barely enough content to fill 45 minutes of screen time, if that. The artwork was beyond great, but other than that, it's the most overblown piece of crap since 'Titanic'.

While I'll agree that I might not have liked it as much if Ben Templesmith had not done the artwork Ive gotta say I enjoyed it.  I thought it had a cool concept and a nifty (if short) story.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2006, 03:43:10 AM »
Why are they even making a movie based on '30 Days of Night' anyway? The damned thing was shallow to the point of stupidity, and there is barely enough content to fill 45 minutes of screen time, if that. The artwork was beyond great, but other than that, it's the most overblown piece of crap since 'Titanic'.

While I'll agree that I might not have liked it as much if Ben Templesmith had not done the artwork Ive gotta say I enjoyed it.  I thought it had a cool concept and a nifty (if short) story.

Yeah, the concept was great. It was the shallowness of the whole thing that made me not enjoy it. It had no particularly memorable characters, mainly because there was no detail to the story at all. It can literally be summed up in about 3 sentences.

Offline Chemahkuu

• Distinguished Member
  • Resident Insufferable Treknobabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2006, 01:08:42 PM »
The scale is off and the lighting doesnt quite match.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2006, 03:06:36 PM »
Also, the shadows at the feet of the vampires is too fuzzy, compared to the shadows at the feet of the guy who's running from them.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2006, 01:01:58 AM »
That's because one is in focus, and the others are not.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2006, 03:25:57 AM »
No, it's more than that. The vampires are in focus as well, but scaled incorrectly and with a halo around them. It's clearly a composite image of some sort.

Not that it matters or anything, but it just struck me as odd looking.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2006, 02:36:11 AM »
^^^Nothing wrong with that as it is rather odd looking.  I hope we get a close up shot soon as David Slade has stated that they're making the vampires look similar to the way Ben Templesmith drew them which can only be a good thing.

“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2006, 02:12:32 AM »
2 things...

1. The Silver Surfer reveiled.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/fantasticfournews.php?id=5040

2. The trailer for Grind House is online...looks badass.

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/grindhouse.html;_ylt=AlRmke0vIlFNubGE1xViRfRfVXcA

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2007, 08:26:19 AM »
Some concept art for Dr. Doom in FF2: Rise of the Silver Surfer, and for Green Goblin II and Venom in Spider-Man III:

http://www.joblo.com/doom-goblin-venom

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2007, 08:29:26 AM »
From the same site:

Don't expect to find out what Joel Seigel, Leonard Maltin or Gene Shalit think about GHOST RIDER prior to its opening - the comic book flick won't be screening for critics. This has been an increasingly used practice in recent years as studios look to diminsh the impact of poor word of mouth by eliminating critics screenings. Normally, however, this is reserved for low-budget, horror or comedy flicks like BLACK CHRISTMAS or EPIC MOVIE. While there aren't official stats on things like this, GHOST RIDER could very well be the most expensive film ever made that hasn't been screened for critics. Sony is happy with the way GHOST RIDER is tracking and is expected an opening in the mid-$30 million range. What they're assuming will be blanket negative reviews would only hurt their opening so I can't say I blame them for the decision but this can't be much of an ego boost for Nicolas Cage or director Mark Steven Johnson. It would be nice to think the studio has some kind of faith in the quality of your film...

That doesn't sound good.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2007, 09:52:51 AM »
Great marketing

"People will say really bad things about this movie, so we are not going to preview it to critics. Now get me a news source so I can tell them exactly that!"
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Mirror Fury

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2007, 01:19:29 PM »
From the same site:

Don't expect to find out what Joel Seigel, Leonard Maltin or Gene Shalit think about GHOST RIDER prior to its opening - the comic book flick won't be screening for critics. This has been an increasingly used practice in recent years as studios look to diminsh the impact of poor word of mouth by eliminating critics screenings. Normally, however, this is reserved for low-budget, horror or comedy flicks like BLACK CHRISTMAS or EPIC MOVIE. While there aren't official stats on things like this, GHOST RIDER could very well be the most expensive film ever made that hasn't been screened for critics. Sony is happy with the way GHOST RIDER is tracking and is expected an opening in the mid-$30 million range. What they're assuming will be blanket negative reviews would only hurt their opening so I can't say I blame them for the decision but this can't be much of an ego boost for Nicolas Cage or director Mark Steven Johnson. It would be nice to think the studio has some kind of faith in the quality of your film...

That doesn't sound good.

Comingsoon.net gave it a 8 out of 10, saying it's quite faithful to the comic. but that Eva Mendes' character acting doesnt make you care about her.
"I wish you could've seen the looks on your faces. Oh wait you can *flash, mirror appears*" -Q

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2007, 11:40:06 PM »
^^^Saw that the other day.  Nice trailer but Im not expecting all that much.  The one positive thing is that Tyrant is supposed to be in this movie.

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2007, 02:06:22 PM »
New TV spot for "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer". I guess, contrary to what we've heard so far, Galactus is making an appearance. Why no Dr. Doom, then?

EDIT: Forgot the link.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 02:10:07 PM by The Daft Punk »
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2007, 07:01:32 PM »
Trailer for Resident Evil: Extinction

I don't know wat to make of that but its nice to finally see somewhere other than Raccoon City get screwed by Umbrella.

^^^Saw that the other day.  Nice trailer but Im not expecting all that much.  The one positive thing is that Tyrant is supposed to be in this movie.

Which Tyrant?  The orignal, the one from 2, Thanatos-R from Outbreak, the thing from that awful Survivor game, the prototype from Zero?
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2007, 01:58:00 AM »
^^^Im not sure...matter of fact Ive later found out that its only a rumor. Its only mentioned

"fans of the series will be pretty damn happy with a new boss monster that's going to rear its ugly head in the film"

I'd prefer the original T-002 Tyrant.  Im a bit more optimistic as Russell Mulchahey is directing this as opposed to Anderson or the clown who directed the last one though sadly Anderson wrote it  ???

Oh and Wesker makes an appearance as well  8) .

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/2168/img2124vl3.jpg   

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2007, 07:59:07 AM »
Ooo. Wesker!  Wonder if they're going to have him all Matrix-like the way he was in Code Veronica.  8)

"fans of the series will be pretty damn happy with a new boss monster that's going to rear its ugly head in the film"

Taking that way too litterally: maybe they're making up a new monster that's not from the games for the movie?  :o :o :o

EDIT: Added smileys
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 10:13:54 PM by TNC »
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2007, 02:40:04 AM »
Don't know if anyone is interested in this, but here are a couple of the rejected scripts for "Alien3" before the David Fincher version came along. One is by William Gibson of cyberpunk novel fame and another is by John Fasano & Vincent Ward. Interesting reading, though I didn't like either of them or the movie we actually got.

http://home.online.no/~bhundlan/scripts/alien3/gibson.htm

http://www.scifiscripts.com/scripts/alien3_fasano.txt

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2007, 11:30:55 AM »
Anyone watch Painkiller Jane?  If not then don't worry, you didn't miss much.  The dialogue was rough and unoriginal, the action scenes were novice at best, the story is far from interesting, and as of yet there is no great desire to feel any sort of connection towards any of the characters.  Kristana Loken seems to be stuck in her Terminator role, delivering her lines as emotionless as a robot. 

The basis is that there are a group of individuals called Neruo's who all have some sort of genetic anomaly that has given them all special abilities.  The Neruo from last nights episode had the ability to influence a persons thoughts, basically making anyone in close proximity to them, highly susceptible to suggestion and easily controllable.

Jane Vasko, the title character is an undercover agent attempting to infiltrate a drug organization, who apparently is indestructible and has the ability to heal remarkably fast.  Think Wolverine, but not as interesting.  Through, various strained circumstances, she comes into contact with the ultra-secret government team whose job it is to hunt down the Neruo's and detain them.  Jane eventually joins the team and is put on the task of apprehending the mind controlling Neruo.  She falls victim to her influence and is quickly thrown/pushed/order to jump from a 40 story window.  Surviving the fall after being thought dead, she shows back up alive as another agent (her partner from her previous undercover assignment) is sent in to apprehend the Neruo.

The episode continues to go down hill rather predictably and I honestly can't really remember what happened after that.  So that may given you some idea of just how bad of an ending the show had.

Interestingly, the sci-fi channel made a move back in 2005 of the same name which was quite different from this series and as I understand it took many liberties from the source material (Jane was in the army and had been exposed to some type of biological agent which caused her to gain the quick healing ability) which I found to be far better.  The two are not directly related.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline RedShirt

• Armed and suicidal
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2007, 12:47:14 PM »
It doesn't sound like something I'll be following closely.
I have selective reading.

"There is a certain logic to your logic."
~ Tuvok

"High speed and low IQ don't mix"
~Maple Dog

"Hey, then maybe we could hop in our VW bus and make sweet sweet free love whilst smoking some doobies and doing other 1967ey things."
~Bond, James Bond

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2007, 05:22:29 PM »
Some news about the upcoming Babyon 5 movie, The Lost Tales.

Cover art:  http://trekweb.com/articles/2007/04/23/Cover-Artwork-and-Info-for-Babylon.shtml

$24 dollars?  That seems a little steep, particularly for a 75 minute film with only one bonus feature.

Interview with Bruce Boxleitner:  http://trekweb.com/stbbs/showThread.php?bid=FldwoPP0qETo2&tid=462a3d951a230&cid=462a3d951f051&viewby=&sort=&order=#462a3d951f051

The interview with BB is good.  I can't wait to see how they update the visual FX and hope we get to see some updated Omega class destroyers and some updated Whitestars.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 05:24:38 PM by Jimi James »
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2007, 05:26:59 PM »
Ooo. Galen's back.  ;D  If I see some good reviews I'll buy it.  It's been years since I've seen any B5.

Rigil Kent

« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2007, 05:34:43 PM »
Ooo. Galen's back.  ;D 
Easily the best part of Crusade.  If I could have a straight-guy crush on Peter Woodward's voice, I would.   ;)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 05:36:54 PM by Rigil Kent »

Offline GStone

• Veteran Member
  • Undercover in Culture space
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2007, 06:40:39 PM »
Jane Vasko, the title character is an undercover agent attempting to infiltrate a drug organization, who apparently is indestructible and has the ability to heal remarkably fast.  Think Wolverine, but not as interesting.  Through, various strained circumstances, she comes into contact with the ultra-secret government team whose job it is to hunt down the Neruo's and detain them.  Jane eventually joins the team and is put on the task of apprehending the mind controlling Neruo.  She falls victim to her influence and is quickly thrown/pushed/order to jump from a 40 story window.  Surviving the fall after being thought dead, she shows back up alive as another agent (her partner from her previous undercover assignment) is sent in to apprehend the Neruo.

The episode continues to go down hill rather predictably and I honestly can't really remember what happened after that.  So that may given you some idea of just how bad of an ending the show had.

Interestingly, the sci-fi channel made a move back in 2005 of the same name which was quite different from this series and as I understand it took many liberties from the source material (Jane was in the army and had been exposed to some type of biological agent which caused her to gain the quick healing ability) which I found to be far better.  The two are not directly related.

This sounds like Resident Evil 2, which is a lot better than this review.
Leader of the Pro-Trek/Anti-The Culture movement

'Attack of the Clones: For some reason I can make it to Anakin's cringe-worthy lovey-dovey lines on Naboo, but I can't get to the choice bits with ..you know...the actual Attack of the Clones. As far as I know, the movie should have been called "Episode II: I Hate Sand." '

--Dark Moose