Author Topic: The Review Thread--No Games, Movies, or TV  (Read 53521 times)

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
Re: The Review Thread--No Games, Movies, or TV
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2007, 06:53:33 AM »
*Prattles fingers* Ahh yes Death's sweet embrace.

On a side note I also purchased "The Talisman" by Stephen King and Peter Straub.  So I have that to look forward too.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Charles

• Loves Lucy
    • View Profile
    • The Caveman's Corner
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2007, 03:31:45 PM »
That and dam all the rivers that empty into the Med. Envornmentally and ecologically it's completely insane, and I don't know that it's even possible from an engineering standpoint, but we should still do it.

Like the Messinian Salinity Crisis! I just had to note that.

As for good books, I would really recommend to anyone Craig Stanford's The Hunting Apes. Even if you don't agree with his thesis (as I didn't), the book is an intellectual feast with a lot of ideas and perspectives on human evolution I had never considered before. Stanford writes quite deftly, too, which makes the book read really easily. I finished it in a weekend the first time.

His basic premise is that the strategic sharing of meat by early hominids led to human cognitive evolution, and he walks through a lot of the older models as well as his own primatological research in the process of making his point.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 04:24:51 PM by Charles »
The only good cat is a Schrödinger's Cat.

Offline Broken Subspace Scene

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2007, 08:19:04 AM »
A couple of recent album reviews while I procrastinate studying...

The Shins - Wincing The Night Away

After hearing so much positive press about this band, I decided to give them a try, picking up this album along with a few tracks from Oh, Inverted World and Chutes Too Narrow off iTunes.  While this is a good album, I'm still left wondering why The Shins are such critical darlings.

The vocals are pretty good--entirely suitable, but fairly typical--and the instrumentals are fine as well, but several of the hooks feel underpowered.  Some of the guitar work felt a little "same"-y after awhile.  Nonetheless, it's still a good album, and perhaps I fell victim to high expectations and my musical nationalism of late.  I enjoyed "Sea Legs", "Phantom Limb", and "Split Needles" in particular and they're well worth a listen, but if you dabble in this genre or sound a lot, I'd recommend previewing the album through iTunes or whatnot before buying, as it might not necessarily blow you away.

Arcade Fire - Neon Bible

The more I listen to Funeral, which I mentioned earlier, the more I like it, and I was more eager for this new album than any in recent memory.

As most of the major media reviews point out, it is a bet less introverted in subject matter.  The instrumentals are still grandiose at times, though in many spaces the sound is cleaner and more spartan than the intricacies of the last album.  Though overall Neon Bible is not as strong as their previous effort, the band was still able to create a varied collection of interesting tracks, and this is certainly not a "sophomore slump" record. 

"Intervention" is fantastic, sort of analogous to Funeral's signature "Rebellion (Lies)", though darker in tone.  It opens with an expansive organ sound and just seems to have a powerful, churning sound throughout.  "Keep the Car Running" is another standout vaguely reminiscent of some of the last albums "Neighbourhood" tracks in sound, and my selection of early favorites is rounded out by "No Cars Go".  In its original form on their old EP, this was quite a good song, and this new version is arguably better, with a more propulsive sound and more of a call to action with the stronger "Hey!" and "Enfants, let's go!" bits.  The accordion--or whatever the hell the keening sound throughout the track is--has been toned down a bit, which is both good or bad, while the guitar has a bit more of the stereotypical indie sound.

I'd definitely recommend this album, though Funeral is slightly superior and is probably a prerequisite.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 08:26:30 AM by Broken Subspace Scene »

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2007, 01:19:47 AM »
Papa Roach - "The Paramour Sessions" - I thourouly enjoyed "Getting Away with Murder" and really looked forward to this new that pretty much slipped under my nose.  From what Ive heard 2 cut tracks from "Getting Away with Murder"  are included on this album and Im sorry to say that it shows.  Track 1 through 6 are pretty solid with 5 "Forever" being the best song on the album.  The only other songs that I enjoyed after that were the last 2.  12 "The Fire" and "Roses on my Grave". 
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2007, 04:37:16 AM »
A friend of mine suggested I pick up "Monster" by Frank Peretti, because she knows I like books about big things that eat people (Jaws, Meg, etc). Then part way through I found out it was a Christian Novel. It's a good thing I got it from the library and didn't buy it.

It was OK, until about a quarter of the way in when the author started to beat you over the head with his Creationist views. All the scientists in the book are portrayed as egotistical, abusive, assholes, who's only goal in life is to poke monkeys in the brain, mutate rats, and create super creatures, and suppress the views of other, to prove evolution exists. All the "Good" guys are portrayed as moral, friendly, kind, and always right. In this book all Christians are good people, and all  are bad, stupid, or on drugs.

He can't even get the science right (Come on! Full DNA sequence from a triceratops? and I don't meant the Jurassic Park "We mixed badly degraded Dino DNA with Frog DNA to create Dino/Frog hybrids, then manipulated them to look like female dinosaurs". No, I mean they cracked something open and got 100% pure, non-degraded 65 Million year old Dino DNA without genetic manipulation.). A couple of times he mentions how Mutations don't work, and if a mutation in a animal happens they die, that's his only argument against evolution. Nothing but fluff science that would put Steven Alten to shame, have truths, Christian Pseudoscience, and in a couple of cases out right lies.

Everytime a "Good Guy" dies or is attacked it's a huge tragedy, but everytime anyone else is attacked, everyone in the book assumes they were on drugs.

If you like monster books, try it, but don't expect much, otherwise AVOID AT ALL COSTS. I think my friend owes me a few kegs of good Ole' Molson just so I can get rid of the bad taste from this book.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 04:50:22 AM by Xero »
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Rusty

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2007, 04:51:49 AM »
Does it go to show that those writers who have a scientific mind and / or have an open-minded imagination should be writing science-fiction?
Edmund: I remember Massingburg's most famous case, the case of the bloody knife. A man was found next to a murdured body, he had the knife in his hand, thirteen witnesses that seen him stab the victim, and when the police arrived he said, "I'm glad I killed the bastard." Massingbird not only got him off, but he got him knighted in the New Year's Honors list, and the relatives of the victim had to pay to have the blood washed out of his jacket.
Perkins: And he's a dab hand at the prosecution, Sir.
Edmund: Yes, well, look at Oscar Wilde.
Perkins: Oh, butch Oscar.
Edmund: Big, bearded, bonking, butch Oscar - the terror of the ladies. 114 illegitamate children, world heavyweight boxing champion, and author of the best-selling phamplet, "Why I Like To Do It With Girls". Massingbird had him sent down for being a woopsie.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2007, 05:07:23 AM »
If he didn't portray all Christians as morally right,and everyone else are idiots, I would have enjoyed the book better. But the fact he takes a bat to the side of your head while calling all evolutionists evil, immoral, assholes, not only took away the fun of the book, but makes the writer look like a bigger idiot.

Of course I was expecting to much from a book I found out later was a Christian novel.

I like imaginative books, just not when the whole purpose is to call people retards.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Rusty

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2007, 05:11:08 AM »
Or to prop up the ideals of like-minded individuals "Yay! We're Christians!"
Edmund: I remember Massingburg's most famous case, the case of the bloody knife. A man was found next to a murdured body, he had the knife in his hand, thirteen witnesses that seen him stab the victim, and when the police arrived he said, "I'm glad I killed the bastard." Massingbird not only got him off, but he got him knighted in the New Year's Honors list, and the relatives of the victim had to pay to have the blood washed out of his jacket.
Edmund: Big, bearded, bonking, butch Oscar - the terror of the ladies. 114 illegitamate children, world heavyweight boxing champion, and author of the best-selling phamplet, "Why I Like To Do It With Girls". Massingbird had him sent down for being a woopsie.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2007, 06:30:38 AM »
He can't even get the science right (Come on! Full DNA sequence from a triceratops? and I don't meant the Jurassic Park "We mixed badly degraded Dino DNA with Frog DNA to create Dino/Frog hybrids, then manipulated them to look like female dinosaurs". No, I mean they cracked something open and got 100% pure, non-degraded 65 Million year old Dino DNA without genetic manipulation.). A couple of times he mentions how Mutations don't work, and if a mutation in a animal happens they die, that's his only argument against evolution. Nothing but fluff science that would put Steven Alten to shame, have truths, Christian Pseudoscience, and in a couple of cases out right lies.

I wonder if this guy knows that humans (and other primates) have a mutation in the gene that is responsible for creating the enzymes that synthesize Vitamin C.  That's right other animals can just make Vitamin C and we have to get it from food.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Rusty

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2007, 06:45:36 AM »
You serious? Didn't know that!

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2007, 07:25:57 AM »
You serious? Didn't know that!

Yep, very serious.  I didn't know it until I took Biochemistry a year ago and was reading in the textbook and saw that.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2007, 09:25:55 PM »
I'm posting this here snce it has more to do with music and may get overlooked in the Fun & Games forum. 

No matter if you like or hate Eminem, this will make you laugh, that is if you know his music.  Otherwise you're not likely to get the joke, but check it out if you know the music.  It's a compilation of Every One of Shady's Songs.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2007, 03:17:04 AM »
That's hilarious, and so true. ;D

Offline Admiral Ross

• Veteran Member
  • Token SCN Paleo-Con
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2007, 04:44:21 AM »
Ha!  That was pretty good...and funny since I had some drunk the other night telling me how much I looked like Eminem.
“Fear God and Dread Nought”

- Motto of Admiral Sir John Fisher

Offline Da Vinci

• Dutchman in Her Majesty's lands
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2007, 04:43:29 AM »
Actually, one of the comments is even better:
(sic)
yo assholes if ya acuuly listen to da words u wouldnt be talkin he sigsn bout tht fro a reason dont cha think tht….i kno most of his sogns he talks bout his life okay and if hailie’s his life i wounder why maybe cuz ITS HIS DOUGHER!!!!adn kim fucked his life gud and so did his mom and dre helped him so next time u wanna talk bout em think okay
I kid you not, somebody actually managed to get this amount of language mutilation into such a small space. It's quite incredible.
Godwin's law rephrased: reductio ad Hitlerum

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2007, 11:21:24 AM »
That guy just misses the whole point.  It's a joke!

And to rant a bit, I can't stand that kind of writing.  My brother types like that whenever I speak to him on MSN so I finally just had to stop talking to him over IM becasue I couldn't understand what he as trying to say.  Plus he was drunk a lot of the time so that didn't help much either.  "What are you saying?  Why are there numbers in there?  Quit butchering the English language and stop to form a coherent sentence before replying."
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2007, 04:53:03 AM »
That guy just misses the whole point.  It's a joke!

And to rant a bit, I can't stand that kind of writing.  My brother types like that whenever I speak to him on MSN so I finally just had to stop talking to him over IM becasue I couldn't understand what he as trying to say.  Plus he was drunk a lot of the time so that didn't help much either.  "What are you saying?  Why are there numbers in there?  Quit butchering the English language and stop to form a coherent sentence before replying."

What Jimi actually means to say is:

TAHT GUY JUST MIS3S TEH WHOL3 POINT!!!!1 OMG ITS A JOKA

AND!!1111 OMG 2 RANT A BIT I CANT STAND TAHT KIND OF WRITNG!1!1!!1 WTF MAH BROTH3R TYPAS LIEK TAHT WH3NEVER I SPAAK 2 HIM ON MSN SO I FINALY JUST HAD 2 S2P TOKNG 2 HIM OV3R IM BCASUE I CUDNT UNDARSTAND WUT H3 AS TRYNG 2 SAY!!111!1! OMG WTF PLUS H3 WAS DRUNK A LOT OF DA TIEM SO TAHT DIDNT HELP MUCH 3ITHAR!!111!!!! LOL WUT R U SAYNG?!!!?? OMG WTF LOL Y R THEIR NUMBRS IN THARA?!!?!!!? WTF QUIT BUTCH3RNG TEH 3NGLISH LANGUAEG AND S2P 2 FORM A COARENT SENTENCE BFORE RAPLYNG!!!!1 WTF LOL

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2007, 04:57:01 AM »
My nephew used to type like that until I told him "You're 20 years old, stop typing like a 13 year old"

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2007, 09:35:55 AM »
It's not as bad as that, though considering he's about 32 years old maybe it's worse.

Offline USS Mariner

• Absolutley Right™
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2007, 02:36:26 PM »
This isn't a review, but it seems to fit this topic better than others. Plus, we need to liven this topic up a bit more, so perhaps we should include music and book news here as well if that's alright with you Jimi?

Singer Cornell quits Audioslave

Audioslave frontman Chris Cornell is leaving the rock supergroup, blaming "irresolvable personality conflicts as well as musical differences".

The singer, who also performed the latest James Bond theme tune, will release his second solo album in May.

Cornell formed Audioslave in 2001 with three former members of Rage Against the Machine, who will reform in April.

The star said: "I wish the other three members nothing but the best in all of their future endeavours."

Cornell, 42, found fame as singer and guitarist with Seattle grunge band Soundgarden, who split in 1997. He released his first solo album, Euphoria Morning, in 1999.

Cornell also wrote and sang You Know My Name - the theme to Casino Royale, starring Daniel Craig.

Meanwhile, Rage Against the Machine will reunite to perform at this year's Coachella Valley Arts and Music Festival, which runs from 27-29 April.

Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave guitarist Tom Morello has said the concert will be a one-off.

Morello is also releasing a debut solo album, One Man Revolution, on 24 April, under the name The Nightwatchman.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6369185.stm

Can't say that I'm surprised as this has been a troubled partnership from the start, but it is a shame because they made some great music and pairings of one of the most unique vocalists and greatest guitarists don't come along that often anymore.

Stay with a damn band already! Errrgh!

I liked Audioslave, it wasn't the Second Coming of Soundgarden but not that bad either.

In the spirit of the thread, I'll review my current favorite of the Band Emeritus: Revelations

"Revelations" - Probably the best intro song I've heard, along with a very strong melody. Definitely of my favorites from Audioslave.

"One and the Same" - Very nice work here, good

"Sound of a Gun" - I initially loved this track, but recently, I've been skipping over it. It's a very good song, it's just missing something.

"Until We Fall" - A classic, simply classic (in more ways than one.)

"Original Fire" - A great song, but it's not really the best or one of the greatest on the album.

"Broken City" - Very different turn here, no gigantic leaps in sound, though very textured.

"Somedays" - Now that's what I'm talking 'bout! I can see this being redone as a rap song (though I wish it was 12 years ago, because now it'll be done by some tard-ass Curtis Jackson clone.)

"Shape of Things to Come" - Meh for the Family.

"Jewel of the Summertime" - Also Meh, though livelier Meh.

"Wide Awake" - One of the best Bush-Bash songs I've heard, as well as being a kick-ass rock song.

"Nothing Left to Say But Goodbye" - My favorite from Audioslave, very personal, very sweet music, and I see shades of myself in here that creep me out.

"Moth" - Awesome song, but it's very "incomplete." Repetitive too.
"Improve a mechanical device and you may double productivity. But improve man, you gain a thousandfold." - Khan Noonien Singh
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2007, 06:58:13 PM »
"Revelations" - Probably the best intro song I've heard, along with a very strong melody. Definitely of my favorites from Audioslave.

"Cochise" would like a word with you, sir...

"Wide Awake" - One of the best Bush-Bash songs I've heard, as well as being a kick-ass rock song.

I agree, I absolutely love this song.  I found it did tackle current issues without being corny or just "RAR!  BUSH SUX!1!!" like a lot of bands who claim to have something to say tend to put out.

"Nothing Left to Say But Goodbye" - My favorite from Audioslave, very personal, very sweet music, and I see shades of myself in here that creep me out.

Yeah, I really like dig both of these as well, particularly "Nothing Left to Say But Goodbye".  However, I can't believe you call "Moth" repetitive but love "Original Fire" ;)

I think their first record is a classic...I adore "Cochise", "Shadow on the Sun", "The Last Remaining Light", "Show Me How To Live", etc.  While they seemed to never touch their potential, Revelations is at least way more cohesive and, for the most part, flat out better than Out of Exile.

Cornell's solo work will probably be pretty decent.  While his vocal quality isn't as good as it used to be, the man can make a great hook and above-par lyrics.  If you haven't heard his old solo album Euphoria Morning, you might want to check it out.  It was pretty good, although it felt a little weak; it is quite a bit lighter than even late-era Soundgarden, and it just felt like it needed more strength in the instrumentals to match his vocals.  "Follow My Way", "Steel Rain", and "Can't Change Me" are probably the standouts.

Offline USS Mariner

• Absolutley Right™
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2007, 04:03:23 PM »

Yeah, I really like dig both of these as well, particularly "Nothing Left to Say But Goodbye".  However, I can't believe you call "Moth" repetitive but love "Original Fire" ;)

Maybe because I don't really like "Original Fire" that much. :P

Of course, "Moth" was a rush job. I'll really love to hear the unused stuff that was cut out of the album.

I think their first record is a classic...I adore "Cochise", "Shadow on the Sun", "The Last Remaining Light", "Show Me How To Live", etc.  While they seemed to never touch their potential, Revelations is at least way more cohesive and, for the most part, flat out better than Out of Exile.

Two piles of shit in a handbag are better than Out of Exile (as a whole.) And I'm not talking about Bush and Shotgun Dick either.

If you want a roasting, ask me to review that  glorified coaster. Just try me.

Cornell's solo work will probably be pretty decent.  While his vocal quality isn't as good as it used to be, the man can make a great hook and above-par lyrics.  If you haven't heard his old solo album Euphoria Morning, you might want to check it out.  It was pretty good, although it felt a little weak; it is quite a bit lighter than even late-era Soundgarden, and it just felt like it needed more strength in the instrumentals to match his vocals.  "Follow My Way", "Steel Rain", and "Can't Change Me" are probably the standouts.

Your forgetting "Sweet Euphoria." That is Chris at his finest (alone, anyway.) For everything else, the instrumentals sucked, which is a shame because of the level of craft in the songs.

Chris needs a band though. I really wish Soundgarden would just do one last tour or something, because all this "Let's not ruin the memories" shit is ridiculous. You're telling me you won't share that time with us? Talk about greedy bastards.

I'm just sick of bands that I love breaking up during my preteen years, so I never get to see them live. I was this close to going to the Out of Exile tour in PA. I assumed that I'd had a better shot next time...
"Improve a mechanical device and you may double productivity. But improve man, you gain a thousandfold." - Khan Noonien Singh
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2007, 06:37:22 AM »
I picked up Tom Morello's solo debut as The Nightwatchman, One Man Revolution

The album is political folk rock throughout, if that makes any sense, without his characteristic electric guitar with-a-truck-full-of-effects.  While this isn't really my genre, I tried to keep an open mind, but still found myself disappointed.  Morello's voice isn't terrible and it's okay for this type of slow singing, but it's still serviceable at best, and some of the lyrics are more than a bit ham-fisted. 

That's not to say the album is horrible.  Morello creates kind of a murky atmosphere throughout the disk (the songs are of "bitterness and revenge"); a lot of it feels like good, moody 'lonely highway at midnight' music.  Early standouts to me are "The Garden of Gethsemane", "Battle Hymns", "No One Left", and "Until The End"  B-

Also, if any of you guys like the White Stripes, the new single, "Icky Thump", was released a couple days ago via iTunes and such. The track it sounds more like their first albums rather than Get Behind Me Satan, and it's a pretty decent.  If I don't get tickets to their tour this summer I'm going to cry profusely.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2007, 01:11:43 AM »
With my return I bring a new review.  Anyone who knows me knows that Im a big Nine Inch Nails fan.  Needless to say I was stoked when Mr Reznor released a new album a mere 2 years after the last one (anyone who knows NIN knows that it can be nearly a 5 year space between albums).  "Highly conceptual. Quite noisy. F@!#ing cool" is how Reznor describes "Year Zero". "Year Zero" portrays a bleak picture of (presumably) American society sometime in the not too distant future. Conflict abounds, militarily and between classes, which is the major theme of the album. Different songs offer different perspectives of this futuristic world--from soldiers ("the good solider,") to greedy industrialists ("capital G") to extra-terrestrials; the listener sees this corrupt society from different vantage points.  Im rather picky when it comes to music so I consider it a success if I like more than 3 songs on an album.  Quite frankly Ive caught myself listening to this thing in one sitting.  My favorite song happens to be Capital G which is a sort of satire on the self righteous corporate right wing type thinking ("The biggest problem with the way that we've been doing things is
he more we let you have the less that I'll be keeping for me" ring a bell anyone?).  Though some of the other great tracks include "The Beginning of the end", "My Violent heart", "Meet your Master" and "in This Twilight".  9/10

Offline Kestra

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2007, 10:24:39 AM »
^^^ I liked it quite a bit as well, Razor.

I recently picked up a book called Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking, by Malcolm Dowell.  It's a pleasant, easy read and the type of book that is good to read on a plane, in my opinion.  He talks about something called the "adaptive unconscious" which is what assists us in things like snap judgements and decisions arrived at quickly through our subconsious.  What's interesting is that he proposes these quick judgements are often just as accurate as those we take days or weeks to arrive at.  Ultimately some of his examples are flawed and he fails to form a coherent theory or deliver the reader to a decent conclusion.  I think it's still worth a read, because it just gets you thinking and looking at your own thought process from a different view.
... dancing in the night in the middle of June ...